Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
That's a shame... KJ got bad advice. It was no secret his
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

That's a shame... KJ got bad advice. It was no secret his

Jun 26, 2014, 11:07 PM

family was pushing him to come out.

It is a shame that someone as talented as he is didn't get the one more year he needed to be ready. He would have left a likely lottery pick with a college degree.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am a bitter and angry man.

Re: That's a shame... KJ got bad advice. It was no secret his

Jun 26, 2014, 11:11 PM

He knew he was predicted mid 1st-early 2nd. Its not terrible to be picked 2nd in the 2nd rd. I'm pretty sure he'll make the roster on the 76ers. Its a good fit for him. Yeah he could have used another year, just about every underclassmen could....its just the way the NBA is. Its the hardest college sport to get guys to come back.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2014, 11:13 PM

Yes its not terrible but I think this is right. First rounders don't have to make the Team were 2nd rounders do. Lots of pressure now

Re: He will make the team. Bet on it.***

Jun 26, 2014, 11:18 PM

Re: He will make the team. Bet on it.***

Jun 26, 2014, 11:34 PM

He will learn the pro game now. With his freakish athleticism and defensive mindset he will easily make the Sixers ...and might be coming off the bench for quality minutes as early as this winter.
Incredible things lay ahead for this guy...go get it KJ !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 27, 2014, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: That's a shame... KJ got bad advice. It was no secret his ]

There's a big difference between trying to make the roster in, say, Chicago or Boston, than in Philly. The 76ers started guys on 10 day contracts last season. These are the guys that are likely starters on their roster: MCW, Nerlens Noel, and Thad Young (who will probably be traded). Seriously, look at this roster:

http://www.nba.com/sixers/roster

Of the players they took in the draft last night, aside from various others taken later in the 2nd, KJ is the only one who will be available to play.

If anything it looks like KJ will be given some time to develop, and Brett Brown, the 76ers coach, a Popovich disciple, will give him that opportunity.

KJ was awesome for us, but late 1st, early 2nd is what most

Jun 26, 2014, 11:13 PM

expected. I'm not so sure that another season's worth of film would've changed much. Incredible athlete but has some holes in his games.

Also, he may actually get a chance to play for Philly.

Your wrong he would have

Jun 27, 2014, 12:38 AM

Never been a lottery pick. He's doing what he loves to do and getting paid very well to do it! Can you say the same?

KJ was never going to be a lottery pick.

Jun 27, 2014, 8:11 AM

Just doesn't have that kind of upside.

This is dumb

Jun 27, 2014, 10:04 AM

All he has is upside. That's the knock on him, great upside needs to develop skills, could be great if he developed his offensive game, great athlete, needs to become a more consistent shooter...etc.

He wasn't drafted on what he can do, but what he could do if he improves his skills.

spot on.***

Jun 27, 2014, 10:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I disagree.

Jun 27, 2014, 10:17 AM [ in reply to This is dumb ]

KJ doesn't have that kind of upside. He can be a consistent contributor to a good team. Not sure what he could possibly show next year that would elevate him to the top half of the first round.

I think he was definitely drafted on what he can do now. He can step right in and be an outstanding defensive player, and bring energy to a team. He will do very good things with Philly right away.

He is a shooting guard that doesn't shoot well

Jun 27, 2014, 10:20 AM

Maybe, and I know this is crazy, he could improve his shooting. His offensive game is raw and depends on being a better athlete than his opponent. Every draft write up on K.J. talks about him being a high upside player with raw offensive skills, but you know what, you're probably smarter than all of those guys.

Did you know that he is actually allowed to develop

Jun 27, 2014, 10:25 AM

his skills, while with the 76ers? Under pro coaches instead of college coaches? And get paid to do it!

Or he could continue to develop his skills in college

Jun 27, 2014, 10:27 AM

For 1 year, and then get paid significantly more on his first contract to do the same thing. Basically, he's accepting dimes for his work when he could have been getting dollars.

It's possible that could have happened.

Jun 27, 2014, 10:29 AM

If KJ thought it was probable that he would make significantly more next year, he probably would have stayed. I'll side with the guy who knows more than anyone: KJ.

Or...just maybe

Jun 27, 2014, 10:31 AM

He got some bad advice and thought that it was going to happen this year. KJ thought he was a lock to be a first round pick....so he might not have known as much as you give him credit for.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

In the end, I think he is in a terrific spot.

Jun 27, 2014, 3:08 PM

Can play right away, on a team with some good young players, a fanbase that will really love him. I'm not sure he could ask for a much better position.

A Senior is not going to be a lottery pick

Jun 27, 2014, 12:31 PM [ in reply to This is dumb ]

NBA teams will only pick Freshmen and foreigners with any pick <= 5. Even Juniors are viewed as old news. Just look at the last 4 or 5 drafts to see what I mean.

I seriously doubt that KJ would have improved his draft stock by coming back.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree***

Jun 27, 2014, 8:35 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2014, 9:23 AM

Yep...so what will he make $ as a second rounder? It's a shame, I really feel like another year would have boosted his stock!

A lot more money than he would make at Clemson.***

Jun 27, 2014, 9:27 AM

We get it prod, you see life through a coot lens

Jun 27, 2014, 10:05 AM

Any reason to get out of Columbia is good enough. If you've got a shot at the CFL or the Globe Trotters it's probably best to leave Columbia early. In normal places, sticking around so you end up with guaranteed money and a guaranteed contract is usually the better play.

I see my life through my lens, just like KJ

Jun 27, 2014, 10:09 AM

Sees his life through his lens, and not yours.

Exactly

Jun 27, 2014, 10:16 AM

K.J. saw his life through his parents telling him not to come back, even though, financially, it was in his best interest to come back. That's why he is considered a "steal" in the second round. He has first round talent, that just wasn't developed enough to justify a first round pick.

In Columbia, players leave early regardless if it makes sense. Most coaches tell players to stay if they won't be drafted in the first round. In Columbia, if you've got a shot at being a undrafted free agent it's time to pack up you bags.

K.J. was always going to be a second round pick this year, and now he is going to make significantly less money on his first contract, have a significantly smaller signing bonus, the team has very little invested in him, and he will probably bounce back and forth between the D-League and the NBA. Yea, solid decision on his part.

So, have you talked to KJ to determine

Jun 27, 2014, 10:18 AM

that the only reason he left was because his parents told him to?

Maybe he'd rather bound back and forth between the D-League and NBA than play at Clemson next year? That's surely possible. But I don't think that will happen.

That seems to be the consensus on K.J.

Jun 27, 2014, 10:23 AM

I know you think everyone should leave early if there is a chance for them to get drafted, and maybe in football that's true (except you know, if you don't get drafted at all like the two USC players this year), but in basketball, second round players are generally just bottom of the roster fodder.

Also, link to where anyone has guaranteed money

Jun 27, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to We get it prod, you see life through a coot lens ]

and a guaranteed contract next year? I've never heard of an NBA team doing that.

ok

Jun 27, 2014, 10:18 AM

One of the primary reasons why rookie hold-outs are essentially non-existent in the National Basketball Association is because all rookie salaries are predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), as negotiated between the league and players union. While rookie NBA players have some flexibility within their first contracts, they have next to no leverage and are limited to the allotted scale set by the CBA. All first-round rookie contracts are guaranteed for two seasons, with an additional team option in years three and fourth years of the deal. Rookies can sign for as little as 80% or as much as 120% of the scale amount within a year, although it is rare that they sign for significantly less than the full 120%. The scale amount is determined by draft position and is set for the first three years of the agreement, with the fourth year based on a percentage of the third year amount. It is also important to note that only 1st round picks are eligible for scale contracts and in the likely event a rookie signs the full 120% deal, any overage does not count against the teams salary cap status.

Re: Also, link to where anyone has guaranteed money

Jun 27, 2014, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Also, link to where anyone has guaranteed money ]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2014/06/27/2014-nba-draft-1st-round-rookie-salaries-projections/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

No, I mean link to where an NBA team has offered

Jun 27, 2014, 10:19 AM

guaranteed money and contract to a prospect for NEXT year, who is going back to school this coming year.

Point being: KJ is not guaranteed one red cent by coming back to Clemson.

He isn't guaranteed one red cent as a second round pick***

Jun 27, 2014, 10:21 AM

I never said he was. You are the one that said

Jun 27, 2014, 10:22 AM

he has guaranteed money and contract if he came back to Clemson.

He certainly had a better shot at it

Jun 27, 2014, 10:25 AM

Left early no guaranteed contract. Stay another year, good possibility of a guaranteed contract. I would say a chance at a guaranteed contract is better than no guaranteed contract.

some 2nd round picks do get partially guaranteed contracts

Jun 27, 2014, 10:41 AM [ in reply to He isn't guaranteed one red cent as a second round pick*** ]

being 2nd pick of 2nd round makes it very possible; regardless, he easily makes the roster... there are some experts that believe he will actually earn some starting time. Most of the Phillys draft picks won't be in uniform next year and the only other picks that will be are below him

people forget that the window to be a productive NBA player is very very limited-- there aren't many Duncans, Wades, Jordans, etc that play for 15 years. This is why so many 18/19 year olds get drafted-- McDaniels has a limited # of years he can make an NBA salary or even European. He's already borderline old man for the draft; it was absolutely 100% the right thing for him to come out. Heck, more guys should be coming out to make European $s as they will never get that chance again. He only has like 13 hours or something like that to finish his degree. The sooner you come out and make it , the sooner you get to your 2nd contract also.

obviously, an NBA team cannot do that, however, if KJ

Jun 27, 2014, 10:21 AM [ in reply to No, I mean link to where an NBA team has offered ]

had come back and replicated his success and developed a bit more(no injury of course)all of which are reasonable expectations. I would be willing to GUARANTEE he'd be a first round pick, and would therefore receive a Guranteed contract.

Don't try and use logic on him

Jun 27, 2014, 10:24 AM

It doesn't work. He thinks every player should leave early.

I certainly think that is possible.

Jun 27, 2014, 10:24 AM [ in reply to obviously, an NBA team cannot do that, however, if KJ ]

Shoot, I think if this year's draft was re-done, and a couple of slightly different dominoes fell, he could be picked in the first round.

KJ obviously thought it was best for him to go now. It really bothers me when anonymous internet people criticize these decisions, when 99.5% of them have never even met or talked to the guy.

If KJ had decided to stay, I'd say the same thing. It's his call.

I haven't criticized him in any way. I wish him the best and

Jun 27, 2014, 10:26 AM

hope he capitalizes on being a second round pick(he'll get to his 2nd contract faster).

However, I feel its a safe assumption that had he come back he'd have been a first rounder next year. Especially, when considering this was a pretty deep draft.

Message was edited by: Anonymous08®

Jun 27, 2014, 9:47 AM

Anybody who agrees with this has no idea what they are talking about.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic