Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Human Flail
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1

The Human Flail

Jan 6, 2018, 8:39 PM

Joe E. did not look like a football player. If we had had a high school band back in the 1930's, he would probably have been tooting a tuba. But when he put on a football uniform he was a danger to both his own team mates and our opponents. Players were not as big back in the old days, Joe was about six feet tall and weighed about 165 - 170 pounds and his usual position was at left tackle.

Coach C. Aubrey Smith attempted to teach Joe the proper method for blocking but Joe didn't adopt Coach Smith's suggestions. Joe preferred the old "flail" method. It can best be described as placing one's hands on the ground and swinging the body in a circular motion. Anyone and anything within that circular path was in the danger zone. In practice one day I was playing left end. At the snap of the ball, Joe executed his "flail" blocking and one of those hard rubber cleats hit my left leg. Now, about 80 years later, I still have a visible reminder of Joe's unorthodox blocking technique.

From that point on, those of us playing left end lined up a beyond his circular path. Unfortunately, I got nicked again by Joe at practice one day. I asked Coach Smith if I could move to right end and I considered it an early Christmas present when he OKed the move.

Even the officials did not escape Joe's patented flail. In one game the official was knocked down and the hard rubber cleats drew blood on the official's leg. Time had to be called so the official could get medical attention. After graduating high school, Joe entered the University of Florida and was a walk on for football. He didn't make the cut. I don't know if it was because he didn't have the talent or if his "flail" blocking method was injuring too many of the other players.

Joe entered military service during WW2. Following his discharge, he returned to the university, receiving his BS and Masters degrees. He eventually earned his PhD and was a high school principal. He suffered a fatal heart attack when he was in his early 50's. Joe E. was a fun guy.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Human Flail

Jan 6, 2018, 8:40 PM

Love the stories. Keep em coming.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic