Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Terrence Olgesby For Offense Coordinator ! (Basketball)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Terrence Olgesby For Offense Coordinator ! (Basketball)

Feb 24, 2019, 3:33 PM

Like someone else said, Clemson Basketball always does better when expectations are low ...

Now, we got some really good Freshman coming in, and the key is NOT to regress them with a Midwest Rec League style of play.

IF Coach B adopts a more aggressive style of play for the "O", this will unleash the full potential of these guys. If we continue with the highly choreographed, predictable style of play, it will be flat at at best.

Really, all they have to do is designate an Offense Coordinator. Offense is NOT Coach B's strength. He should just accept the fact that he is the general manager of the team, runs the "D". Let someone else Coach the putting the ball in the Basket, ie Terrence Olgesby.

No need to fire anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Basketball isn't like football, O & D are too intertwined

Feb 24, 2019, 3:41 PM

for that to work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell that to Leonard Hamilton

Feb 24, 2019, 6:55 PM

Believe his is .... I forgot his name CJ or CY ... Young ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Terrence Olgesby For Offense Coordinator ! (Basketball)

Feb 24, 2019, 3:44 PM

"Really good freshmen coming in?" I've read that we don't have squat coming in. "Just wait until next season!" Uh-huh! Our legacy of mediocrity and humiliation in BB will continue unabated. Prior to our games, we should run a "Three Stooges" movie just to set the tone. Glad I'm not a BB fan.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Classic

Feb 24, 2019, 4:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=oOBF5oGZz4E

Brings back fond memories. TO was my favorite player when he was playing. There was never a shot he wouldn't take.

I think the idea has merit. The personnel on the court would dictate offensive options, but there are most certainly offensive plays that could be designed and called by someone other than the head coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 5:04 PM

Curious as to your "really good guys" coming in...If the list I found is correct, we have three, all guards, all shorter than 6'3", none ranked in the top 100...also going to have to replace Shelton, Quise, Eli, Skara, and White...seems like a lot of height we need to find something to replace as well between the last three. Unless we are looking at running a 3-4 guard system with Jemison in the middle next year. Hoping these guys are good...but not sure who is left to get. Christian Brown, a 6'6" SF, looks like the only warm prospect we have left barring some transfers. Just my thoughts...feel free to correct me.

Feb 24, 2019, 7:30 PM

1. Javan White has another year of eligibility. Should also get Malik William back after his redshirt year so we have more than just Jemison as big bodies.

2. We ran a 3 guard lineup last year and had the most successful season in the last 20 years of Clemson basketball and one of the 3 or 4 best ever. We also return Simms, Tyson and Baehre in the “Stretch 4” spot. We could use a couple of those guys on the floor at the same time depending on the situation.

3. Hunter is a 4 Star Top 100 player that we beat Virginia for. Dawes is an NYC area PG that is a Top 150 player. Several Northeast schools including UConn offered him. Hemenway is a pure shooter the caliber we haven’t had in a while. I see nothing wrong with those 3 players. This is the best class of high school guards we’ve signed in quite a while.

Feb 24, 2019, 8:39 PM

Most recruiting services consider Dawes top 100 plus his stock has been rising.

Feb 25, 2019, 7:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Terrence Olgesby For Offense Coordinator ! (Basketball) ]

I didn't realize White had one more year. Tha is for pointing that out.

That sounds like a horrible idea.

Feb 24, 2019, 9:10 PM

Oglesby played for Purnell, who is arguably the worst offensive basketball coach we've ever had. We literally had no offensive identity under him, especially when we were in half court sets. Way, way worse than at any point under Brownell.

And Oglesby, as great of a shooter as he was, took some horrible ill-advised shots. What on earth makes him the voice of reason when it comes to running an offense?

Just LOL, all the way around!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: That sounds like a horrible idea.

Feb 24, 2019, 9:14 PM

True.

'That sounds like a horrible idea.' Everybody said the same

Feb 24, 2019, 9:34 PM

Thing in 2008 about our choice for football head coach. Let's be BOLD and give TO a chance. Did Terence graduate?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hear ! Hear !

Feb 24, 2019, 10:17 PM

Jolly Good !

Nein ! My Fellow TigerNet ! Journalist !

Feb 24, 2019, 10:23 PM [ in reply to That sounds like a horrible idea. ]

We have now have had a decade of our current style of play and I think most will agree the results have been less then optimal. It it time to venture forth and try an ALT approach. It is almost like we are on a big gub'ment project and a "process" was decided upon and during this process we discovered the product to be produced is not being produced, but yet we continue with the process because, it is THE process. Let more visionary approaches be unleased, for really, we don't have anything to lose. Can you guess I work on many a big gub'ment project and this is why most fail ?

Examples of insanity

Feb 24, 2019, 10:33 PM

Clemson men's basketball and gamecock football each with short respite. Sorry guys just how I see it.

We are not having a couple "off" years ... how about an

Feb 24, 2019, 10:50 PM

"off" decade ! The Future Is Now.

Judge K and all

Feb 25, 2019, 2:43 PM [ in reply to That sounds like a horrible idea. ]

Do not know your feeling on TO, but I loved to watch him play - he was brash, immature, and inconsistent but also as clutch, fearless and talented as any long distance shooter Clemson has ever had, with more range.

OP and team never seemed to set a screen for TO or protected TO. IMHO we had a shooting asset like a poor man’s JJ Reddick, and OP had no clue how to use him. That said, I enjoyed the did enjoy the overused press Defense and run and gun of OP more than current play style, but understood it took as much out of Tigers as opponents and tanked post season success. A real dichotomy guess you could say ... what are your thoughts?

I enjoyed watching Olgesby play as well.

Feb 25, 2019, 5:16 PM

Outstanding shooter who never met a shot he didn’t like. He was the kind of player who could win games for you, and also lose games for you. I wished that he could’ve been corralled a little bit more, because his temper got the best of him a few times.

We could certainly use his shooting skills on our team. I’m hopeful that Alex Hemenway can be that guy. He’s a 2019 signee from Indiana who has flown under the radar a bit but can shoot lights out. He has had a lot of 30+ ppg games this year.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I enjoyed watching Olgesby play as well.

Feb 25, 2019, 5:22 PM

Hemenway and Chase Hunter have nice shots.

Why T.O.? Why not TMac?

Feb 24, 2019, 11:20 PM

By far, like light years, the better offensive player. Played PG and understands all aspects of running an offense. Not just chucking 25 footers with no conscience.

Terrell McIntyre is a Clemson Hall of Famer. T.O. slugged a guy in the NCAA's. T. O. is quite good as the color guy on radio when Bourret is absent. And I'm glad he's matured as a person. But if we're going outside the box, you're choosing the wrong guy

Re: Why T.O.? Why not TMac?

Feb 25, 2019, 12:45 AM

And he's already on the staff .

TMac Boogie was special

Feb 25, 2019, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Why T.O.? Why not TMac? ]

One of my all time favorites with a complete game ... my starter at PG for all-time Clemson team (less one and done Skip)

Feb 25, 2019, 7:52 AM

What would make Terrance Olgesby a good coordinator? He's never been a coach as far as I know. Over the years he's moved around various European basketball leagues, it's not like he was a star player. He was OK while at Clemson, but certainly wasn't great. If my memory serves he made a lot of poor decisions in games as a player, he would take some really dumb shots and some happened to go in.

If there was a player from that era that would probably make a good coach some day I would think it would be Cliff Hammonds.

Feb 25, 2019, 7:55 AM

JUST WHAT DO YOU THINK HIS JOB IS ON OUR STAFF.

User Logo
OhWiseOne®
CU Guru [1776]
TigerPulse: 76%
Terre­nce Olgesby For Offense Coordinator ! (Basketball) [1]
Posted: Feb 24, 2019 3:33 PM

Like someone else said, Clemson Basketball always does better when expectations are low ...

Now, we got some really good Freshman coming in, and the key is NOT to regress them with a Midwest Rec League style of play.

IF Coach B adopts a more aggressive style of play for the "O", this will unleash the full potential of these guys. If we continue with the highly choreographed, predictable style of play, it will be flat at at best.

Really, all they have to do is designate an Offense Coordinator. Offense is NOT Coach B's strength. He should just accept the fact that he is the general manager of the team, runs the "D". Let someone else Coach the putting the ball in the Basket, ie Terrence Olgesby.

No need to fire anyone.

far as I can tell, he stands around and holds the clipboard

Feb 25, 2019, 9:27 AM

No coaching experience ? He knows offense and is aggressive. Last thing we need is a “process person”. Let Coach B handle the Grand Strategery.

Message was edited by: OhWiseOne®

far as I can tell, he stands around and holds the clipboard

Feb 25, 2019, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Terrence Olgesby For Offense Coordinator ! (Basketball) ]

No coaching experience ? He knows offense and is aggressive. Last thing we need is a “process person”. Let Coach B handle the Grand Strategery.

Message was edited by: OhWiseOne®

WHAT "really good freshmen coming in?"

Feb 25, 2019, 5:00 PM

It appears to me we need to get another grad. transfer or two? Esp. at guard. Is that 6 9 player from Asheville UNC sitting out this year to be egible next year. I have not heard anything about him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, he has to sit a year

Feb 25, 2019, 9:56 PM

Article below. Also, he's 6-10. Looks like a good one ! Actually, I think we are in pretty good shape for next year (on paper). The wildcard, again, is not our players, its HOW we play. This East-West hot potato thing around the key has got to stop. We need to ... TAKE IT TO THE HOOP !

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23443832/unc-asheville-transfer-jonathan-baehre-transferring-clemson

fred

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic