Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NBA - disgusting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 3,441

NBA - disgusting

Apr 22, 2012, 9:36 PM

I know, I know, don't say it: "you should have already figured it out. Why are you even watching it?"

I only watched the final portion of the LA/Thunder game, thinking I would see some great basketball. What I got was the Thunder blowing a 15 point lead in the final minutes on selfish, individual play. Then, with score tied and 20 seconds remaining, we have Kevin Durant playing one on one with four teammates standing in the corner watching. Not even a high screen or anything. LA about as bad with Kobe's individualistic game. At least they were setting a screen now and then.

You can disagree all you want, but the college game at the level of March Madness is a much superior brand of basketball than the NBA.

Let me say it again, and this is for Stern, NBA fans who worship "stars", and everyone else: college basketball at the level of March Madness is the highest level of basketball play in the land.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That isn't representative of the entire NBA.

Apr 22, 2012, 9:59 PM

You're referring to a game between teams of arguably the two best scorers in the NBA (Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant). Those teams are designed to allow those guys to go one-on-one a lot, especially in the closing minutes of the game when baskets are crucial. I don't blame them.

Other teams, like San Antonio for example, are built around tough defense and teamwork on offense. When they click, it's a beautiful thing. Nothing in the college game can compare to that.

To characterize the NBA as nothing but one-on-one play is ridiculous. And for the record, I love both the college and pro game. They certainly have their differences, however.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I thought for sure the "disgusting" part was referring to

Apr 22, 2012, 10:06 PM

Artest's attempt to remove Harden's head from his body, but yeah, it can get pretty one on one in the NBA nowadays...clear out/isolate...dribble drive...complain the foul wasn't called if its a miss....posture and talk junk if its a make, and still complain to the ref.....but I will be glued to the TV for the playoffs, no doubt.

Yeah and then Artest tries to act like it was an accident***

Apr 22, 2012, 10:09 PM

Re: Yeah and then Artest - now called "Word Peace"

Apr 22, 2012, 10:51 PM

Fits right??

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, that is what I thought the "disgusting" meant too.

Apr 22, 2012, 10:28 PM [ in reply to I thought for sure the "disgusting" part was referring to ]

And Artest wearing the BS "World Peace" on his back needs to end, he is the last person that needs to promote himself as a spokesman for world peace. He has had serious anger management issues in the past and today he proved that he still does (and complete lack of self awareness or acknowledgement that he did something wrong).

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Actually Ron Artest has been pretty open about his issues...

Apr 22, 2012, 10:58 PM

he suffers from bi polar depression and has been very open about it for like the past 7 years.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Admitting you have a problem is half the battle ...

Apr 23, 2012, 1:00 AM

... but today he showed that he is still losing the other half of the battle.

Really

Apr 23, 2012, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Agreed, that is what I thought the "disgusting" meant too. ]

what a joke

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the isolation play days are from the early 2000's, keep up..

Apr 22, 2012, 10:57 PM [ in reply to I thought for sure the "disgusting" part was referring to ]

with the times.

Re: I thought for sure the "disgusting" part was referring to

Apr 24, 2012, 12:16 AM [ in reply to I thought for sure the "disgusting" part was referring to ]

NBA is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

Hey JK...

Apr 23, 2012, 10:31 AM [ in reply to That isn't representative of the entire NBA. ]

Better that you stick with your strong point, Clemson clothing and ambience. Love your store, and will be in
this fall. It sitll has that oily Clemson college smell and creaky wood floor when your dad ruled. I need a really extra large basic T-shirt and yur the man!

Re: NBA - disgusting

Apr 22, 2012, 10:10 PM

This is ridiculous. The NBA, after some really bad years, has been terrific the past few years. The Lakers-Thunder game was a great basketball game.
And to say college basketball is superior is a joke. College basketball right now is the worst it has been in my 40 years on this planet.

Apr 22, 2012, 10:28 PM

This is one reason I've always been a Suns fan, Nash is one of the most unselfish fans out there and the team is fairly balanced. It's a shame Nash might leave next season.

Suns have had a good run with guys like that.....wasn't a

Apr 22, 2012, 10:34 PM

Suns fan, persay, but Kevin Johnson was always fun to watch way back when.

There isn't a team at any level that wouldn't try and get

Apr 22, 2012, 10:35 PM

an isolation with its best offensive player for the last shot when you are tied on the road...The rest of your observation about the overall quality of play and comparison in play between the NBA and College is utterly asinine...The Quality of play in the NBA is going up and in college it is going down for the same reason...The best players are in the NBA...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mabye it had something to do with the Tigers not being in it

Apr 22, 2012, 10:40 PM

after a good run of Tourney appearances, but it seemed like a very underwhelming tourney this year.

it's been underwhelming for like 10 years now***

Apr 22, 2012, 11:00 PM

100% correct***

Apr 22, 2012, 11:00 PM [ in reply to There isn't a team at any level that wouldn't try and get ]

If you don't like the NBA then you don't like basketball...

Apr 22, 2012, 10:56 PM

The Lakers vs Thunder game was a great game to watch. There was no selfish play. If you actually kept up with the NBA, you would know that the Thunder play very good team basketball. Take a look at the team with the best record in the NBA the Bulls, DRose has missed a bunch of games and they have played great team ball to maintain the best record. Same thing with the Boston Celtics they turned their season around with great team basketball.

The only thing that was exciting about March Madness was UK and their players that will be playing in the NBA next season, other than that March Madness was a snooze fest. With players leaving earlier the college game has dramatically fallen off as far as quality of basketball. Even when College Basketball was good, the NBA was always better to watch because it played a faster more exciting tempo due to the rule differences between the NBA and college, and they have all the best players in the world in one league of 32 teams not spread out over 300 college teams.

Let me say it again, and this is for college fans who don't like pro sports, the NBA always has been and always will be the highest level of basketball play in the land.

Re: If you don't like the NBA then you don't like basketball...

Apr 23, 2012, 5:25 AM

if the nba would follow the rule book, the game would be much better. no more 4,5,6 steps,carrying the ball,continuation for a call 3 seconds before a shot,etc. the game is a mere shell of it's former self.

Re: If you don't like the NBA then you don't like basketball...

Apr 23, 2012, 7:26 PM

who ever td'd this post either 1. just don't like bball, or 2. doesn't like to abide by the rules of the game. todays nba game is a 1 on 1 game, with fouls called against someone defending star players, even if the defender was the one making the good play. it is a great game, just respect the rules,as they are written. or, just change the rules, and the name of the game.

Apr 22, 2012, 11:00 PM

I couldn't disagree more. The college game is god awful as compared to just 15 or 20 years ago. Just name another sport that is actually getting worse with time?

There are plenty of NBA teams that play great team basketball and share the ball but what fool would spread the ball around at the end of the game and get ridiculed for letting Westbrook take the last shot if he missed? Lebron gets killed for passing at the end of the game so these players are in a no win situation, if they pass it around, they aren't clutch and if they shoot it at the end of the game they are selfish. What is a player to do?

I was utterly disappointed with March Madness this year as well. Only two teams I was impressed with were Ohio State with Craft playing great defense on the outside and Kentucky with their overall unselfish play. Where is the greatness in that? I really didn't even think anyone besides unibrow would even be close to an elite player in the NBA so I just don't see the greatness that is supposed to be March Madness.

Apr 23, 2012, 6:32 AM

GREAT points all around.
The college game is probably as bad right now as it has ever been. Teams can't score 50 points in 40 minutes? Really?

I disagree as well

Apr 22, 2012, 11:11 PM

I love all levels of basketball. In the NBA if you don't play a fundamental, team concept you have no shot at winning a title. The teams that start to get too individual and sloppy fail every time come playoffs. That's not changing anytime soon.

Best part about the NBA...At the end of a 7 game series,

Apr 22, 2012, 11:51 PM

there is no doubt who the better team is...There is no place for Cinderella in the Association..

NCAA is getting to be just as bad....

Apr 23, 2012, 8:22 AM

I'm starting to question whether or not a lot of coaching or skill is even needed. Every time I watched Kentucky play and most of the MAJOR programs, the game was nothing more than a NBA game.....no regard for coaching, defense or ball skills.

Now the post is funny.

Apr 23, 2012, 8:44 AM

Clearly you did not watch any Kentucky games. You shouldn't even respond honestly. The ONLY reason UK was any good was because, with all their talent, they were 100 percent committed to defense and one another. They were unselfish almost to a fault and they seemed to do exactly what they were told. UK was actually the poster child for what is good about college basketball. Calipari did an amazing job to get that type of work ethic from a bunch of individually great college players. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 23, 2012, 10:44 AM

Then you have a guy named "Worldpeace" throwing bows.

null

Re: Metta World Peace - Disgusting

Apr 23, 2012, 1:09 PM

When your main playmaker off the bench, arguably the glue that makes Oklahoma City stick, in James Harden is knocked out of the game in the first half with a vicious elbow to the temple, they're going to have some rhythm problems in end-game situations

I've watched 20-25 Thunder games this season, and he's the guy that breaks down a defense, gets open shots for Durant, and creates space for Westbrook to work in the lane at the end of games. He's almost impossible to stop when you're worried about Durant and Westbrook beating you.

What was really disgusting that night? Metta World Peace's elbow.

While I don't think James deserved that bo, I also don't

Apr 23, 2012, 11:41 PM

think he had any business anywhere near Ron...The Thunder were on offense and James should have turned to head up court instead of flashing to the post to try and body up Ron mid-celebration. That is no excuse for cold cocking him...but as the saying goes, don't start no ess, won't be no ess...Don't step to a gorilla and he won't knock your a$$ out...Sounds simple to me...Can you not deserve it and get what you had coming at the same time?

Apr 23, 2012, 9:07 PM

Give me NBA every day of the week. It's better than college in every sense of the game.

Unfortunately, outside of the Tourney, college hoops is unwatchable.

Watch the playoffs,. The D and passing abilities alone

Apr 23, 2012, 9:45 PM

are far superior to the NCAA.

I like the NCAA better, but the talent and skill level don't compare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you watch the Butler v. UConn final last year?

Apr 24, 2012, 12:19 AM

That was disgusting.

Replies: 33
| visibility 3,441
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic