Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The CFP is just a pathetic format
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

The CFP is just a pathetic format

Nov 10, 2015, 7:49 PM

OK, hopefully this year, it won't matter and CU will stay in the top 4. I get that. I do get that.

But, if everyone wins out (some won't, but some will) Baylor, Okie State and Iowa won't get in, and that's just wrong for their players, coaches, and fans. All you can ask a team to do is win. The players don't formulate the conference nor the schedule. CFP just has to go to 8 teams or this is just going to be painful, and more painful, each year.

What makes matters worse, is that a 0 or 1 loss Notre Dame is just about always going to be a lock. That's just the politics of CFB, and Alabama has nearly the same guarantee. Today's top four proves my point. It's all about money, and Bama, ND and Ohio State are just huge money programs.

Honestly, I don't think it is an absolute lock that CU stays in. Our SoS really hurts from here on out. IMHO - Bama, Ohio St and Notre Dame are locks (assuming they win out).... so there's going to be real pressure on the committee to put Baylor in if they win out. Waco will burn itself to the ground if they get left out 2 years running. The system is flawed. 8 teams.

In '83, Miami jumped 4 spots from nowhere to win the NC on the day of their bowl. There's no chance for cinderella magic anymore. That's bad for CFB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The CFP is just a pathetic format

Nov 10, 2015, 7:52 PM

If ND is a lock, and CU wins out ... how do you justify a chance that we're not a lock? We beat ND.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep an eye on Baylor

Nov 10, 2015, 8:00 PM

my question is how does the committee justify putting ND ahead of Okie State, Baylor and Iowa? Those pukes came within a Flail Mary of losing to Va. It is 100% politics, and that's the danger to CU.

put it this way... if CU keeps winning, but starts slipping down in the 1 thru 4... to me that's a signal from the committee that they're watching Baylor very closely due to late season SoS.

net, if everybody wins out from here.... Baylor is the only threat to CU, but they're a serious threat.

Re: Keep an eye on Baylor

Nov 10, 2015, 8:22 PM

I think they lose this weekend. But even if they do win, where's the evidence that they have a better than average defense? They've played nobody.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Keep an eye on Baylor

Nov 10, 2015, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Keep an eye on Baylor ]

Iowa came within a field goal of losing to Pitt and Oklahoma State squeaked by a really bad Kansas State team. Baylor hasn't even played a team with a winning record yet.

I'm not saying ND should definitely be ahead of those teams at this point, but they all have flaws and have had games where they didn't look very good. In fact, I'd say every team in the country has struggled at some point. Makes it very hard to get a clear ranking, but it should all shake itself out by the end of the year.

I do agree that there should be an 8 team playoff, but I think when this season is over, 2014 will look like a better argument for 8 teams than 2015 will.

Nov 10, 2015, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: The CFP is just a pathetic format ]

I agree. The CFP is a joke. No team should be able to move into the "TOP 4" if they have already lost to a team that's in the "TOP 4".

No team should have to play / beat a team in the playoffs or championship that they have already beaten during the regular season.

Oh well, nothing ever changes. It will always be about the $$$

First off , do you know what you're saying ?

Nov 10, 2015, 7:56 PM

Baylor and Ok State can't both win out, they play each other.

Iowa ? To win out they'd have to beat Ohio state(if they win out) in the B1G 10 Championship.

Re: First off , do you know what you're saying ?

Nov 10, 2015, 8:11 PM

Thank you! They are in a sense projecting who they think wins out. If Clemson wins out they'll be in the top 4. If we have ugly wins we could drop but we'll stay in. They know that these teams have to play each other. If Ohio state loses they will drop. If notre dame loses to Stanford they will drop. If Oklahoma state wins out they'll likely win. Folks are injecting too much anxiety in this. Let them play it out. I like the respect we have at one but as long as we're in the top 4 our team has a chance to show what they are made of.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Baylor, Okie State, and Iowa are all going to lose at least

Nov 10, 2015, 7:57 PM

once.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i see your point but we are a lock if we win out.

Nov 10, 2015, 7:57 PM

Just maybe the 2 or 3 seed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At this point ,

Nov 10, 2015, 8:00 PM

wouldn't ND have to lose for us to drop, presuming we're still winning? We ARE the only team with a win over a team that is currently in the top 4. FSU not dropping and winning out also helps us.

watch Baylor

Nov 10, 2015, 8:14 PM

my question is how does the committee justify putting ND ahead of Okie State, Baylor and Iowa? Those pukes came within a Flail Mary of losing to Va. It is 100% politics, and that's the danger to CU.

put it this way... if CU keeps winning, but starts slipping down in the 1 thru 4... to me that's a signal from the committee that they're watching Baylor very closely due to late season SoS.

if baylor wins out, and that would be a tall order, that would mean they've tagged OU, okie state, texas and tcu... if they can pull that off, i see no way the committee can keep them out. and if bama, ohio st and nd win out... they're not coming out.. no way... so.. it's a long shot, but frankly, CU's SoS from here on out doesn't stack up to Baylor's.

gonna be interesting if the current four plus baylor all win out.

If Baylor won out,

Nov 10, 2015, 8:37 PM

they pass ND. These rankings are based on what has been done up to this point,not projections.Baylor has played no one while ND has had a tougher schedule up to this point, with their only loss being to the number 1 team in the nation.

Nov 10, 2015, 8:15 PM

If Iowa wins out, they're in. It's a "meh" selection but they'll have to do it by beating Ohio State, which would knock the Buckeyes out.

The Big 12 hosed themselves. They schedule cupcakes every year - their OOC schedules are an embarassment - and to top it all off, they don't just not have a Championship Game, they also keep playing while other conferences are playing their championship games, which gives their teams an extra bye week. Oh, and the conference with the motto of "One True Champion" then tried to get greedy and declared co-champions last year in an effort to get both TCU and Baylor in...and ended up getting in neither.

To add to the fun, their refs are bent. That Oklahoma State/Texas matchup this year - which Texas assuredly should have won, and by 20 - was absolute highway robbery, a fixed match, a shining example of a conference protecting their unbeaten team at the expense of a team that had no chance of making the playoffs. The refs were actually inventing phantom calls, as was shown on SBNation...film doesn't lie. The Committee saw it, clearly; they are not treating Oklahoma State like an unbeaten team...which in reality, they are not, whatever their record says officially.

It's hard to feel sorry for the Big 12. Basically they allowed Texas to run roughshod over the conference at the expense of conference harmony, which led A&M, Nebraska, Missouri, and Colorado to all bolt...losses they have not been able to make up. They grabbed TCU and West Virginia - West Virginia! - to make up for those losses and tried to roll with just 10 teams and a round-robin format. The real irony was that Texas, their flagship and Golden favorite...then proceeded to tank and is now terrible, and even Oklahoma hasn't been that impressive the last 3-4 years.

Even with that TCU/Oklahoma State game last week, none of the "unbeaten" Big 12 teams have a true strength of schedule of stronger than 75 per S&P+. The bottom line is that these Big 12 teams are just not that good. Their most-impressive OOC win thus far...Oklahoma beat 5-4 Tennessee at Rocky Top, which required a miracle 4th-quarter comeback and some serious boneheaded game-management from Butch Jones to accomplish. We saw ourselves how terrible Big 12 defenses were last year...when Oklahoma made Cole Stoudt look like a Heismann Candidate in his last outing as a Tiger.

They could have goosed up their schedules...instead they went "All In" for schedule-fixing, front-loading their schedules with even more cream puffs in the hopes of getting an unbeaten through in what amounts to 4-game back-loaded schedules at the end for their contenders...none of whom, in all honesty, look remotely like Top-15 programs if you analyze their talent on a position-by-position basis.

TCU went to Minnesota and OU went to Tennessee

Nov 10, 2015, 8:22 PM

In non conference. Texas Tech trounced Arkansas non conference. Texas scheduled Cal and ND. And don't forget they play 9 conference games rather than 8. So they don't get the extra FCS game late in the year.

It's a bit off a myth that they play weak OOC games. Only Baylor really

Tell 'em coot!***

Nov 10, 2015, 8:16 PM

don't worry. Everybody has 3-4 games left. Maybe 1-2 will

Nov 10, 2015, 8:30 PM

win out. There are going to be a few every week that fall.

let's see, Bay plays Okie St, OSU plays Iowa, not sure I get

Nov 10, 2015, 8:41 PM

your issue. Better than letting some computers figure it out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: let's see, Bay plays Okie St, OSU plays Iowa, not sure I get

Nov 10, 2015, 8:44 PM

Just another coot troll trying to be sneaky in undermining the Tiger's schedule. 6 teams with winning records, 2 top 20 wins. Best win if anyone against number 4 ND and 3 FBS opponents remaining before a title game against a likely 11-1 UNCheat.

If we win, we're in.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic