Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just to point out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Just to point out

Mar 5, 2020, 10:02 PM

Brad has won more ACC games this year than Butler has won total on the season. Please dont let facts alter your rants and jabs though. Continue to show your ignorance. And no I'm not any happier with the mens season than you

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m optimistic about the potential of this team next season

Mar 5, 2020, 10:08 PM

I don’t know why they were so inconsistent this year. But I know that coaching doesn’t just change drastically week to week, so inconsistency usually is based on execution. They’ve got to manage the highs and lows more even keel.

This was a pretty good season with lots of learning experiences, which should benefit them next year. We only lose one guy, but have several talented players incoming.

I don’t know if Brownell is the answer. But we did show glimpses of drastic improvement this year, so I wouldn’t make any coaching changes yet.

Or just fire them all and reset. The results probably won’t be different.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: I’m optimistic about the potential of this team next season

Mar 5, 2020, 11:23 PM

No, coaching can change drastically week to week. It all depends on what you decide you need to do for that week. Typically, you form a plan. That is usually based on the problems you are having as a team, the teams you will be playing and the things specific to that team and how you will play them, etc. each week could look a lot different. You only get so much time, so you pick and choose how to spend it. If you concentrated so much on the team you are playing, it would be easy to to not get to the things, as a team, you need to do each week.

The women’s team plays very good basketball.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:17 PM

Butler is in her 2nd year, and has an excuse to be rebuilding (or just building).

But the difference in quality of basketball is very clear. I know when I see a well-coached team, and when I see a YMCA-like team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The women’s team plays very good basketball.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:22 PM

yeah sure. We really stunk it up against the 3 top ten teams we beat. You have selective memory and are on a VT rant.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I’ve been watching for a very long time.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:32 PM

You’re hanging your hat on three games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2020, 11:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The women’s team plays very good basketball. ]

we do have 6 other conference wins. You might want to pay attention

Mar 6, 2020, 9:16 AM [ in reply to The women’s team plays very good basketball. ]

Row86® said:

Butler is in her 2nd year, and has an excuse to be rebuilding (or just building).

But the difference in quality of basketball is very clear. I know when I see a well-coached team, and when I see a YMCA-like team.

Brad is in his third year recruiting with a decent facility (had to hide the old space from recruits). We have a young team with more talent on the way. You act like he took over a championship program with palatial facilities and championship banners flying from every rafter.

Good point.

Mar 5, 2020, 10:33 PM

It wasn’t long ago that people were posting snarky comments here about Butler coaching the men’s team.

Don’t get me wrong, I like her, but going from NCAA Tournament last year to being a bad team this year isn’t a good trend. Brad has never had a season with anywhere close to one like our women’s team is having this year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Good point.

Mar 5, 2020, 11:06 PM

Really? Her first 2 years are about the same trend as Brownell’s first 3 at Clemson. He makes 2.5 million per year. She makes 350,000. You’re always making excuses for Brad, such as fan support, resources, facilities, pay, etc. If the men’s bb program is at a disadvantage then I would think the women’s program is even worse off. I guess it only matters if it affects your coach.

Mar 5, 2020, 11:52 PM

Womens hoops used to be a solid top of the conference program. CU elected to get rid of Jim Davis and it has been conf doormat for years now. Through 3 or 4 coaches till coach Butler

Mar 6, 2020, 7:52 AM

Agreed - but why the urge to throw Butler under the bus after one bad year? The women's team has been really bad since Jim Davis (and actually the year before Davis left). We've suffered through 14 consecutive losing seasons until last year, let's give Butler at least another season or 2 to see if she can produce a winner.

Mar 6, 2020, 9:04 AM

Butler will need far more than "another season or two." And that is the error, I believe, in most people's thinking in collegiate sports.

Give a coach 3-4 years, and they will be what they will be. Any more than that has to be earned. That's such flawed thinking. And it doesn't consider any other possible variables involved.

To me, Butler needs 7-8 years before being looked at seriously for evaluation/termination. Yes...7-8 years. She plays in arguably the toughest women's conference in college basketball. She recruits against the very best. She inherited the dumpster fire of all dumpster fires. She went to the tournament last year because she got a lot out of a group of experienced players who had been forced to play for four years because we literally had recruited nobody better for four years. But behind that, we had 1-2 players who could actually play coming back...outside of that, it's Butler's roster to build. And she's doing a pretty good job, by all accounts, at doing that. But those players will still be young for 2-3 more years...and still in the toughest league in the country. And it's not like Louisville and Florida State teams of the world are just going to stop recruiting the top players. It will be a couple of roster cycles before we're able to consistently compete on the floor with those teams, especially on the road. Hence, 7-8 years.

At the same time, the idiotic posts last year about Butler coaching the men's team was some of the most ridiculous notions I've seen from people. She did exactly what Brad did in his first year. She came in and took a fairly experienced group to the NCAA Tournament...something her predecessor probably wouldn't have been able to do (I'm of the opinion that Purnell would not have taken the 2010-11 team to the NCAA Tournament).

That's why, to me, Brad cannot be evaluated for his full 10 years. Do people here really think that Dan Radakovich is going to sit down with Brad Brownell in an end-of-season evaluation and talk with him about what he did from 2010-15? If you think so, you're pretty naive. If you want to fire him for what he's done the last four seasons or so, make that argument, but the "10 year" narrative is so flawed, it's sickening.

Wait, why do you think Purnell wouldn't have

Mar 6, 2020, 11:36 AM

made the tournament in 2010-2011?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Mar 6, 2020, 12:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Good point. ]

I guess the Amanda comments were too much for him to stay in silence.
#triggered

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

That's quite a large pay gap. I understand the free market,

Mar 6, 2020, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Good point. ]

supply and demand, revenue generation, etc. But still...

That's a really bad comparison. First of all she is in

Mar 6, 2020, 8:08 AM

year 2, with a young and talented team with future potential. Second, she didn't inherit a Clemson team that had been to the tournament 3 years in a row. Finally, if Amanda Butler's teams aren't performing better within a couple of years, there's no way she will make it until year 10.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Just to point out

Mar 6, 2020, 9:13 AM

And just to point out she was left a dumpster fire.

Re: Just to point out

Mar 6, 2020, 9:20 AM

armsb said:

And just to point out she was left a dumpster fire.

As was Brad which manifested it self in years 2-3. OP could see his luck had run out and jumped ship. If Butler turns it around and I believe in her, will she stay or jump at the first high program offer?

"As was Brad"

Mar 6, 2020, 11:39 AM

By what metric?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic