Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
20 years ago last night...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,206

20 years ago last night...

Nov 19, 2019, 9:05 AM

20 years ago last night was one of the most significant tragedies in college football. 12 Fighting Texas Aggies lost their lives in the bonfire accident. I was at Clemson at the time and had a sister and several friends at A&M. I was one of the lucky ones as nobody I knew directly lost their lives. However, a friend of a friend lost their leg. My friend also had to be the one to tell one of his classmates that the classmate's best friend was confirmed dead. The Texas Aggie Spirit has had a lasting impact of that night, but their Spirit and traditions live on. A&M is the only school whose traditions I respect as much as I do Clemson's.

My friend's friend, John Comstock, has developed a documentary about that day. You can watch the trailer of "The 13th Man" here : The 13th Man Trailer

Go Tigers and 'Gig Em.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 20 years ago last night...

Nov 19, 2019, 9:11 AM

a very sad night indeed. :(

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to pile on, but this week also marked the 49th

Nov 19, 2019, 9:20 AM

anniversary of the plane crash that killed 75 people, including 37 players on the Marshall football team. I am a little too young to remember that event, but I clearly remember the bonfire. Hard to believe it has been 20 years!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was the main other event I thought of when...

Nov 19, 2019, 9:40 AM

I said "one of" the worst tragedies in college football. The Marshall Plane crash might be the worst.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Both were horrible and I remember each event

Nov 19, 2019, 10:00 AM

Frank Loria of VT, a favorite player of mine as a kid, died in the Marshall crash. He was a multi year all american safety and return man in the 60's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember well news of the Marshall tragedy

Nov 19, 2019, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Not to pile on, but this week also marked the 49th ]

and just couldn't imagine how that devastated so many people, including Marshall's program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely devastating

Nov 19, 2019, 3:26 PM

However - impressive how a community can come together like Marshall did and like A&M did.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,206
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic