Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Belmont Runs Today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

The Belmont Runs Today

Jun 20, 2020, 12:05 PM

I wonder if the horses will have to follow social distancing protocol and wear masks? With the Belmont being the first of the three Triple Crown races rather than the last, since it will be reverse order, I wonder if they will race clockwise rather than the customary counterclockwise.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is also by far the longest race, a mile and a half. That

Jun 20, 2020, 1:00 PM

is why it is nicknamed "The Test of Champions". Horses that have stamina instead of flat out speed can compete in this one. I still remember Secretariat winning this thing by THIRTY ONE LENGTHS! "He is moving like a tremendous MACHINE!"

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but is Secretariat not the only nonhuman to ever win Time Magazine's Athlete of the Year award?

All I can do is be in awe every time I watch Secretariat's Triple Crown races. The words always come: Look at that magnificent SOB RUN!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is also by far the longest race, a mile and a half. That

Jun 20, 2020, 1:11 PM

Indeed. The other owners thought they finally had Secretariat on the longer track...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No horse could 'social distance' like

Jun 20, 2020, 1:16 PM

Secretariat!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: It is also by far the longest race, a mile and a half. That ]

Yep, Secretariat was always a come from behind horse, and the Belmont was the first that Secretariat went for the lead by the 1st turn to the finish. I've been around and road horses a lot over my life time, and they are pretty smart animals, and I think that Secretariat had in his mind that he was going to embarrass Sham and the field that day at the Belmont. Secretariat was the man, and it was said that his heart was twice the size of any Thoroughbred horse they had ever measured. Average heart size was 9lbs, and Secretariat's heart was estimated to be 22 lbs!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhfi6zOLdK4

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I remember watching that race in 1973......

Jun 20, 2020, 1:28 PM [ in reply to It is also by far the longest race, a mile and a half. That ]

couldn't believe how he pulled away from the field and left them in the dust.

Secretariat still holds all three speed/time records for the Triple Crown races!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, I remember watching that race in 1973......

Jun 20, 2020, 4:17 PM

yep that was amazing. "like a giant machine"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 20, 2020, 3:03 PM [ in reply to It is also by far the longest race, a mile and a half. That ]

IMO, Secretariat is the greatest race horse to ever win the triple crown!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic