Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Dabo caused Boyd to lose money" narrative
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

The "Dabo caused Boyd to lose money" narrative

Jan 26, 2014, 3:05 PM

Is being spread like chicken manure on a field by Gamecock fans these days. They just can't comprehend how anyone would want to actually complete their eligibility if they could possibly drafted, so the only answer is that Dabo must by lying to these guys to get them to come back. Heck Bruce Ellington probably won't go until the 4th or 5th round, but as soon as he saw a chance to leave the urban wasteland of Columbia (and possibly remove himself from Frank Martin spittle range) he signed with an agent faster than Clowney driving to the stadium.

Boyd didn't help or hurt himself by coming back, but got to enjoy another year as a college student. He will be drafted somewhere between rounds 3-5 and will sit on the bench and watch for a while. He didn't hurt his overall earning potential at all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only way that conclusion makes sense is if you assume

Jan 26, 2014, 3:10 PM

he would have done better in any drills or performance after he would have left last year. And if you only measure draft performance.

Otherwise, staying another year added a heck of a lot to his stats, even though it produced a couple of bad games. But 2012 produced a couple of bad games or more, too. So, it's a wash.

And equally valid argument is that he's got more experience under his belt so that wherever he lands, he will be even more ready to train and retrain to adapt and play better.

Re: The only way that conclusion makes sense is if you assume

Jan 26, 2014, 3:14 PM

Bruce Ellington had already graduated so it made since for him to leave.

Hope he enjoys the 4th or 5th round

Jan 26, 2014, 3:16 PM

Of course, he could have stayed and improved his draft stock, maybe even taken a few graduate level classes, but I don't blame him for not sticking around Columbia. Notice I didn't mention anything about graduating, just mentioned completing eligibility. Like I said, the farther he is away from Frank Martin's soon to be televised meltdown, the better.

Re: Hope he enjoys the 4th or 5th round

Jan 26, 2014, 3:57 PM

how could he have improved his draft stock? by getting taller?

Catching more passes and scoring more touchdowns

Jan 26, 2014, 4:08 PM

because he would be playing with throwing instead of running q.b.

that makes more since.***

Jan 26, 2014, 4:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: that makes more since.***

Jan 26, 2014, 5:03 PM

He tutored the Clown in English....

But he doesn't have the ability to play WR at the NFL level

Jan 26, 2014, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The only way that conclusion makes sense is if you assume ]

so it would have been better for him to stay an extra year, and add more stats and enjoy one more year of college ball. Instead of feeling himself too much, and he most likely will never see that much time on the field in the NFL before he is cut and his short career is over.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2014, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Re: The only way that conclusion makes sense is if you assume ]

It's "sense"...the proper spelling of the word you were groping for....you graduated from Coot U obviously????

Since when??***

Jan 26, 2014, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Re: The only way that conclusion makes sense is if you assume ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These are Coot fans

Jan 26, 2014, 3:14 PM [ in reply to The only way that conclusion makes sense is if you assume ]

That have a "Dabo is selfish and doesn't care about his players" narrative they try and fit everything into, because they can't comprehend players actually enjoying their college experience.

and don't think Slurrier is a drunk.***

Jan 26, 2014, 4:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 26, 2014, 4:44 PM [ in reply to The only way that conclusion makes sense is if you assume ]

Tajh's mechanics seem to be off all of last season to me. I really have thought that the QB guru he was seeing out in Cali may have screwed Tajh's mechanics up. Just saying that IMO, he was a better QB the 2012 season than 2013.

Remember in the 2012 season

Jan 26, 2014, 4:47 PM

He had Sammy and Nuk on the field at the same time. That opened things up for him. He looks like the same Q.B. to me.

Last year there were fewer good QBs in the draft

Jan 26, 2014, 8:10 PM [ in reply to The only way that conclusion makes sense is if you assume ]

Im glad he came back but lets not kid ourselves...it cost tb dearly. Our university and in particular Dabo owes that young man. It worked out for spiller but that was a diff situation. Taj was given horrendous ly bad advice.

Most importantly, he got a degree from Clemson University.

Jan 26, 2014, 3:14 PM

Contrary to popular opinion, that is the purpose of college.

Re: Most importantly, he got a degree from Clemson University.

Jan 26, 2014, 5:23 PM

I couldn't agree with you more. No matter what happens in FB from here on out, he has his degree to always fall back on. And as we all know, A Clemson degree is actually worth something!!!

It's a fair argument that he hurt is draft position

Jan 26, 2014, 3:31 PM

mainly because there are a greater number of QBs in this draft season that the media and some scouts drool over. My point is that Boyd's performance hasn't eroded, nor did he get hurt or show any vulnerabilities to injury (just the opposite, actually). So, the Boyd who didn't do as well as he should have in the drills and play in the Senior Bowl is the same one who would have been waiting for selection last year. Except with a little more experience now. Nothing about staying around this year changed his performance, just the class of draftees. Using "coot" logic as you say, a player should never consider school or futher college play as long as they can be drafted. Go as soon as you can. Silly.

No one will know whether Boyd did the right thing or not until a few years out from playing in the league.

I don't really even buy that

Jan 26, 2014, 3:33 PM

Boyd probably has the same chance of a team reaching for him this season as he did last season. Once you get past Manziel, Bridgewater, and possibly Bortles it's really a grab bag of Q.B.'s with question marks. If you want a guy who can drive it down the field to develop, you draft Boyd in the 3rd -5th round. The same thing would have happened last year.

He was solid 2nd roung stock last season, some even

Jan 26, 2014, 3:44 PM

put him late 1st in mock drafts.

He didn't hurt his position for being drafted in general, just the timing. So most project, anyway.

That was before stuff like work outs and measurements

Jan 26, 2014, 3:46 PM

I think once he measures less than 6'1 and the scouts break down all of his game tape, he slips a little. He had hype after the LSU game, but wasn't fully examined by the NFL at that point.

He is a 1/4 an inch shorter than 6'1", that little….

Jan 26, 2014, 3:52 PM

difference isn't going to affect how the NFL looks at him.

Name a QB under 6'1 that has been drafted

Jan 26, 2014, 4:01 PM

in the first 2 rounds.

There isn't some imaginary cutoff for height. Plenty

Jan 26, 2014, 4:22 PM

of QBs within an inch or less of Boyd have been drafted high.

Regardless, given the 2013 class, many who create mock drafts put Boyd high. Not saying they are accurate or good at it necessarily. but they at least didn't see his height being a stopper. Not many QBs went in the first few rounds in 2013 as much due to the who was available as due to the need.

Name one

Jan 26, 2014, 4:23 PM

The NFL is all about measurable in the first 2 rounds. Drew Brees is the last one I remember.

Within an inch or so:

Jan 26, 2014, 4:47 PM

Sanchez
Ponder
Dalton
Pat White (I remember his name mainly because he was such a good dual sport college athlete who was a surprise pick and went bust in the NFL).

That's all on the top of my head.

Using your list

Jan 26, 2014, 4:51 PM

Sanchez: 6'2
Ponder: 6'2
Dalton: 6'2
Pat White: Wasn't drafted to play Q.B.

Boyd isn't quite 6'1. Name a Q.B. in the first 2 rounds 6'1 or under.

Good grief. I said WITHIN an inch. And I also said

Jan 26, 2014, 4:58 PM

there isn't a magical cutoff. Are you trying to prove 6 feet 2 inches exactly is the cutoff?

Don't know where you get your information on White, but he went into the draft season playing and practicing (drills) for QB. And I remember Miami putting him up against Pennington when he was nearing the end of his career.

This is turning into a silly debate.

So, what you're saying is you can't find one

Jan 26, 2014, 5:06 PM

It's not a debate, I'm just looking for facts.

Michael Vick was #1 pick

Jan 26, 2014, 5:42 PM

Drew Brees 6'

russell wilson is 5'11"...4th round

Of those players you named

Jan 26, 2014, 5:47 PM

Wilson was a third round pick. Vick and Brees were both drafted in 2001. You got anyone more recent. I'm not seeing a trend. I would say Wilson is the trend, and he was drafted in the 3rd round.

Also, Flutie was drafted in the 11th round.

Jan 26, 2014, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Michael Vick was #1 pick ]

pick 285.

Are you satisfied? It seems you don't want any discussion

Jan 26, 2014, 6:05 PM [ in reply to So, what you're saying is you can't find one ]

just to say you won some imaginary point of your making.

I stand by my words and my points. Including that Boyd did potentially impact his draft position as "predicted" by those who may or may not be effective at it. But he did not necessarily impact his long term prospects in the NFL.

Whether or not you "won" some theoretical debate about height and draft position and where Boyd would have ended up in a draft he did not enter....well, I'll let you own that victory. Whatever it is.

If no victory will be claimed here, I shall plant my flag

Jan 26, 2014, 11:58 PM

and deem myself victorious...

Coots just don't have players that care about their school..

Jan 26, 2014, 3:47 PM [ in reply to It's a fair argument that he hurt is draft position ]

To nearly all of the coot players, SCU is just a stepping stone, nothing more, nothing less. Coot players simply have no attachment to their "University". To Clemson players, Clemson is a step up and is a University that enriches and improves their lives.

Re: Coots just don't have players that care about their school..

Jan 26, 2014, 3:59 PM

Tajh already had his degree(or at least he was there for 4 years so he should have gotten it), and he didnt get a masters... so what did he get out of the extra year academically?

I can maybe understand wanting to play college ball more than pro but the academic part really isn't applicable in his situation.

he earned a feeling that you will never experience:

Jan 26, 2014, 4:22 PM

http://blog.postandcourier.com/tiger-tracks/2013/12/19/boyd-rollins-clemson-student-athletes-graduating-thursday/

He would have been drafted high last year...

Jan 26, 2014, 3:41 PM

but at the same time it will be better for him not having all that pressure put on him coming right into the league by being a high draft pick. Boyd made the decision on his own.

He is the exact same Q.B.

Jan 26, 2014, 3:43 PM

Like I said, when it is all said and done last year he is still probably somewhere between 3-5.

I agree on that….

Jan 26, 2014, 3:51 PM

it's just that this years QB class is better than last years QB class. Don't forget EJ Manuel was the first QB taken. And a very flawed Geno Smith was drafted in the 2nd round and given the starting job. Tajh would have had a great chance to be a 2nd round pick last year. Although, some of the QB's in this draft class are being overrated (Zach Mettenburger, Johnny Manziel), it is better than last years class.

It really comes down to need at this point

Jan 26, 2014, 3:55 PM

Boyd is not an instant starter, and you don't spend a draft pick on a backup Q.B. in the first or second round unless he is a sure first round talent that has slipped like Aaron Rodgers...or gulp...Brady Quinn. The difference between Manuel and Smith and Boyd is that the fist 2 mentioned have all of the NFL tangibles in terms of size.

Why aren't the coots talking about the "Steve Spurrier….

Jan 26, 2014, 3:42 PM

ran Marcus Lattimore into the ground, to feed his self serving ego" narrative. Same thing is about to happen to Mike Davis.

He def lost out by coming back but ultimately that's on Tajh

Jan 26, 2014, 3:47 PM

Dabo tried to convince Nuk to stay but Nuk made his own decision and it paid off

So you don't think Nuk would have been a first round pick

Jan 26, 2014, 3:50 PM

This season? Nuk may or may not have maxed out his draft stock. He made it into the bottom of the 1st round, but back to back seasons would have put him in the top 10 most likely. He cashed in a year sooner, but did he cash in for more money? It's really all a gamble. Also, again, Boyd is a 3rd-5th round pick in this years or last years draft. He shot up draft boards before he was really dissected by the NFL.

Re: So you don't think Nuk would have been a first round pick

Jan 26, 2014, 4:02 PM

Nuk also won't be a one contract guy. He'll get more prime years in the nfl, which will equal more money. not to mention he will get to his second contract sooner as well, which will likely be a big pay raise for him

If he is a 2 contract NFL talent

Jan 26, 2014, 4:07 PM

Does 1 year really matter?

Re: The "Dabo caused Boyd to lose money" narrative

Jan 26, 2014, 4:04 PM

OBS is too busy wearing out running backs!

Why worry what coots think? Tajh made the decision to

Jan 26, 2014, 4:51 PM

come back for his senior year, said he is glad he came back so not sure why anyone cares what a coot says?

Dabo didn't put a gun to his head and force him to come back

Jan 26, 2014, 5:28 PM

Plus i really don't think Tajh would've been drafted that much higher last year, and he certainly wouldn't have actually been a better QB. He's either going to make it or he's gonna get cut in a couple years.

That's pretty much my argument as well

Jan 26, 2014, 5:35 PM

His stock was high because he hadn't been put under the NFL microscope. He is a 3rd-5th round pick that will need to develop to earn a second contract. Same this year as last year.

I feel bad for the guy

Jan 26, 2014, 7:51 PM

He deserves some guarteed money. Not looking good now

Jan 26, 2014, 7:57 PM

Coach Swinmey is the Man!

B. Ellington's decision was smart.

Jan 26, 2014, 8:12 PM

His stock won't get any higher by coming back another year. He will probably get drafted in the 4th or 5th round, but that is his ceiling. Might as well get the money and not risk injury.

Boyd is a grown man who makes his own decisions***

Jan 26, 2014, 8:14 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 26, 2014, 11:17 PM

I hate any of those arguments and here is why:

You can't lose something you don't have. I believe that accountants call it unrealized loss. Basically, it's a semantics game.

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic