Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How soon until insurance rates go down due to Obamacare ruling?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 551

How soon until insurance rates go down due to Obamacare ruling?

Dec 17, 2018, 12:46 AM

All this celebrating on the board, I assume our rates will decrease once it gets through the appeal process?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Simple solution

Dec 17, 2018, 1:49 AM

drop the tax if you aren't covered and put loan offices in every hospital. You'll have buy here/pay here mobile medical units popping up all over town.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a bad solution. Have hospital systems issue their own

Dec 17, 2018, 4:40 AM

Credit cards. Like department stores. Get a discount on your purchase of a appendectomy if you sign up for a GHS Visa card. Then they can screw you for years on interest. Should lower costs somewhat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What you’ll see popping up are

Dec 17, 2018, 7:24 AM [ in reply to Simple solution ]

Medical bankruptcy offices and the hospitals will continue to recover loses by charging those who can pay more.

You can either subsidize other’s healthcare through insurance, taxes, or higher rates.
We seem to have decided that higher rates, and now mandated insurance are not the way to go.

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/bankruptcy/can-file-bankruptcy-eliminate-medical-bills.html

I guess we could build sheds across the street from the hospital so those that can’t pay can at least suffer out of sight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What you’ll see popping up are

Dec 17, 2018, 7:47 AM

Great post. It still amazes me when I see people say they don't want to have to pay for the healthcare of others. After a decade debating this, how are people still so uninformed?

I think the point is that the ACA didn't really work...

Dec 17, 2018, 7:59 AM

to bring down costs. The rate of increase in premiums didn't really change overall and most report that their level of coverage dropped (higher co-pays, higher deductibles, higher Rx co-pays, etc...).

So, the question is not whether it's better to have folks with insurance or not, the question is did the ACA work. I would make a case for it did not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the point is that the ACA didn't really work...

Dec 17, 2018, 8:46 AM

I always find it odd that people blame the ACA for increased premiums rather than the insurance companies who actually raised them.

Insurance companies have enjoyed record breaking profits by gouging every American....and people blame the ACA.

Well, the ACA was touted as a means to reduce...

Dec 17, 2018, 9:42 AM

premiums (other part was to expand coverage). It did help to expand coverage, but it didn't work to bring down premiums or slow the net cost of coverage. The premiums continued to rise and the coverage, for many, was reduced or made more expensive.

Can you expound on the claim that insurance companies have had "record breaking profits"? Historically, the insurance companies have profit margins in the 5%-9% range. It's a relatively low-margin business model. It's been a while since I read up on it, but I don't believe the profit-margins of health insurance companies have increased all that much. Do you know different?

I'm not suggesting insurance companies or angels or anything, but if they were gouging the whole system, wouldn't their profit-margins be a lot higher?

Felix...seems we've had this same discussion a few...

Dec 18, 2018, 8:59 AM

times and it always seems to end at this point.

Any more to offer?

Here's a study exploring that idea

Dec 17, 2018, 3:25 PM [ in reply to I think the point is that the ACA didn't really work... ]

https://ldi.upenn.edu/brief/effects-aca-health-care-cost-containment

Re: What you’ll see popping up are

Dec 18, 2018, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Re: What you’ll see popping up are ]

The 10th Amendment takes care of this argument.

No government healthcare system. Period.

That's unfortunate but it is true.

Dec 17, 2018, 8:37 AM [ in reply to What you’ll see popping up are ]

We have congress over the barrel now and should be able to get a real solution to lowering heathcare cost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess things move slowly..still waiting on the -$2500....

Dec 17, 2018, 7:51 AM

Obama promised!

Perhaps “actual” health care and prescription drug costs

Dec 17, 2018, 7:55 AM

Need to be addressed.

Perhaps “actual” health care and prescription drug costs

Dec 17, 2018, 7:56 AM

Need to be addressed.

Replies: 14