Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
That Clemson Feeling (Long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 974

That Clemson Feeling (Long)

Jan 4, 2017, 5:43 PM

Do you remember the first time you felt Clemson? I do. Fall 1972. A cool, crisp night in Death Valley for Tigerama. The shuttering boom of the Pershing Rifles. The thrill of large fireworks. And a game the next day against Virginia. A rare Tiger win that season! It was a big weekend for a wide-eyed 7 year old from Allendale County. And there was something else. Something I wanted to get back and see, live, and experience. The floats on Bowman field, the pride, the family. That something was Clemson.

Flash forward to 1981. Already I am a veteran of many football games. I saw a crowd love a team so much in 1980 against VPI at Homecoming that the Tigers won the game. I think it was one of the most impactful moments on my young life. Their love for Clemson was so much that on Homecoming they helped the Tigers get it done. Ah, but the magical year of 1981. The sun on my young tanned face sitting with my dad at 15 years old in the old west endzone watching the Tigers pull off the improbable—a win over the 1980 National Champions the Georgia Bulldogs in front of a loud Tiger crowd. The crowd was perfect. The game perfect. And the fans who stayed cheering 15 minutes after the last tick of the clock, well that was . . . Clemson.

And then I was there as a student. Johnstone E-6 was my home for 2 years looking out from that height on the misty Blue Ridge every morning and loving every moment of my college experience. Those First Fridays, those Tiger Town Tavern pitcher evenings, and those Whirls Sing-a Long’s pointers, sunbathing on the ledge at E-6 – all memories of what made it so good. Those great professors and friends. Those moments of learning and thinking about things beyond the ordinary. Growing. Leaning. The happy fans in Death Valley who could never see what was coming down the road. Life was good. That was Clemson.
Then there were those dark days and years. The Clemson I had grown up with-as a solid football power was racked and torn by Ford’s dismissal. The years of glory quickly faded for some time with only occasional flashes to highlight the days of glory long gone.

And then Dabo. The first the hope. Something new and positive. But a slow growing dream with hurt along the way. The loses that torn you gut out like the 2011 Orange Bowl. The beat down in the Valley by Winston and FSU. The 5 bombs. The slander.

And then the miracle win over LSU! The midnight New Year’s Day kiss. The memorable win over Georgia in Death Valley. The Orange Bowl win over Ohio State. The breaking of the 5 peat and the restoration of order in the Palmetto State. The 14-1 season with wins over FSU and Oklahoma. The gut wrenching loss to Bama. The slow, torturous 2016 season with the stomach churning wins over Louisville, NC State, and FSU. The awesome beat down of the Gamecocks and the historic shutout of Urban Meyer. And through thick and thin the love and loyalty of Clemson nation. That is … Clemson.

Here we are Clemson family. Nothing is guaranteed but opportunity awaits. Whatever happens we will do it with that Clemson spirit. That Clemson drive. That Clemson feeling. I can’t wait! I just have a Clemson feeling about this one! Clemson will shine and the love of all those who love her will lift this team up.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That Clemson Feeling (Long)

Jan 4, 2017, 8:03 PM

Well spoken

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 974
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic