Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
$EC Bowl Matchups vs ACC bowl matchups (Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

$EC Bowl Matchups vs ACC bowl matchups (Long)

Jan 5, 2014, 9:42 AM

Tis the season for all the E$PN talking heads and $EC homers to be crowing about the $EC's far superior record in bowl games than any other conference. But let's take a closer look at the matchups....

In every single bowl game featuring an SEC team, the said SEC school has been the better team on paper. Not once has an SEC team had to play a team that was ranked higher (With the exception of Auburn-FSU)

For example...

#21 Texas A&M vs #24 Duke

Okay, so 3 spots in the BCS isn't much of a difference. But come on, its Duke. Even if they were pretty good this season and took this game to the wire, I doubt many people, including Duke fans, expected the Blue Devils to put up much of a fight. Advantage A&M.

#16 LSU vs Unranked Iowa

While Iowa wasn't terrible, they were never really on anybody's radar this season. They basically beat who they were supposed to beat, and lost to every ranked team they played. LSU is still LSU.

#9 S Carolina vs. #19 Wisconsin

I'll say that this one was actually a pretty good pairing on paper. Nonetheless, SC was clearly the better team, and it showed

#8 Mizzou vs #13 OK St

Another good matchup...just adding to my point about the SEC teams playing lower ranked opponents

#22 UGA vs Unranked Nebraska

Again, this was a fair matchup between two decent traditional powers. Only difference is, UGA was a title contender pre-season, while nobody really expected a top 10 season out of Nebraska. Also, all 4 of the Huskers losses were by double-digits, including bad losses at home to UCLA and Iowa. Glad to see them win this one

#3 Alabama vs #11 Oklahoma

Ah, my favorite one....the "can't-do-wrong, superpower, beatable-only-by-another-SEC-heavyweight, almighty Alabama Crimson tide against a team that "got lucky" and "backed into a BCS bowl." Well how do you like that? Bama comes in a big favorite and gets stomped. "But...but...but....Alabama wasn't motivated! They are used to playing for titles, so this measly little Sugar Bowl didn't matter to them! Yeah, that's it!"

Throw in a cupcake game (MSU vs Rice) and another fairly even game that nobody cares about (Ole Miss vs GT) and the SEC is bound to come up with a winning bowl record....NONE OF THEIR MATCHUPS WERE AGAINST A HIGHER RANKED TEAM!

So let's compare this with a couple ACC matchups....first one that comes to mind....

#18 Louisville vs Unranked Miami

Okay, I have said all season that Louisville is over-rated. But guess who was even more over-rated this year? Miami. While Miami still sounds like a power, the truth is, they're not. Louisville lost 1 game all season to a UCF team that scored 52 points in a BCS game. Although they were victim of a weak schedule, they still have one of the best (if not the best) QB in college football. I dunno about you, but if I had 1 loss to a BCS winner and was still only ranked 18, I'd be pretty dern upset. This one was a clear mismatch

#17 UCLA vs Unranked Va Tech

UCLA was a team that spent some time hovering around the top 10 this season, while VT and their too-tall QB continued their inconsistent ways of late. Although VT won 8 games, I don't think many people even believe they were that good, and their only "good" win came against an equally over-rated Miami team. This one was, again, a mismatch

#7 Ohio St vs #12 Clemson

While anybody with half a brain would have picked Clemson, this one, at least on paper, seemed to favor the Buckeyes. The "greatest coach on Earth" Urban Meyer took his 1-loss-in-2-years, should-have-been-playing-for-a-national-title squad up against yet another inferior team that "backed into a BCS game" Well how do you like them apples, er, oranges?

So anybody else see a trend here? I understand that the bowl games have conference tie-ins and can only take specific teams from specific conferences. I also know that the ACC was way down this year in terms of legitimate teams that were top-25 worthy (Outside of CU and FSU). But still, it's hard to ignore the glaring fact that pretty much every SEC team got a favorable match-up while the better ACC teams got paired with a team that was superior (At least on paper)

To h3ll with this system, and to h3ll with E$PN and their $EC agenda! From this year out, I fear we will have a playoff system that features 2 SEC teams every year!

Lets hope not....Go Tigers! Orange Bowl Champs!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: $EC Bowl Matchups vs ACC bowl matchups (Long)

Jan 5, 2014, 9:49 AM

^^^^^^^this guy gets it^^^^^^^^

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 5, 2014, 10:03 AM

Yep he does, but I think we all get it. They will do any and everything they can to set the sec up to be the for ever best. ESECPN in the best recruiter the sec has ever had. There is no wonder for me why Saban turned down TONS of cash and stayed at Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Playing devil's advocate. Who should those SEC schools

Jan 5, 2014, 10:00 AM

have played? Also as much as I hate to even suggest this perhaps this means those high rankings for so many SEC schools were in fact justified. After all had they been ranked lower like many of us claimed those matchups on paper say GT/Ole Miss would have been comparable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And here lies the problem

Jan 5, 2014, 11:06 AM

It's all because of the bowl tie-ins to specific conferences. Why not Louisville against A&M? Or UCLA against LSU?

All I hear all year long is that the SEC has too many highly

Jan 5, 2014, 10:11 AM

ranked teams. Now we are saying that they played easy bowls because they were ranked higher?

Just beat them and beat them every chance we get is the only way to get the SEC bias out of the media and the rankings.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All I hear all year long is that the SEC has too many highly

Jan 5, 2014, 10:27 AM

it is called MAKING EXCUSES! do you propose the sec teams playing each other in bowl games so half will have losing records? same as for the acc so they will at least WIN half? how have you proved the sec is over rated, and what did espn do to help this theory? bowl games CHOOSE who play in games not espn! by the way they select by record and finish record in the polls. that is why we got to the orange bowl instead of duke.

That sounds good but it won't work.

Jan 5, 2014, 10:40 AM [ in reply to All I hear all year long is that the SEC has too many highly ]

Clemson and FSU winning what we may be able to win this year will do nothing to change the bias. Even if FSU wins the coming game and they and Clemson go five years beating every SEC team we face nothing will change. That's addressing this issue as if I were an ACC fan, which I am not!

I've almost quit caring about ESPiN's love affair with the SEC. Although, I'm reserving the right to enjoy watching the SEC get embarrassed on ESPiN's national spotlight by anybody.

I'm apologize for being slightly contentious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All I hear all year long is that the SEC has too many highly

Jan 5, 2014, 1:16 PM [ in reply to All I hear all year long is that the SEC has too many highly ]

They are lower in the SEC pecking order which is what the bowls pull from and it just PROVES what you are trying to dismiss. The SEC team wins with higher ranked teams because that is whats available in the pecking order. The No. 2 in the ACC is ranked below 4 SEC teams. It is what it is and so the lower pecking order teams are ranked higher in the polls than teams they are playing although they rank lower in the pecking order compared to the other conferences. That makes the argument that the SEC is stronger out of your mouth.

The OP needs to get a clue.

Jan 5, 2014, 10:37 AM

To anyone with a brain you are making the argument FOR the SEC. If you had an argument, and you don't, you would compare relative finish in the conference. That's how you would compare the conferences.

Say what?

Jan 5, 2014, 11:05 AM

My argument is that SEC teams get matched up against teams that they SHOULD beat. Not necessarily making an argument for or against them, just stating the obvious

Jan 5, 2014, 11:37 AM

You just made a great argument for a Scar vs Missouri rematch in orange and Clemson vs A@M in peach! This is the reason the BCS means nothing besides the championship game. It's the reason it's going away and the top teams will be matched up.

Now think for a second... WHY has the SEC been favored

Jan 5, 2014, 11:55 AM

in every matchup? Is it maybe because the teams are just better?

First let's roughly rank the SEC teams in bowls..

1 - Auburn
2 - Bama
T3 - Mizzou
T3 - SC
5 - LSU
6 - A&M
7 - UGA (maybe lower without Murray?)
8 - Ole Miss
9 - Vandy

Now let's look at the match-ups ignoring Auburn vs FSU.

Sugar Bowl - Bama vs Oklahoma - #2 SEC team vs #2 Big XII team - even

Cotton Bowl - Mizzou vs OK ST - #3/4 SEC team vs #3 Big XII team - even

Capitol One Bowl - SC vs Wisconsin - #3/4 SEC team vs #3 Big Ten team - even

Outback Bowl - LSU vs Iowa - #5 SEC team vs #4 Big Ten team - advantage Big Ten

Chic-fil-a Bowl - A&M vs Duke - #6 SEC team vs #3 ACC team - advantage ACC

Gator Bowl - UGA vs Nebraska - #7 SEC team vs #5 Big Ten team - advantage Big Ten

Music City Bowl - Ole Miss vs GT - #8 SEC team vs #6 ACC team - advantage ACC

BBVA Compass Bowl - Vandy vs Houston - #9 SEC team vs #4 AAC team - advantage SEC

After looking at the match-ups in terms of position within conferences, the only one where the SEC should have any real advantage is the BBVA Compass bowl where they play a small school.

So why is it that the SEC teams are actually favored in almost all of these games? It's because their #2 team is better than the #2 team in all other conferences, and their #3 team is better than all other #3 teams and so on.

^^^^^^^^^DING DING DING

Jan 5, 2014, 12:02 PM

This guy gets it! This is true!

Re: ^^^^^^^^^DING DING DING

Jan 6, 2014, 12:16 AM

2013 - I like your posts and you have been cool to me, but I don't think you get the point he is making.
He is saying the opposite of what you are saying, I'm pretty sure.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

This is why having conference tie-ins to bowls doesn't work***

Jan 5, 2014, 12:03 PM [ in reply to Now think for a second... WHY has the SEC been favored ]

"Their #2 team is better than the #2 team in all other

Jan 5, 2014, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Now think for a second... WHY has the SEC been favored ]

conferences."

Boomer Sooner, #######.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nobody said they were going to win every game. Even

Jan 5, 2014, 12:35 PM

with being favorites in almost every game that's statistically improbable.

What is their record going into the BCS title game? 6-2?

Re: Nobody said they were going to win every game. Even

Jan 6, 2014, 12:13 AM

7-2 actually. MIss St. won, as well as games listed above by some excellent poster who broke them all down. Nice work by them.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

BEWM !!!

Jan 5, 2014, 12:44 PM [ in reply to "Their #2 team is better than the #2 team in all other ]

"Boomer Sooner, ####### !!!"

well said.

Can't have in both ways

Jan 5, 2014, 12:31 PM

It's hard to argue that the SEC doesn't have some mid tier teams that are better than the mid level teams from other conferences. Ole Miss vs GA Tech was a good example of this. They are gaining this advantage from the ESecPN media bias which allows for teams like Ole Miss to retain a lot of their in state talent that used to go elsewhere. But ESecPN will try an lead you to believe that their top 3 teams are head and shoulders above any other conference which is not true. Only Bama has been that dominant and this year they got beat by OK. We beat LSU last year who was supposed to be a top tier team. I don't have a problem w ranking some of their mid level teams in the top 25 but if you look at how the top 10 will shape out they will have 4 teams in the top 7. Did Bama look like a top 5 team against OK? No... But they will probably finish around 5 bc they are Bama.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent...was thinking the same thing.

Jan 5, 2014, 12:38 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't deny the truth!***

Jan 5, 2014, 11:44 PM

Re: Can't deny the truth!***

Jan 5, 2014, 11:52 PM

Around here you can!

That said...

Jan 5, 2014, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Excellent...was thinking the same thing. ]

...Has the SEC *ever* gone 0-2 in BCS bowls?

Assuming FSU takes care of business, the ACC could wind up 2-0 in BCS bowls (for obviously the ONLY time ever, considering the conference's BCS record before Friday was 3-13) with the SEC 0-2 in theirs. That MIGHT ease some of the sting of our conference going below .500 in bowl season (again), and it's bound to throw a wet blanket on the SEC's otherwise stellar bowling.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic