Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
“The Best Ever”? Yes, or No?? What do you say - and why?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

“The Best Ever”? Yes, or No?? What do you say - and why?

Jan 13, 2019, 9:47 PM

Does the claim that this years edition of the Clemson Tigers is the BEST squad in college football HISTORY have merit?

I would argue yes, absolutely! ... if for no other reason than they went 15-0 and trounced the team many, if not most had already annointed as the best college football team ever.

What grounds is there for disagreement?

If not the 2028 Clemson Tigers, then who?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2018 Clemson Tigers***

Jan 13, 2019, 9:48 PM

Re: 2018 Clemson Tigers***

Jan 13, 2019, 9:55 PM

No, not the greatest. 2020 Clemson team will be the greatest of all time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: “The Best Ever”? Yes, or No?? What do you say - and why?

Jan 13, 2019, 9:56 PM

I wouldn’t have said so, but since the media fell all over themselves telling us the unbeatable Tua and Bama were the best ever, it does kind of seem we must be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 13, 2019, 10:05 PM

Maybe. Hard to talk in those terms, and hard to compare across the ages. We are the best now. If supposedly Bamer was the best ever we have to be a fair bit better than that.

That is enough for me.

Maybe

Jan 13, 2019, 10:09 PM

They were certainly the best team of the 2018 season. There have been other undefeated teams in the history of college football that also have a claim to 'best ever'. Since 2000, there have been 17 undefeated teams. We average about one per year, but that average will change with the CFP.

I think the more debatable question is this: Was this year's team the best Clemson team ever? Personally, I think it was.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe

Jan 13, 2019, 11:12 PM

I will say the best Clemson team ever and the best team in 2018. They maybe the best ever over all but time will tell.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:17 PM

I would say YES!

You could argue Nebraska or Miami teams were better. But we've proven time and again this team could stuff the triple option. Miami would be a tougher team. But I do believe we would win a close game against the early 2000 Canes teams.
IMHO those are the only 2 teams that could realistically challenge this Tiger team.

Go Tigers

Jan 13, 2019, 11:10 PM

The speed of the game now and then are light years different. There is no comparison esteem the speed then and the speed now. Would there be one or two players that could match the speed of today? Of course!

I don’t think the Miami teams or the Nebraska teams could handle the Clemson of today

Jan 13, 2019, 10:20 PM

Without question and here is why:

1. 15-0 - NCAA record for all intents and purposes (I don’t think they even had the forward pass in 1897)
2. Won 13 games by 20 or more points
3. Beat #1 ranked and #3 ranked teams, each by 27+ points - which hasn’t been done possibly ever (Trevor is considered the first QB it beat two top 5 teams by 25+ points, but what our team did exceeds those bars)
4. Won by an average of 31 points per game without a loss - haven’t seen if this is a record but it has to be close.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:24 PM

Best Clemson team yes. The Best Ever in the history of Ever is a media thing, which I find impossible to measure. It's hard to compare eras to actually determine that, and what's the point anyway?

Jan 13, 2019, 10:37 PM

Agree it’s not really measurable but great for PR to accept the title. Nevertheless, we are indeed genuinely elite across the ages having accomplished what had not been done in the modern era. Wins and losses are how we measure and for that no one can challenge us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dont discount that Nebraska team.

Jan 13, 2019, 10:32 PM

Those years with Tommy Frazier, Nebraska was insane. Frazier is the best option QB, I ever saw and he could air it out too. Everyone knew what was coming but they could flat out manhandle anyone and run right over the top of them. They would definately be in my Top 3 with 2001 Canes and 2018 Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 10:41 PM

I believe in the evolution of athletes.
When William Perry was here, his size and talents were freakish. If he were here today, how would he compare to Christian Wilkins or Dexter Lawrence or any other 300 pounder on any team?
So I would say "Yes." This was the best team ever.
But in 5-10 years there will be a better team. Not necessarily a better record.

Message was edited by: 84TigerDad®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 10:43 PM

I’d say the Fridge would still be freakish and if we can get him back I’m all in favor!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic