Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Ball St. vs Clemson Prediction
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 3,185

Front Page Story: Ball St. vs Clemson Prediction

Sep 7, 2012, 11:10 AM

Ball St. vs Clemson Prediction

After five consecutive games away from the friendly confines of Death Valley the Tigers are ready for a little home cooking. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Ball St. vs Clemson Prediction***

Sep 7, 2012, 11:18 AM

See the Auburn Predictions at the Bottom, How did Dan Scott

Sep 7, 2012, 11:19 AM

not win? He was closer by a point? O well.

Re: See the Auburn Predictions at the Bottom, How did Dan Scott

Sep 7, 2012, 11:50 AM

Looks like the winner is determined closest to the margin of victory.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: See the Auburn Predictions at the Bottom, How did Dan Scott

Sep 7, 2012, 1:33 PM [ in reply to See the Auburn Predictions at the Bottom, How did Dan Scott ]

It's his article and he'll win if he wants to :)

That score sounds about right, BUT, if our defense doesn't

Sep 7, 2012, 11:44 AM

get some things corrected, I could see Ball St. busting some big plays and racking up some yardage. I think we will score enough to be okay either way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

My prediction: Tailgaiting fun. But why not redshirt Pinion?***

Sep 7, 2012, 2:08 PM

Re: My prediction: Tailgaiting fun. But why not redshirt Pinion?***

Sep 7, 2012, 2:37 PM

If we're not going to redshirt Stewart, who only played a few special teams plays and is playing behind two seniors, why would we redshirt Pinion? We seem to love to play freshman a few meaningless plays and negate the redshirt option.

Also, given we played in a dome with no wind, sun, wet balls and our Punter was half as good as Auburn's, there may be some justification to seeing if Pinion can reverse the field. I think Dabo is concerned, rightfully so, that our defense needs some help to make teams work a little harder to get into the redzone.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come to think of it, it might have more to do with Lakip.***

Sep 7, 2012, 3:21 PM

Re: My prediction: Tailgaiting fun. But why not redshirt Pinion?***

Sep 7, 2012, 5:42 PM [ in reply to Re: My prediction: Tailgaiting fun. But why not redshirt Pinion?*** ]

You folks can't be serious! The Tigers will blow this team out of the stadium. I will be dumbfounded if the score is not 63-7 in favor of the Tigers. Dabo may control this by playing everyone,but he can make it whatever he wants it to be. Starters on both sides of the ball will play less that 30 minutes. Take it to the bank!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Ball St. vs Clemson Prediction

Sep 7, 2012, 2:17 PM

Be careful. Potential trap game.

34-17 we win..

Sep 7, 2012, 2:24 PM

their no huddle spread keeps them in the game.and gives our already questionable secondary a work out. late in the game for a couple of scores.

Curious about the prediction tracker...

Sep 7, 2012, 2:49 PM

What sort of algorithm/math was used to determine that David Hood's prediction was better than the others?

He was 4 over on CU's points, and 4 over on AU's points: off by 8.
Mickey was 5 over on CU's points, and 2 under on AU's points: off by 7.
Dan was 4 over on CU's points, and 2 over on AU's points: off by 6. (By any metric, this has to beat Hood's, right?)
El Swann was 1 over on CU's points, and 5 under on AU's points: off by 6.
Pigskin was 1 over on CU's points, and 7 under on AU's points: off by 8.

Seems like Hood's guess was actually tied for last unless I'm missing something.

(Slow day I guess...nothing else to complain about...just curious.)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just saw cusquid's post on margin of victory. Makes sense..***

Sep 7, 2012, 2:54 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Margin of victory is a silly metric here

Sep 7, 2012, 4:20 PM

It is subsumed in "closeness" of each team score. If someone had said the game would be Clemson 27-21 (margin of victory 6)and someone else had said Clemson 7-0 (margin of victory 7), which prediction is closer to the actual 26-19 score?

A better metric is to treat the scores as Cartesians and use a distance formula (sqrt of sum-of-squares). This corresponds to "close" as I consider it.

But hey, it's his contest...

P.S. I had the same results as jp_tiger.

Message was edited by: mpercy®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Using Cartesian distance

Sep 7, 2012, 4:24 PM [ in reply to Curious about the prediction tracker... ]

Dan wins with a distance of 4.47.

Hood distance = 5.56
Mickey = 5.38
Dan = 4.47
El Swann = 5.09
Pigskin = 7.07

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's games against teams like this that always worry me the

Sep 8, 2012, 8:09 AM

most for some reason, and that might sound crazy to most of y'all, haha. I'm not at all saying I think we'll lose. Heck, assuming we don't come out flat for the entire game and just stick to playing Clemson Football then I think we'll blow them out.

A pesky team like Ball State though who has a few playmakers on offense with a coach who likes to take shots has to worry you just a little (it does me at least). I do like the way our D is progressing, and even without Sammy our offense is still way more talented than theirs. It's just something about teams like this that make my stomach churn just a little bit. Simply because it's Ball State and this is their Super Bowl. It's their chance to shine on a big stage, and to their credit they're better than a number of teams out there (they're also not great either obviously).

At least when we're about to go up against an Auburn, FSU, VT, etc. you're already prepared mentally for a game that could just be a flat out dogfight for 4 quarters because both teams are really good. Sometimes in games against teams like a Ball State, fans will assume it'll be over by halftime, and the next thing you know it's tied up in the 3rd.

Whew, but with all that said I still think Clemson takes it by at least 3 TDs. Go Tigers!!

Replies: 16
| visibility 3,185
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic