Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Committee will set precedent tonight.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Committee will set precedent tonight.

Nov 15, 2016, 10:47 AM

They have never been in this situation before. Tonight we will officially find out what they value most. Resume or eye test?

Ohio St. lost to Penn St., Pitt beat Penn St., Pitt beat Clemson.

Clemson has a better strength of schedule and 4 better wins than any of the other teams with 1 loss.

What will be valued more....better wins or a better loss? Will they weight when the loss happened in the season?

Based on resume.....

Bama
Clemson
Ohio St.
Michigan
Louisville
Washington
Wisconsin

Based on the eye test.....

Bama
Louisville
Ohio St.
Clemson
Michigan
Wisconsin
Washington

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Committee will set precedent tonight.

Nov 15, 2016, 10:49 AM

I have a feeling that there is a 50/50 chance we will stay at #2 and OSU will be #3 just because we lost to a team that beat the team they lost to.

But I think we should drop to at least #3 or #4 so hopefully we win out convincingly and move back up to #2.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly, I expect #4 - at worst #5

Nov 15, 2016, 10:54 AM

Bama, OSU, Michigan, Clemson, Louisville

or

Bama, OSU, Louisville, Michigan, Clemson

(And only putting Mich ahead of us because their loss was on the road... PLUS the CFP has a 'built in' fall back in that OSU or Mich will lose again and drop behind us if we win out).

Scenario #2 fall back is we'll be a conf champ and 'jump' Louisville if we win out, but REALLY curious how they treat Louisville ('eye test') vs our head to head win.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Honestly, I expect #4 - at worst #5

Nov 15, 2016, 11:03 AM

I'd be surprised if Michigan was ahead of us. We both lost to a team with an identical record and there's no doubt Pitt is better than Iowa. They also lost their QB for the season. The only reason would be if they weigh in home vs away.

I'm not too worried because we have to win out regardless to get in. I just think teams that lost need to drop and Louisville fans will feel like they got the shaft if they end up at #5 again. We also can't drop below Louisville because of h2h.

Nov 15, 2016, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Committee will set precedent tonight. ]

What time tonight?

Nov 15, 2016, 10:50 AM

Yep! Yours truly will DEF be in front of the TV tonight at 7!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CFP show comes on at 9pm

Nov 15, 2016, 10:57 AM

but maybe you just want to watch other stuff for 2 hours beforehand.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2016, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Committee will set precedent tonight. ]

It comes on at 9:00 tonight.

Nov 15, 2016, 11:04 AM

I thought it was 6. Isn't bball on tonight?

GREAT!! First DST! Now THIS?!?!

Nov 15, 2016, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Committee will set precedent tonight. ]

I just can't keep up anymore....

Ohio State actually has a nice blend of resume and eye

Nov 15, 2016, 11:08 AM

test. They are going to get a lot of credit for winning road games at OU and Wisconsin, and they crushed Nebraska a couple weeks ago. The loss at Penn State isn't bad either. It was kind of fluky as they had control throughout most of the game and then lost due to a couple of blocked kicks.

I think we will stay ahead of Michigan because we were ahead of them last week and not a lot changed. I don't see how our loss was any worse than theirs. Iowa was a road game, but Pitt is a better team.

I think we stay ahead of Louisville too. They are 100% eye test, their resume sucks, and we beat them.

My guess:

1) Bama
2) OSU
3) Clemson
4) Michigan
5) Louisville
6) Wisconsin
7) Washington
8) Penn State
9) Oklahoma
10) Colorado

"Eye test" should have very little to do with it.

Nov 15, 2016, 11:24 AM

If that is not the case, then the whole reason for having the committee is obliterated.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If you don't use any form of "eye test" you may as

Nov 15, 2016, 11:34 AM

well just have computer models decide it.

Not true, and the reason "eye test" isn't a good parameter

Nov 15, 2016, 8:07 PM

is that it is so subjective. "Team A just looks more impressive than Team B", but until they actually play each other, we don't really know. Remember how OK was heavily favored against us last year, and we would have no chance against Bama? That was because of the so-called "eye test".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Eye test" should have very little to do with it.

Nov 15, 2016, 1:01 PM [ in reply to "Eye test" should have very little to do with it. ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1633792&tstart=0

This guy gets it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

if we are not #2, shall we start a riot?

Nov 15, 2016, 11:29 AM

Let's shout, "NOT OUR POLL! NOT OUR POLL!"

Where would be the best place to have a "Cry-In"? Perhaps Dabo can bring us pizza to assuage our feelings.

All this is in jest. I expect us to be #3 or #4.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Nov 15, 2016, 11:42 AM

Depends how you measure strength of schedule. Ohio State and Michigan have three quality wins, two in top10. We have four quality wins (if you include Troy), only one in top10.

I we are #4 this week

i predict #4 for TiGS...

Nov 15, 2016, 11:56 AM

& possibly #5 if the committee wants to tar & feather us..for awhile, till they see us win ACCCG.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As long as we are 4, 5 or 6 we are fine

Nov 15, 2016, 12:53 PM

By the end of the year
Michigan and Ohio State will play each other....one will fall below us

We will have resume, another win over a ranked team, a championship AND head to head over Louisville. If they are 4 and we are 5 going into the last week, we will jump them.

Below 6 and we gotta worry.

Nov 15, 2016, 1:12 PM

Does the eye test include being down to Wake in the 4th quarter?

Nov 15, 2016, 8:04 PM

Or a loss to Virginia except for a non TD catch being called a last-play game winning catch.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have stated SOS and Head-to-Head

Nov 15, 2016, 1:23 PM

If they stay true to that word then the transitive Pitt beat us and Penn State who beat OSU is meaningless and U of L putting up eye popping numbers against Sister Mary Dinkins Sunday School Clasee (thanks Prophet!) don't matter.

And it will look something like:

1) Alabama
2) Ohio State (because their 1 loss was better than ours)
3) Clemson or Michigan
4) Clemson or Michigan

5) Louisville
6) Washington

I don't think they will put Louisville again of us because we beat them head-to-head but would not be at all surprised for them to Louisville ahead of Washington because their loss is better than Washington's.

They might put Louisville in at 4 and Michigan at 5. They also might temporarily put us behind Louisville but that would change if we win out.

how can OSU's loss be better than ours?

Nov 15, 2016, 4:19 PM

it's pretty straight-forward from the OP:

OSU lost to Penn State who lost to Pitt.

Clemson lost to Pitt.

Why is Penn State "better" than Pitt?

Re: how can OSU's loss be better than ours?

Nov 15, 2016, 5:12 PM

The only way I see, in using that model of argument, is maybe they will weight the Clemson lost @ home while OSU lost away.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why is Louisville's loss to ua a "good loss", because they

Nov 15, 2016, 8:14 PM [ in reply to how can OSU's loss be better than ours? ]

played us close. ####, they are just one of five or six teams that played us close! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2016, 4:25 PM

All I know that if we win out and make the playoff, but they still put Louisville.......complete garbage. Would start a slippery slope to put a team in that didn't even play for a conference title. We shall see.

That's a fair shake imo +1***

Nov 15, 2016, 6:08 PM

Nov 15, 2016, 7:55 PM

You can bet on one thing. They absolutely LOVE the Big 10 for some Fckn reason. For that, they will go with:

Bama
OSU
Louisville
Michigan (for some d@mn reason).

Don't think for a second that they aren't tasked with creating controversy and excitement. They will give their 3rd nut to create a top 4 matchup with the Big 10.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

i think the Louisville eye test

Nov 15, 2016, 8:24 PM

That everyone refers is based on the fact that Jackson is a freak and statwhore and that Petrino runs the score up.

They hammered FSU on the big stage and no one expected that at all...it elevated them to the 'new girl in school crush' status. Then by losing like they did it was pretty much perceived as a win, despite us playing poorly at times.

It's like people completely ignore the Duke, UVA and Wake games....which is no surprise bc Duke was a Friday night, UVA was a nooner and Wake was on Saturday night during two major primetime games. They avoided the scrutiny of the common fan and sports journalist.

Cards are very good but a little overhype's IMO

good analysis

Nov 15, 2016, 8:25 PM

nm

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic