Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson/ACC academic minimums for HS football recruits?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Clemson/ACC academic minimums for HS football recruits?

Sep 9, 2018, 7:01 PM

Does anyone know how we compare to the SEC now? We used to have higher academic entry requirements, both the ACC and Clemson. Is that still the case? GPA and SAT/ACT minimums? Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson/ACC academic minimums for HS football recruits?

Sep 9, 2018, 8:22 PM

http://theacc.com/news/2017/9/19/ACC_Best_Colleges.aspx

Re: Clemson/ACC academic minimums for HS football recruits?

Sep 9, 2018, 8:23 PM

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/2018-us-news-academic-rankings-are-out/72116505/

That ended in the early 70s after a lawsuit

Sep 9, 2018, 8:44 PM

SEC and ACC use the same sliding GPA/SAT scale that the NCAA uses; individual schools may require a higher standards, but it has to be done fairly. For example, in the 60s, SCAR was one of the first schools to require a minimum SAT score (as an attempt to slow down integration, by the way). They got in trouble with the ACC because they had football players with lower than the ACC minimum, but higher than the NCAA minimum. The NCAA put them on probation because they had admitted those players that did not meet the school's minimum for other students.

There have been differences in how they handle non- or partial qualifiers (or whatever the term for partial qualifier is now). The ACC allowed some PQs in the 80s, they had to redshirt and also had one year cut from the 5 total; so 4 years to play 3. They could earn that fourth year back by academic progress. At some point, the ACC stopped allowing any PQs until FSU joined, with part of the deal being they would allow 2 (I think) per year.

By NCAA rules, an NQ could/can enroll at a college and prove himself by making a minimum GPA and earn eligibility. The ACC doesn't allow it, going to the crazy point of saying that if a NQ enrolls at an ACC school, he can never play at any of the ACC schools; then his only path is JUCO. The SEC did allow two NQs per year across all sports the last I checked. A lot of stuff changed a few years ago, so this might be wrong. For example, you can't completely replace bad grades by retaking classes a la Clowney. You can retake a class once and average the two grades. That's part of why you see fewer players going to prep school now.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic