Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN has lost their mind
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

ESPN has lost their mind

Apr 3, 2019, 7:27 PM

Fire all that talent and...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/report-stephen-a-smith-in-line-to-become-richest-on-air-personality-in-espn-history/ar-BBVArw2?li=BBnb7Kz

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That Guy is Flat Out A Loudmouth Racist POS

Apr 3, 2019, 8:00 PM

Who knows nothing of sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That Guy is Flat Out A Loudmouth Racist POS

Apr 4, 2019, 5:25 AM

What did he do that was racist? I used to watch him daily for years and never saw a racist side. He is too loud though. I now watch Skip and Shannon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. He’s a loudmouth but not racist.

Apr 4, 2019, 9:04 AM

If anything he takes abuse from the African-American community for calling out hypocrisy. He’s openly talked about how *some* black athletes want a free pass from black journalists, and how he’s never going to do that.

I’d love to see evidence of his racism if it exists. My real problem with the man is how ESPN wants him to comment on every sport. He clearly doesn’t know football very well especially college football. I blame ESPN for that.

What I can’t fault is a guy take all the money he can as long as he can.

Lulz***

Apr 4, 2019, 7:35 AM [ in reply to That Guy is Flat Out A Loudmouth Racist POS ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2019, 1:22 PM [ in reply to That Guy is Flat Out A Loudmouth Racist POS ]

Exactly......and they are wondering why they are losing millions of dollars each year.....get rid of there best sportscasters so they can give their worse sportscasters bigger contracts.....what a bunch of morons they have for management over there....... Go Tigers!!!!!!

Apr 4, 2019, 3:18 PM

They aren’t “losing millions of dollars each year.” They consistently turn a profit for their Disney overlords.

Now, have massive changes in how TV is delivered to our homes giving us more choice hurt their profit? Yes. But they are not losing money as you put it.

Will be interesting to see if their ESPN+ offering can help them make up the gap in revenue.

Apr 4, 2019, 3:31 PM

Ok......guess that is why ESPN sent all those former employees to the unemployment line over the past few years.......and it had nothing to do with all those millions disappearing from their bottom line.....Go Tigers!!!!!

Apr 4, 2019, 7:45 PM

Profitable companies lay off employees all the time, to protect and enhance their profits.

Does not mean they were “losing money.”

Loudmouth yes...

Apr 4, 2019, 9:56 PM [ in reply to That Guy is Flat Out A Loudmouth Racist POS ]

Racist.... Show me proof...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have to have something before you lose it.***

Apr 3, 2019, 9:24 PM

Stirring up controversy has become the norm--not surprised***

Apr 4, 2019, 12:15 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Just read the headline but yeah, that’s hard to imagine.

Apr 4, 2019, 12:31 AM

We see time and time again that shock, outrage and in-your-face stuff seems to sell. Who knows why. I’ve listened to Smith very little, but what I have seen is that he sees most things in racial terms and his default disposition is “yelling”. Neither characteristic appeals to me in the least. But obviously others must like it.

null

Re: ESPN has lost their mind

Apr 4, 2019, 2:07 AM

Not a fan at all. His yelling, faux outrage gets old quickly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2019, 5:37 AM

It's their money, and they're free to waste it as they see fit.

I find the American talking sport shows rather annoying. There's too much shouting, and fake rage. The arguments are too simplistic, and often just repeat old ground, with hosts taking opposing views (which they can't possibly believe) to encourage the audience to listen/phone in/react emotionally.

I would welcome a more nuanced, intelligent debate on sporting matters, but I'm not going to hold my breath. And before anyone suggests I'm being anti-American, I admit that many of the sports shows here in the UK are going down the same path, some, such as Talk Sport Radio could arguably be said to be worse than anything ESPN have to offer.

Apr 4, 2019, 6:30 AM

No, ESPN hasn't lost their mind. Their smart enough not to follow the opinion of the vocal minority who tend to skew strongly conservative. They understand that Stephen A Smith is a ratings monster compared to all of their other talent (along with Dan Lebatard) , and he fantastic at television and radio. He is so good at it, you all watch him regardless of all the insults you throw his way such as calling him loud, obnoxious, racist, etc. Oh you say you don't watch him? That would make your opinion uninformed and maybe you don't like him for other reasons.

Apr 4, 2019, 7:58 AM

Agreed

This guy gets it***

Apr 4, 2019, 8:13 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN has lost their mind ]

Re: This guy gets it***

Apr 4, 2019, 1:26 PM

This guy does not have a clue.....Go Tigers!!!!

Ratings aren't really that hard to understand

Apr 5, 2019, 9:21 AM

He brings in the most advertising dollars. It's simple math.

LOL. I agree with the first part of your post...

Apr 4, 2019, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN has lost their mind ]

He has to be getting ratings...ALL ESPN cares about are eye balls...on the screen...right now.

Now, whether that is myopic is another question. I tend to think it is. Maybe not specifically with Smith, but with the way games are scheduled, over hyped, off-field things are introduced, etc. I think they run the risk of killing the Goose that laid the Golden Egg. But we shall see.

The second half of your post is pure message board “I want to win an argument” garbage. “Either you watch him, proving they’re right to pay him money, or you don’t watch him, and your opinion is invalid.” Give me a break. A lot of us will give someone a shot and once we know what they are about, we’ll move on. That’s what I did with Smith. It’s possible that I only watched the worst of him or he’s changed, and by all means, let us know. But no one has said that yet...there’s no “oh, he doesn’t really frame everything in racial terms” or “he doesn’t yell all the time”. So I’m pretty confident in my assessment. If ESPN opened the wallet because I gave Smith a few shows to form an opinion, then they really are morons.

null

Re: LOL. I agree with the first part of your post...

Apr 4, 2019, 12:45 PM

To be fair, those who are saying he frames things in racial terms haven't really given examples of him doing so either.

So, I haven’t reviewed all responses and don’t care to.

Apr 4, 2019, 1:40 PM

I read this one and responded to this argument presented. To argue that we either must watch Smith every time he is on to have a valid opinion on his style, but if we do then we validate ESPN’s decision, is simply silly.

null

Apr 4, 2019, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN has lost their mind ]

Idiots will be idiots....Go Tigers!!!!!

Ratings...***

Apr 4, 2019, 7:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a sound business decision

Apr 4, 2019, 8:12 AM

If you look at the #'s. Say whatever you want about SAS, he KILLS it in the ratings.

Apr 4, 2019, 8:15 AM

I to cannot stand to watch or listen to the guy, but he is an entertainer for the masses, so his ratings are probably good. He's similar to trying to watch or listen to the Kardashians and their daily exploits. I can feel the brain cells being sucked out of my head with each spoken word.

Apr 4, 2019, 8:30 AM

Entertainment, like art and so many other things are subjective. I don't enjoy his "act". I guess "one man's junk is another man's treasure".

Don't care...

Apr 4, 2019, 8:55 AM

I seldom watch ESPN unless there is a real sporting event on. Talking heads give me a headache.

He has dropped the overt racism in his reporting

Apr 4, 2019, 10:38 AM

which has helped his image and marketability. Hopefully he stays that way. The constant pushing of racism and politics almost took ESPN down there for a while. Nothing wrong with addressing social issues on certain shows but middle of the day propagandizing of the public did nothing but divide them. Let the cable news networks do their mudslinging but keep sports above reproach. Stephen A has learned this i believe. wE'll see how long it lasts though.

Apr 4, 2019, 11:25 AM

I cant stand watching sports talk shows. I want to see an actual game. Sportstalk shows are like watching short, fat, little bald guys rattle off baseball stats. So painfully boring

Have never watched his show nor do I plan to.***

Apr 4, 2019, 12:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

No, everyone else has.

Apr 4, 2019, 12:55 PM

Stephen A is crazy popular. Don't ask me why, but he is.

Re: No, everyone else has.

Apr 4, 2019, 1:53 PM

He’s entertaining. How he talks,the loudness and brashness is entertaining. Listen to him the day after we beat Alabama this year. He was raving about Dabo and how he will never bet against Dabo again in his life. Or listen to the interview when he responded for be a sell out and Uncle Tom. It was a great response.

Re: No, everyone else has.

Apr 4, 2019, 3:27 PM

Number 5- ALABAMA!
Number4- ALABAMA!
Number 3- ALABAMA!
Number 2- ALABAMA!
Number 1- ALABAMA!!!

Now you know why I don’t watch this loudmouth.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama = 5. Bama = 4. Bama =3........

Apr 4, 2019, 6:16 PM

That was genius a genius bit by SAS. Every media talking head sports guy , local and national radio & local and national TV, was pumping up Bama all fall last year. Bama got so much smoke blown up their shorts, it was hilarious.

SAS recognized that, amped it up to an hilarious exaggeration and had a fun bit with it. I didn't see or hear it live, but it's gold in the post-game era.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2019, 7:53 PM

The biggest question is why are they paying Mike Greenberg 7 mill a year, at least Smith has a following.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t watch or listen to any of the clowns

Apr 4, 2019, 9:01 PM

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic