Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler: The next step
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Sep 30, 2010, 12:37 PM

ACC titles, double-digit win seasons and BCS appearances are the ultimate goals, and these are obtainable but there is another step in the process that has to come first. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler: The next step

Sep 30, 2010, 1:03 PM

Very good post,Mickey. I was there for the early 80's home games and the valley did rock back in those days. I have been to only 1 game since, Wake in 2000. I will be back at the Maryland game this year for one reason only, to see Clemson win a game that for numerous
reasons they have lost in the last few years! The Miami and UNC will be meaningless if they cannot beat Maryland. See you at Chic-fil-a in Clemson on my birthday 10/15.

YES...Restore the ROAR in Death Valley...***

Sep 30, 2010, 2:17 PM

Sep 30, 2010, 3:05 PM

When did the WHEWHOOOO start? I blame it on that.

Home field advantage ain't what it used to

Sep 30, 2010, 3:19 PM

Interesting. I'd guess that most of the teams mentioned in the blog have pretty stellar away records also. For example Chris Peterson is 27-0 at home but 24-1 away. Statistically not much difference.

If you don't cherry pick the data from part of the year and you look at Clemson's full seasons from 1988-1992, Clemson was 25-4-1 home, and 13-9 away. But if you throw out the 10 non-con home cupcakes during that period, Clemson was 15-4-1 home vs 13-9 away. Statistically, that seems like the kind of home-field advantage that I'd expect from a place like Death Valley.

By comparison, during the last 4 full Bowden years (1994-1997) Clemson was 19-7 at home. But if you throw out the 8 non-con home cupcakes, Clemson was 11-7 at home and 10-9 away. Statistically not much home field advantage during that period.

That last set of stats is largely why TB is no longer...***

Sep 30, 2010, 3:30 PM

Re: Home field advantage ain't what it used to

Sep 30, 2010, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Home field advantage ain't what it used to ]

Silly blog. Good records are a reflection of good teams. Poor records are of a poor team.

Re: Home field advantage ain't what it used to (NOT SO)

Sep 30, 2010, 10:57 PM

As the figures showed in Pyler's article, the better teams across the nation hold a strong winning percentage edge at home.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as I hate to say it

Sep 30, 2010, 11:38 PM

Death Valley was known as one of the toughest places to play in the country in the 80s. But the truth is, we played a lot of creampuffs except for Georgia. There were no VT teams in their prime yet, FSU, or Miami in the ACC in the 80s.

From 1980-1989, Clemson had ten losses and three ties at home.

The losses:
1980: Lost to Duke 2-9, and UNC 11-1. Did our football team trade uniforms with the basketball team that year? Ironically, that is the year our basketball team made its only elite eight appearance, LOL.

1981: 0

1982: Tied Boston College, 8-3-1

1983: Tied UGA, 10-1-1

1984: Lost to SCAR, 10-2

1985: Lost to UGA, 7-3-2, GT, 9-2-1, and Maryland, 9-3

1986: Lost to VT, 10-1-1, and tied SCAR, 3-6-2.

1987: Lost to NC State, 4-7

1988: Lost to FSU, 11-1

1989: Lost to GT, 7-4

Our best decade ever had ten losses and two ties at home. Nine of the ten losses were to teams with seven wins or more, which is about like 8 wins today. Seven were to teams with nine wins or more, which is about like double digit win teams today.

Home field advantage does mean something, I am not saying it means nothing, but a team with some serious swagger goes in and plays lights out, regardless of where they are playing.

You guys would argue with anything....

Oct 1, 2010, 12:09 AM

can you not get the POINT of the blog? Look around the country. Great teams win at home against other great teams. Had he written this prior to NT/PC I'd understand some of the comments. He's writing prior to one of the biggest home games of the year...if not the biggest. There will be several, and therefore, he's starting with the first. Start here...keep it up. Quit quacking like a bunch of ducks and understand what the man is saying! (ok...just had to after a few of those comments)

:)

I understand what he's saying

Oct 1, 2010, 8:53 AM

And I can't wait to do some quacking tomorrow, LOL.

Personally, I think Death Valley will be rocking tomorrow, and if we lose, hopefully it will be because we just lost to the better team, and will not beat ourselves with crazy mistakes. If that's the case, we will have done our part, and just lost to the better team.

So Razz...

Oct 1, 2010, 12:04 AM [ in reply to Home field advantage ain't what it used to ]

you're basically agreeing with Mickey. Yes, we own those "cupcakes" at Death Valley. Yes, there have been some decent season records at home. Yes, it takes winning on the road to become a champion. BUT, it takes beating teams like top 20 Miami AT HOME to gain respect. To move up in rankings. To have a great season. It helps to "hold serve" and grab a few road games. That my friend defines a champion....so thanks for proving Mickey's point.

Mickey made several points but yeah... Make DV tough again!

Oct 1, 2010, 2:20 AM

I certainly agree with Mickey that Death Valley should be an intimidating place to play and Clemson should never lose at home!!! (Not like that's a new thought.)

Mickey didn't mention stats for the latter Bowden years like I did, but I think the data/analysis that I presented supports Mickey's view (if I understood him correctly) that in the glory years, Death Valley used to provide a greater home field advantage (i.e. higher winning percantage home than away).

I'd certainly like to see us get back to having a significant home field advantage.

good luck

Oct 1, 2010, 5:28 AM

making Death Valley "tough" when pres Barker is continuously cracking down on alcohol on campus and within greek life. i'm not saying everyone needs to be drunk on game day for it to be loud, but let's be honest...

do we want to be a top 20 public university or top 20 in the football/basketball polls??

i know which i'd prefer
hold my beer, "GO TIGERS"

Oct 1, 2010, 6:30 AM

Watching Morning Joe this morning ...

They were discussing tough places to play football as related to noise ... The first stadium mentioned was Death Valley and the Clemson Tigers ...

GOOOOOTIGERS! LET'S GET THE ROAR BACK INTO DEATH VALLEY ...

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic