Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Buyout terms of Swinney's new contract
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,848

FB Update: Buyout terms of Swinney's new contract

Apr 12, 2016, 10:19 AM

Buyout terms of Swinney's new contract

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have never understood why buyout terms are so lopsided.

Apr 12, 2016, 10:24 AM

For a $30m deal to get out for $6m in day one vs the other side paying $20m to get out day 1 is ridiculous. $6m is a pittance to big programs to pay to buy out a deal of a prospective coach. I don't care what the rest of the market does on this, I'd demand some closer equality.

Re: I have never understood why buyout terms are so lopsided.

Apr 12, 2016, 10:29 AM

Pretty basic, he holds all the cards

Re: I have never understood why buyout terms are so lopsided.

Apr 12, 2016, 10:38 AM [ in reply to I have never understood why buyout terms are so lopsided. ]

Dabo's is still higher than most in the top 5. Sabah has no buyout if he decides to leave. Meyer and Harbaugh around 1-2 million. Seems like we have a pretty strong structure there compared to the market. I agree with you though, seems like their buyouts to the university should be more in concert with the universities towards them.

That buyout would be a huge barrier to another school

Apr 12, 2016, 10:41 AM [ in reply to I have never understood why buyout terms are so lopsided. ]

especially one that just fired a coach. They would have to pay the buyout of the coach they just terminated, the buyout of the coach they just hired and the salary of the coach they just hired.
Ex. If TAMU fires Sumlin after this year and went after Dabo, they would have to pay about 30 million in 1 year to get him. 15 million to sumlin, 6 million to Clemson, and probably around 6 or 7 in salary. Very few schools have that kind of money.

I'm sure that their are some labor attorneys on the board that could discuss laws around holding people accountable for buyouts and non-competes. They can't be overly burdensome.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,848
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic