Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How has the edge?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

How has the edge?

Dec 10, 2019, 12:37 PM

I will start off by saying I am a huge Ohio State fan but I watch a lot of college football and I am surprised to see the number of Clemson fans that think this game will be so easy. This is not the same team you played in 2016. I think Clemson is a tremendous program and should be a great game in a few weeks.

Here is my early preview of the game

QB- Trevor Lawrence is one of the best I have seen in the last 10 yrs. I also believe he is a very good runner as well and this could hurt the Buckeyes who have had some trouble defending the Q run. Justin Fields has had a great year (40 Td's to 1 Int.) If healthy he can also be very effective running the ball. Edge- Clemson

RB- Both teams have outstanding running backs. Travis Etienne is a home-run hitter that is averaging around 8+ yrds per carry. JK Dobbins has had a really special year and is extremely quick. Edge-Slight edge to Ohio State

WR- To me Clemson has the best WR's in the nation. Ross/Higgins are elite as are the guys behind them. Ohio state has very good receivers too led by Hill and Olave. Edge- Clemson

OL- I think both teams have very solid lines but I will give the edge to Ohio State.

DL- Clemson always has a good/great DL and this yr is no exception. They may not have the names of last year but they are still very good. Ohio State is simply loaded on the DL.led by all-American Chase Young. They also have a lot of other guys that will be high draft picks.
Edge- Ohio State.

LB- I believe that Clemson has the clear edge here led by Isaish Simmons who will be a 1st round pick in the future. He is a tremendous player that is going to cause a lot of problems in this game. Ohio State is improved at LB led by Malik Harrison.
Edge- Clemson

DB's- Ohio state has several NFL prospects in the Defensive backfield let by Okudah, fuller, wade, and Arnette. Clemson is also very talented and led by Kendrick #1 and several others. I will have to give the slight edge to Ohio state but as I said earlier Clemson's WR's are so Elite and tall that they could hurt Ohio State's secondary.

ST's- Kicker/Punter-Edge Ohio State, Returns-Edge Clemson

Coaches- Ryan Day has been great and is a fabulous play caller. Dabo is on another level at this point in his career having build Clemson into a national. power. He is the best coach in the country right now.
Edge-Clemson

Outlook- I believe that Ohio State is going to surprise the Clemson fanbase and the national media by playing a great game led by JK Dobbins and Justin Fields but in the end I believe that Clemson's WR's will be the difference. Clemson 35 Ohio State 31.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Serious question first...

Dec 10, 2019, 12:39 PM

Do you guise wear those nut necklaces all the time, or do you keep them in the top drawer of your bedroom nightstand?

TIA

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

had to go there

Dec 10, 2019, 1:30 PM
giphy.gif(112.5 K)

nm

Re: Serious question first...

Dec 10, 2019, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Serious question first... ]

1994 is nothing more than a childish smart a***.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not nice.

Dec 10, 2019, 5:21 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: How has the edge?

Dec 10, 2019, 12:42 PM

OL. I'll disagree and say the edge is with Clemson, backing it up with the SP+ offensive line actual stats.

ThAt'S bEcAuSe We DoN't PlAy AnYoNe***

Dec 10, 2019, 12:45 PM

Clemson

What is different from 2016 again?

Dec 11, 2019, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: How has the edge? ]

OSU was favored by double digits and supposed to kill us with all of their skill in 2016.

Funny that you think your secondary is better than Clemson’s as I believe we are #1 in that defensive category. Hill/Olawe will be locked down by AJ Terrell and Derion Kendrick.

Okudah, good luck covering Higgins. I have not seen anyone do it. But Okudah is good. Nice recruiting win there as I believe we were in on him as well.

If your OL really ranks 101st sack rate on passing downs you will have serious problems.

I agree you are better than 2016, but we are much better than 2016 team as well. Trevor Lawrence is just really unfair.

I agree it will be a good game. Could go either way, but it could also get ugly if Dobbins can’t run on us.

Also, Day is much better playcaller then you had in 2106.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think your assessment is fair and I was thinking the

Dec 10, 2019, 12:43 PM

score would be about the same.

I think this will be a 4 quarter game and our player depth will be the deciding factor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think your assessment is fair and I was thinking the

Dec 10, 2019, 12:46 PM

Ohio State has a lot of player depth as well. The recruiting ratings over the last several years show this.

Functional depth it’s what we call it. We play more players

Dec 10, 2019, 1:50 PM

Than anyone in the country. Our backups might not be the most talented but they are more reliable than most.

We are playing our best ball at the right time. It’s happened 5 years in a row now, I Agee the bucks will give us a better test than 31-0.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 12:46 PM

You're just kidding yourself or you are exposed to very limited inputs. Most know its good team, most Clemson fans actually understand football and the futility of comparing on match up a couple years ago to today. Make no mistake, no one actually takes OSU lightly and the only surprise was that we were favored at all. So much talent on both teams, no one can pretend like they actually know how its going to go down, noone surprises anyone in this game

Dec 11, 2019, 8:56 AM

I agree with your general assessment - except for the surprises. With three weeks to prepare, both coaching staffs are good enough to find something new that they think will work. That may be the most exciting thing about the game to me - who has found something that will really exploit the other and who can make the best in-game adjustments.

I'm going to bet on our coaching staff. I think our team is more flexible in the things that we can do well and the things we haven't shown yet..

Dec 10, 2019, 12:47 PM

I agree with this assessment for the most part. Clemson O Line is good and frankly has to be one of the better ones we've had in recent years. Clemson D Line is young and improving. Travis Etienne gets ZERO respect. I guess if we played him 4 quarters, we'd see the stats that everyone wants to see - yards per carry is all I need to know that he's a stud.

Dec 10, 2019, 12:49 PM

Etienne is great but so is Dobbins. Neither one of them have played a ton because of all the blowouts both teams had this year.

Dobbins has 100 more carries than Etienne

Dec 10, 2019, 1:04 PM

And 329 more yards. Dobbins has played roughly 4 more games than Etienne as far as carries goes

Clemson

You know how those tight games keep everyone in the seats...

Dec 10, 2019, 12:53 PM

until the last seconds of the game?

Well, the engine in your car won't have time to cool off before you're ready to abandon all hope.

BTW, you compare your WR's to our secondary which also affects how well your QB can complete a pass.

Edge (huge) Clemson

Your secondary to our WR's which also affects how well our QB can complete a pass.

Edge (again, huge) Clemson

With Clemson being so able to torch your secondary our running game becomes a nightmare.

With OSU's passing game struggling your running game becomes a fleeting thought.

Your QB is going to break loose on a couple good runs but when the field shortens he will be severely limited on ypc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You know how those tight games keep everyone in the seats...

Dec 10, 2019, 12:57 PM

Again your secondary is good but Muse is someone that will getting picked on all night. Virginia ate his lunch and Ohio State is light yrs more talented then UVA.

If history is any indication

Dec 10, 2019, 12:59 PM

That will not happen in the playoffs. Venebles has a knack for correcting issues. South Carolina passed for over 500 yards last season against Clemson and that didn't translate to the playoffs one bit.

Etienne + Dixon are better than

Dec 10, 2019, 12:56 PM

Dobbins + whoever is behind him. Its not close. Etienne is the best College RB this century.

#1 How do you give your OL the edge when they have

Dec 10, 2019, 1:00 PM

Given up 31 sacks to our 13? Is your QB less mobile than ours? Are your receivers that bad at getting open?

2) you allude to a key point in your secondary comment. It doesn’t really matter how our secondaries compare. The question is how will our receivers do against your secondary and vice-versa. I think we have the best passing attack you will see this year.

Should be a great game. Looking forward to it!

null

Re: #1 How do you give your OL the edge when they have

Dec 10, 2019, 1:17 PM

31 sacks! Sounds like a defensive feast in the desert! It's all about the match ups.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: #1 How do you give your OL the edge when they have

Dec 10, 2019, 1:17 PM [ in reply to #1 How do you give your OL the edge when they have ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/You-know-how-those-tight-games-keep-everyone-in-the-seats-26496475

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do we believe Clemson will destroy Ohio St?

Dec 10, 2019, 1:01 PM

Because we have a Brent Venables!

Oh and we have a TEAM! Not names at random positions like ol buckeye.

Hth.

How?

Dec 10, 2019, 1:12 PM

Dec 10, 2019, 1:23 PM

Fair assessment for sure. It will be a great game and hopefully the Tigers roll!

To address your statement concerning our fanbase, that's what we do, right? Your fanbase is no different.

Dec 10, 2019, 1:24 PM

This is about as fair an assessment as anyone could make. If it comes down to kicking field goals.... we could be in trouble.

Expect wild comments.... they’re actually pretty funny most of the time

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Dec 10, 2019, 1:28 PM

We do not all think it will be an easy win.

I expect Clemson to win, but Ohio State is an exceptional team, and it will not be easy.

Beating LSU will be no walk in the park, either.

I'm fine with that score...can we just move ahead to natty?***

Dec 10, 2019, 1:36 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Ohio State may not be the same

Dec 10, 2019, 1:43 PM

team we played in 2016, but Clemson is not the same team you played in 2016. We're much better. We have the best QB in the country, the best OL in the country, the best DBs in the country, the best WRs in the country and the best RB in the country.

By the way, since the nut necklace question has already been asked, I have another serious question...why do Ohio State fans all wear football jerseys? Do you not think it's creepy for grown men to wear a jersey of their favorite teenage/early 20's player?

Good luck, Clemson by a million.

Message was edited by: GWPTiger® due to an egregious oversight as pointed out by CT88

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

TD for ignoring our WRs!

Dec 10, 2019, 2:00 PM

WELL, I NEVER!

Yes, you are correct, I have edited the post and hereby

Dec 10, 2019, 2:21 PM

vow to never let that happen again.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Here's a first, someone from Ohio who knows more than we do.

Dec 10, 2019, 2:18 PM

:)

I wonder if she lives in Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach

Dec 10, 2019, 2:22 PM

or Charleston? It has to be one of those 3.

Not bad, but not entirely complete.

Dec 10, 2019, 2:53 PM

You have to do matchups, not who is better at positions.

Passing game - (QB/WR vs. back seven) - edge to solid Clemson. Our back seven will severely limit your passing game. You will have to hope to just slow our WRs down.

Running game - (RB/OL vs. DL/LB) - edge to Ohio St. ANd here is why... yall well get yardage in the middle of the field. Once in the redzone, you will start being stifled. Our Dline will give up yardage between the 30s.

Special teams - edge to solid OSU - I havent paid much attention to Ohio St special teams, but there is no way I would give the edge to Clemson on this unless you had middle schoolers punting and kicking field goals. You wont have but maybe one chance to return the football on KOs because they will be touchbacks, but that is about it that we have going for us on SP teams.

Final will be around 42 - 27 Clemson. They way Ohio St can win is by winning the turnover margin by +2 or more. Ohio St will get yardage, especially in the running game, and get into scoring position a good bit. Clemson will clamp down and it will get more difficult. Eventually, Ohio St will have to start taking more risks to keep up with Clemson scoring.

This will be similar to last years NCG with OSU being more capable of scoring in the redzone. End of the day, they will not be able to keep up though.

Dec 10, 2019, 3:10 PM

Not trying to break the bad news to you bunky10, but OSU is going to be boat-raced in this game. Fields is going to wish he had called in sick that day. Your D is going to be exposed. Young will NOT save OSU, and Dobbins will have his absolute worst day in his college career. Enjoy the tears in your beer as you watch the dismantling of your Buckeyes.

CLEMSON wins by 24+

Dec 10, 2019, 4:51 PM

Welcome to T-Town

Very fair analysis. They are, on paper, the two best teams in the country.

I trust that BV will find a way to limit your running game (Dobbins & Fields) and put the pressure on your young QB to win the game with his arm (and head).

It could easily come down to turnovers.

Dec 10, 2019, 5:08 PM

Good post for an opposing fan. Clemson has a huge advantage against OSU's in pass defense and should be able to match up 1 on 1. This means Dobbins will be minimized and Fields will get lots of pressure. I expect turnovers and limited success in the redzone. Unless OSU's defense finds away to stop Higgins, Ross, and ETN they will wear down and Clemson will pull away late.

null

In the interest of grammar, I believe you meant to say WHO

Dec 10, 2019, 5:11 PM

has the edge. Edit button can be your friend. Also, if you are a Huge Bucknut fan, Slimfast can be your friend as well. Carry on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All jokes aside, you seem to have done a very good, mostly

Dec 10, 2019, 5:33 PM

unbiased analysis of the two teams. It will be a very entertaining game, and I think both offenses will win the day vs both defenses when all is said and done. If that is the case, then I, as did you, give the final advantage to Clemson. Our QB has "been there, done that", and got the ring to show for it. Him completing NFL throws to our receivers will ultimately be the difference. It is amazing when you think about it that these two QBs were rated 1-2 coming out of high school, pick your order, and here they are competing for the biggest prize against each other two years later. Go, Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 8:59 AM

That score is what I predict as well. 35-31

I think these are the two best teams in the playoff.

Dec 11, 2019, 9:49 AM

I know Fields is not JT Barrett. He's too young to be doubting himself yet. Whereas JT was constantly second guessing himself which made for easy pickins. So they're going to score points and it'll come down to who turns it over. I do think the wildcard is Venables though. He's proved over and over how good he is at scheming opponents up and will have to against this offensive attack. You guys are solid on both sides of the ball. I think we're pretty even in that regard. Its just hard for me to bet against our guys in crunch time. We've been there for the last 4 years. All of our guys play as freshman so there are no newbies out there as far as playing in these playoff games which is good for us. Don't let Muse fool you. He's gonna give up plays but he'll make big plays too, just like Ben Boulware used to.

All in all its great competition this year in our first round. Any team can win it. I'm going 42-35 Clemson.

Why does everyone in your state

Dec 11, 2019, 10:29 AM

leave as soon as they can and then brag about how amazing it is?

Re: Who has the edge?

Dec 11, 2019, 10:40 AM

Nice break down. For the most part, I agree with you. However, I think your assessment only holds for the first 2.5 to 3 quarters. Playing a full 60 minute game - advantage Clemson.

Clemson 48
OSU 30

Dec 11, 2019, 11:15 AM

Who did you come to that opinion?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2019, 11:32 AM

My concern is how locked-in will Jeff Scott be in his homework for CFP (Scouting, Self-Scouting, etc). For obvious reasons, he will be distracted by his new job. We won't know though until we know...so there you go. :)

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic