Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What do you experts think about this grill/smoker as well?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 324

What do you experts think about this grill/smoker as well?

Nov 29, 2020, 11:09 AM

I have a way to get a discount, so don't worry about price? I just want opinion of it as far as whether it is good. It's for my Mom.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/8536674?store=16140&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkbeMyZCo7QIVFbbICh1TxQDMEAQYASABEgKTmfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve heard good things

Nov 29, 2020, 11:16 AM

A lot of folks like those better than the eggs. They innovate more and don’t stick so much to convention.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’ve heard good things

Nov 29, 2020, 11:51 AM

I looked hard at KJ and BGE and went with the KJ for the extras and the customer service.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back when I was looking and tried the BGE, I thought the

Nov 29, 2020, 8:08 PM

Primo looked good - is it still around? I lived the oval shape for more cooking area.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Green Egg and their copies are good smokers

Nov 29, 2020, 11:33 AM

I had the Green Egg and it did some of the best food I have done, but it is not something you just turn on and use - I love my pellet grill for that - no fuss and super easy and still great food.

Sold the Green Egg and never regretted it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Green Egg and their copies are good smokers

Nov 29, 2020, 11:48 AM

A Traeger is better than a Green Egg?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me

Nov 29, 2020, 12:24 PM

it much more suits what I want to do and how I want to do it.

I had a Traeger for over 10 years and it was a workhorse. I have since given it away (still going strong btw) and have a Mak 2 Star - which I would not recommend to anyone who has yet to try a pellet grill as it is assepensive.

Pellet grills cannot be easier to use and turn out great food. You can use it as a smoker or as a grill (the newer models has open burner options where you can put a char on food like a burger if you want.). I can smoke at cold smoke levels all the way to over 500 degrees to cook.

Just getting the charcoal lit and going is too much of a PIA for this old dude.

Going back over yesterday's posts I see some grill questions

Nov 29, 2020, 12:27 PM

NoIntroduction® just in case you wanted to get another opinion.

Mine is above.

:)

Re: What do you experts think about this grill/smoker as well?

Nov 29, 2020, 11:50 AM

Get it. I cook everything on my KJ classic. I smoke ribs and butts at 225 and never have to reload charcoal over a 12+ hour cook, cook pizzas in it at 500, sear steaks at 750, and everything in between. It is the single most versatile grill money can buy. The learning curve is pretty short.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I wanted a new charcoal grill/smoker it’s what I’d get

Nov 29, 2020, 12:30 PM

My homemade uds gets me by the few times I feel the need to use something other than the pellet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

That is what my Pit Barrel Cooker is for

Nov 29, 2020, 12:31 PM

and do love ribs done in it.

Get it

Nov 29, 2020, 1:57 PM

Best seals of any ceramic when I was researching a year ago. Good stuff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What do you experts think about this grill/smoker as well?

Nov 29, 2020, 3:41 PM

People love them, I just can't get past not being able to cook that much at once. Same concern that I have with a pit barrell.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pit Barrel can cook 8 racks of ribs at a time

Nov 29, 2020, 5:19 PM

I have done that once.

If you are trying to do more than 2 Boston Butts you will have an issue.

Was that by hanging them?***

Nov 29, 2020, 6:44 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes. The best way to cook in the PBC is hanging stuff

Nov 29, 2020, 6:48 PM

they even make a turkey hanger.

You can hang a butt, but not to 200 degrees internal temp.

Example

Nov 29, 2020, 6:53 PM

Oh yeah, that will get the job done.

Nov 29, 2020, 7:01 PM

I am not sure how may racks of ribs I can do in my smoker, but I could probably do 12 butts. I just like to cook several different things the same day, not sure I could pull that off with the pit barrel.

Yea, no way you can do that many butts***

Nov 29, 2020, 7:09 PM

My BIL has one of these

Nov 30, 2020, 8:29 AM

And we never let him live down the fact he bought a fake Green Egg

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Replies: 19
| visibility 324
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic