Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Dude"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,524

The "Dude"

Jun 1, 2012, 4:45 PM

Thursday, May 31, 2012What did you expect?

Imagine the scene: Chuck Neinas walks up the podium and boldly declares “With the 11th and 12th picks in the college football expansion draft the Big 12 conference selects Florida State and Clemson universities.”

The Twitterverse would have exploded.

Instead the Big 12 threw a big wet blanket on expansion.

The Big 12 is happy with 10.

The Big 12 hasn’t contacted either FSU or Clemson.

Neinas denied it all.

Before you hit the panic button think back to last year when SEC commissioner Mike Slive sated the SEC was happy with 12.

The SEC was so happy with 12 that they added Texas A&M.

Slive then went on record saying the SEC was happy with 13.

Somebody in Birmingham must have suffered from triskaidekaphobia because the SEC promptly added Missouri.

Get the picture?

We should have all learned by now when a conference says it’s happy with x number of members that expansion is just around the corner.

And expansion is just around the corner for the Big 12 with the addition of FSU and Clemson.

FSU and Clemson are still on track, but nothing will happen until Bob Bowlsby takes office and the BCS vote is finalized.

It’s that BCS vote that will determine if the Big 12 expands to 12 or 14.

If Notre Dame is forced into a conference by the new BCS deal then it’s a solid bet that the Big 12 will be their new home.

And if you doubt expansion is still on track consider what Bowlsby said yesterday to Dennis Dodd: “The Big 12 certainly doesn't want to make the same mistake three times, admiring that national landscape while the world passes it by.”

Miscellany

I suggest that everyone read Dennis Dodd’s article posted last night:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19206833/big-12s-born-again-and-feeling-its-oats-sitting-at-10-12-or-14

But when you do don’t overreact to the dollar numbers mentioned. The key here is the “at least $20 million”. The number with FSU and Clemson is expected to be closer to $25 million without the money for a championship game or the new champions bowl.

In Dodd’s story he says “One industry source said that number applies whether the Big 12 invites, "Appalachian State or Florida State." but that’s not an accurate portrayal of the contract.

FSU will be the first to move. FSU will more than likely submit a written request to be considered for Big 12 membership along with the necessary paperwork shortly after the BCS vote on June 20th. I’m not going to put any date on it but if we haven’t heard word of FSU’s intentions by the end of June I’ll start to worry.

Contrary to popular belief withdrawing from the ACC before applying is not required by the Big 12. WVU accepted an invitation to the Big 12 and then sent notice to the Big East.

Clemson is still 1 or 2 votes shy of having their Board of Trustees approve a move to the Big 12. Once its clear that the ACC is effectively out of the picture for the BCS playoff system its expected Clemson will have all the votes it needs.

FSU’s Board of Trustee is ready to move. If they had their way FSU would have danced into the Big 12 meetings with cowboy hats singing “Home on the Range”.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry...

Jun 1, 2012, 4:46 PM

but if Chuck Neinas had walked up to the podium and said that, it would have been pretty bad@ss.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

So now the Big 12 won't require us to withdraw from the ACC

Jun 1, 2012, 5:14 PM

before we "apply". Are we going to apply on our own, or must an invitation be extended first, as Wilkins and TDP said? Or, is an invitation the same thing as an application? Will the ACC "require" us to withdraw before allowing the Big 12 to extend an invitation? In an "official", public capacity, who must or who will make the first move? Does anybody really know?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I believe most of the dude's bullchit cause he says what...

Jun 1, 2012, 8:37 PM

I want to hear. As far a ND and the Big 12, pffff! ND's first choice is B1G. Second choice is ACC and the Big 12 comes in third because of teh sux of the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why do ppl think

Jun 1, 2012, 9:40 PM

that notre dame would want to come the acc?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,524
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic