Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame Should Never Be Anywhere Near Playoffs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Notre Dame Should Never Be Anywhere Near Playoffs

Oct 14, 2018, 11:50 AM

Notre Dame FB program is waaaaay over rated, and always has been. That said, with the new CFB playoff system for the natty title, ONLY those teams who belong to and play in a FB conference should be eligible to compete for the natty CFB Playoffs.

ND is a selfish, greedy program that does not want to share it's largesse w/any one, but yet wants to enjoy the fruits of FB conferences by participating in the playoffs. Teams that play in a conference are what make college FB what it is. The teams in a conference play each other, play an extra game for the conference championship and thus expose themselves to a loss that ND does not have to be exposed to. The teams share revenue from TV and from the conference playoffs and the Natty playoffs w/other conference teams. ND gets to keep all of their share. Selfish. Greedy, while the team they play, has to split its share among conference.

If ND wants to be a greedy, selfish program, let them do it w/o stealing from conference teams. ND has contributed nothing to football. Screw them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame Should Never Be Anywhere Near Playoffs

Oct 14, 2018, 12:23 PM

Thank you! Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about, and to put it into words.
I have been trying to put it into those exact words myself.
Notre Dame needs to be in a conference, but I know of no way, or no how the Pundits who are the powerhouses of college football can force them into a conference.
Oh, and when did the new system come into play? Was it this year, and did I somehow miss it?
Also, do you know if the CFP Committee has the power to make Notre Dame join a conference, or
does the NCAA likewise have that decision making capability?
I could care less about Notre Dame's TV contract, or whether they share revenue or not. That IMO is a "moot " point when it comes to having an even playing field for the CFP's.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2018, 1:00 PM

"New" system as opposed to when the natty was determined by polls only.

I think the CFPO committee could change the rules to limit the current 4 playoff spots to conference teams. That would force ND to join a conference. No coach would ever take the ND job knowing they could never win a national title. If the committee does not want to force ND to join a conference, they should just ignore any non conference team for the playoffs. They could do that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you down with a team like UCF from AAC getting in

Oct 14, 2018, 1:04 PM

since they are in a conference, or are you limiting to just Power 5 leagues? Just curious.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Are you down with a team like UCF from AAC getting in

Oct 14, 2018, 1:30 PM

Strength of schedule would leave out UCF IMO. It would be hard to NOT consider SOS. And if SOS is good, then Conference Champion should be a strong factor, IMO.

Disagree. ND has great tradition and inspires

Oct 14, 2018, 1:12 PM

a lot of hate against them. They are great for college football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That great tradition falls on deaf ears for fans

Oct 14, 2018, 2:50 PM

younger than 40 years of age. Their last national title was in 1988. Since 1993, they have only won 10 games or more 4 times. They have had 4 losing seasons over the same period. They only won 9 games four times over the same 35 year period. Lots of 6,7 and 8 game winning seasons. Very mediocre.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2018, 1:18 PM

Best 4 teams. If ND goes undefeated, they will have earned it and deserve it.

But, with one loss they’re probably out because they will not be a conference champ.

Oct 14, 2018, 1:32 PM

Brian Kelly is the perfect, arrogant representation of Pedophile U.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you are saying he should be the HC at Penn State?***

Oct 14, 2018, 1:35 PM

Re: So you are saying he should be the HC at Penn State?***

Oct 14, 2018, 1:49 PM

Or Bishop of the Archdiocese of Boston.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't understand this line of thinking

Oct 14, 2018, 1:35 PM

ND typically plays a very good schedule. There are years like this where it's not as strong, but the same can obviously be said about Clemson's schedule this year.

Typically the only difference between a 12 game ND schedule a 13 game P5 champion's schedule is 1 game against an FCS team. Is playing 12 games + Furman really that much different than playing 12 games? I'll answer that myself. No, it's not.

Re: I just don't understand this line of thinking

Oct 14, 2018, 1:43 PM

I enjoy pulling against ND because they were a historical power. Always fun to see the big guy fall. And they benefited from very friendly voters back when championships were decided that way.

Sadly, seems like some anti-Catholic bias drives some of the other hate for them.

My grip. No conference Champ game. Don’t like when teams

Oct 14, 2018, 3:07 PM [ in reply to I just don't understand this line of thinking ]

don’t have that last pressure game and make it to playoff. But Bama did same thing last year.

Ultimately, I think it has hurt ND not playing in a conference, Not everyone can win a National Championship, but even Wake Forest and Maryland can win a conference title. I think that matters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2018, 1:37 PM

How exactly does not being in a conference determine that you can’t be one of the top 4 teams? They’re still playing a schedule filled with teams from P5 conferences, and heck, they only play 3 fewer ACC games than we do.

Oct 14, 2018, 1:38 PM

If the requirement was to be a conference champion, then I woukd agree.

But it is not a requirement, and they belong in the playoff discussion at this time according to the current criteria which does not mandate a conference championship.

They had a challenge with Pitt at home like we did against Syracuse. Almost a carbon copy of our game against SU. Play down to competition and then put it together when a score is a must have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2018, 2:03 PM

One small difference worth mentioning was that we had to play from midway through the second quarter with our 3rd team quarterback. And we had very little time to get him ready because of the unforseen incidents that happened that week. But we still won. Notre Dame faced no such adversity.

Oct 14, 2018, 2:21 PM

We we're flat with TL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are not trying to claim we were better off with CB

Oct 14, 2018, 3:02 PM

are you? While CB did a great job not making many mistakes and taking us down for the winning drive, but no way were we better off without TL.

Notre Dame's defense is awful. They gave up 400 yards or more of offense to Wake, Vandy, and Va Tech.

I don't like ND but to say they have no

Oct 14, 2018, 3:17 PM

Contributions to football is ignorant

Oct 14, 2018, 3:22 PM

So because they don’t want to share their money with financial weaklings, means they don’t deserve to compete for a trophy? PleSe elaborate. We’re nit talking about BYU here, it’s ND. They make millions upon millions on their brand. Why automatically share that just because some outside fans think they should? If ND goes undefeated, they’re getting in that playoff. Regardless of your opinion.

FWIW, if you were a ND fan or alumnus, I assure you, you’d be siding with them.

Oct 15, 2018, 4:12 PM

So your saying if you can get the money you are absolved of having to play an extra game at the end of the season against a highly ranked opponent that may knock you out of contention for the CFP.
This opens the door for Alabama in football and even Clemson to explore trying to create our own TV contract or network to shop to bigger networks for the money ratings and distinct advantage of not have to risk injury, a loss and have extra rest going into the CFP.
On top of that why stop at football. Duke, NC, Michigan State, Uconn, Louisville, Kentucky, Virginia should all negotiate individual contracts in individual sports (Basketball) but still try to remain in their respective conferences for the other benefits they garner.
Some teams have been accused of intentionally tanking their conference tournaments because they are locks in the Tourney.
Anywhere a distinct advantage is identified, others will soon exploit it until it changes.

The best solution I see is 4 major conferences each with 20 teams and two divisions. Incorporate some of the non p5 teams that are up and coming and try to make it geographically feasible. The 4 fits nicely into the formats of all the big money making tournaments in the NCAA.

Oct 15, 2018, 4:14 PM

Notre Dame will have to earn their spot in the CFP like everyone else. If they go 12-0, they deserve to be in. Don't see how you can argue otherwise.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once they opened the door for Bama the conf champs

Oct 15, 2018, 4:22 PM

"rule" went by the wayside - esp if the team has a decent record. I would love to see ND lose 1 game and be at #5 looking in while the talking heads talk about how they would get a spot if they played a championship game. When that happens (may have to happen more than once) they'll be begging to join the ACC in football.

Oct 15, 2018, 4:37 PM

Also, as Dabo has said many times there is no need to expand the playoff because the Conference championships are like the play in games. The only teams that do not parti i pate are the independents. Our independent is in a conference but with and exception. They are the only ones with the exception. It will be interesting to see how other teams try to negotiate within their respective conferences because if you know the Network business if the money is right they will pay the penalties break contracts even right after they are written. The SEC may think they have Bama locked or B1G has OSU but if ABC or CBS wants to compete on the college football front they will get them out of those contracts and then where will the CFP be?

Oct 15, 2018, 5:12 PM

Sorry 5 other schools are independent in football and members of respective conferences. Army, BYU, UMass, Liberty, and NMSU. Who knows that number may be growing?

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic