Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Report: ESPN wants to delay ACC Network
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

FB Update: Report: ESPN wants to delay ACC Network

Oct 30, 2015, 10:28 AM

Report: ESPN wants to delay ACC Network

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing wrong with wanting to do it right as long as ESPN

Oct 30, 2015, 10:38 AM

agrees to pay the money to keep us relatively close to the figures the conferences with networks are making.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nothing wrong with wanting to do it right as long as ESPN

Oct 30, 2015, 10:41 AM

Yeah that's not going to happen.

null

HEY! If you can't trust espn, who can ya trust!!?***

Oct 30, 2015, 11:19 AM

Re: HEY! If you can't trust espn, who can ya trust!!?***

Oct 30, 2015, 6:25 PM

If that is truely a question, then the answer is absolutely nobady!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If ESPN's financial situation doesn't improve in the next

Oct 30, 2015, 10:42 AM

couple of years i wonder if they will back out entirely.

Sure... "Pay us."***

Oct 30, 2015, 10:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If ESPN's financial situation doesn't improve in the next

Oct 30, 2015, 2:22 PM [ in reply to If ESPN's financial situation doesn't improve in the next ]

That might be the stupidest thing ever said on T-Net and that's a pretty low target. ESPN continues to be the one exception to declines in cable viewership.

http://www.ibtimes.com/walt-disney-company-dis-earnings-q2-2015-cinderella-story-profits-rise-espn-showdown-1908644

Their earnings keep going up and up and up. I work for a company who owns cable entities in S.C. and Georgia and I can tell you that ESPN is in the best bargaining position of any content provider. Think about it. We did a survey of our customers and found that only 25% of them cared whether we offered ESPN or not. I thought that number was way off until I read the report further. In 85% of our households, that 25% made the decision on whether to buy our service or not.

We were thinking about dropping a provider who offered Cartoon Network and Comedy Central. Their viewership was down, but they wanted a price increase of >100%. That customer survey indicated that we would lose 20% of our customers if we dropped those channels. We negotiated a slightly better deal than they initially offered, but not much and we had to sign a long term deal.

If we drop ESPN, how many of our customers do you think we would keep? 15-20% might be optimistic. Therefore, ESPN can almost dictate how much they want to pay and how many of their channels we have to take. Look at the channel count and you'll see that ESPN Ocho isn't that far away.

So, all those layoffs then?

Oct 30, 2015, 2:28 PM

Something isn't good somewhere.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And yet... They continue to lose subscribers

Oct 30, 2015, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: If ESPN's financial situation doesn't improve in the next ]

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/10/26/Media/ESPN.aspx

“It’s not cord cutting; it’s cord shaving,” said one executive familiar with ESPN’s strategy. “ESPN is losing subscribers at a faster rate than others.”

If you work in the business, you may want to brush up on the current undertakings at ESPN regarding their (poor) long term investments and recent layoffs. It's not a viable business model going forward unless they start making concessions.

That DOES it!

Oct 30, 2015, 10:46 AM

You mean to tell me I have to wait for my 24/7 ACC volleyball and softball?

That really burns my shorts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Sounds pretty lame. We need new leadership for the ACC.***

Oct 30, 2015, 10:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably has more to do with

Oct 30, 2015, 11:03 AM

getting 3 tier rights back than anything else. Let's also not forget,NO MATTER what ESecPN says, they've been losing money, viewers and laying off since they launched the SEC Network.Things are not as rosey as they paint them.

Re: Probably has more to do with

Oct 30, 2015, 11:40 AM

because basically they are a one horse conference with football. sure there are a few exceptions, but really, who cares about SEC basketball (except Kentucky),or any other sport, they have few original programming,and the games they carry are basically 3rd tier type match ups. I watch if there is not another game on I am interested in simply because I am a college fb fan, but I bet I don't spend over an hour the rest of the year watching any programming on that network.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably has more to do with

Oct 30, 2015, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Probably has more to do with ]

ESPN is not losing money, but if the SEC network had to stand on its own, it likely would not be showing a profit. The biggest factor is that ESPN can bundle the ESPN family of channels with the SEC Network.

I know CFB isn't ESPNs biggest revenue generator

Oct 30, 2015, 11:03 AM

but it is a big part of how they bring in money. It almost makes you wonder if the years of shoving Team SEC down everyone's throat has driven people away (and towards places like Fox).

I know I personally quit watching ESPN except for live sporting events because all the talking heads on there are so stupid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

me too, I only watch it if I reeeally want to see the game

Oct 30, 2015, 11:22 AM

that they're showing. We, the people, have grown tired of them just as we did the bcs and you see what happened there.

No it's not from that.

Oct 30, 2015, 11:51 AM [ in reply to I know CFB isn't ESPNs biggest revenue generator ]

ESPN had the highest ratings of any channel last year. The decline in revenue is due to people cutting cable entirely, not from people tuning in to other channels.

Re: I know CFB isn't ESPNs biggest revenue generator

Oct 30, 2015, 2:25 PM [ in reply to I know CFB isn't ESPNs biggest revenue generator ]

you got that right, two people bickering over nothing. one for and one against, day after day.

Oct 30, 2015, 2:47 PM [ in reply to I know CFB isn't ESPNs biggest revenue generator ]

I don't watch ESPN much, but I do watch ESPN-U.

Oct 30, 2015, 6:07 PM [ in reply to I know CFB isn't ESPNs biggest revenue generator ]

The have huge costs involved with broadcast rights. The SEC package was a disastrous decision...

So the SEC network has backfired on them?***

Oct 30, 2015, 11:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I honestly don't know how successful SECN has been for them,

Oct 30, 2015, 11:55 AM

but their primary issue is that people are ditching cable and ESPN has failed to adapt to the changing landscape by offering streaming packages directly to consumers.

Re: I honestly don't know how successful SECN has been for them,

Oct 30, 2015, 12:42 PM

There are streaming options available...

Re: I honestly don't know how successful SECN has been for them,

Oct 30, 2015, 1:42 PM

There aren't many options available if you don't already have a TV package. At least, not for the premier games.

Yeah, they all require a login through a cable company

Oct 30, 2015, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: I honestly don't know how successful SECN has been for them, ]

or ISP.

Yes - I rarely watch any conference network. All replays...

Oct 30, 2015, 11:58 AM [ in reply to So the SEC network has backfired on them?*** ]

and highlights available on the Internet / YouTube. Best games are televised live on other channels. Who watches their "programming"?

In the case of the SEC network, how many Dollar General, Walmart, Morgan & Morgan, local pawn or pown shops advertising $$$ are available?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coming soon...

Oct 30, 2015, 11:47 AM

The ACC Network...brought to you by Raycom Sports....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Report: ESPN wants to delay ACC Network

Oct 30, 2015, 11:51 AM

I'd personally like to see the ACC gravitate more towards Fox. IMO, I like their analysts better and feel that the Fox network is in a better financial situation than Disney is (Disney controls ESPN and ABC for those that don't know).

ACC conference = redundant***

Oct 30, 2015, 1:05 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Atlantic Coast Conference...Conference +1***

Oct 30, 2015, 2:34 PM

EsecPN recently laid off a bunch of staff

Oct 30, 2015, 1:41 PM

They are having struggles as the cable industry changes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2015, 1:45 PM

They just want to extend the deal without paying more.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Solution: Let FOX do it.

Oct 30, 2015, 3:02 PM

Why do we have to play Follow the Leader with ESPN?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If college basketball players stayed longer

Oct 30, 2015, 4:36 PM

college basketball would be huge again and the ACC network would have more value. I hope one day college hoops can regain it's glory. That would be huge for Clemson.

Oct 30, 2015, 4:54 PM

Time for the ACC to put some heat on ESPIN! Either "put up or pack up," and expect competition from FOX or perhaps CBS. One of the reasons fans and media look down on the ACC is related to this circumstance. Every other major conference already has their own network. Swoffie needs to finish this or retire. Give ESPIN a deadline!

Go Tigers!

Oct 30, 2015, 6:03 PM

That means they (ESPN) don't want to do it. They are losing their ### on the SEC deal.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic