Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney says Lawrence could shave his head and go to Publix
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Swinney says Lawrence could shave his head and go to Publix

Mar 5, 2019, 7:07 AM

When he talks, we listen’
Unassuming Lawrence emerging as leader, gaining celebrity status
BY GENE SAPAKOFF
gsapakof f@postandcourier.com

Picture
FILE/RICHARD SHIRO/AP

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence, who will be a sophomore in the fall, is 11-0 as a starter.

CLEMSON — Trevor Lawrence is not one for long speeches that begin with catchphrases. No opening lines such as, “Let me hit you with some knowledge” or “Hey, guys, here’s the way I see it ...”

Clemson’s 19-year-old rising sophomore quarterback still has made only 11 college starts. But because Lawrence is 11-0 in those games and because the last two were masterful performances in routs of Notre Dame and Alabama on the way to a national championship, he gets the attention of teammates with an economical use of words.

“Let’s compete.”

“Let’s get better.”

“Everybody just knows that he’s our leader,” junior wide receiver Amari Rodgers said. “He’s QB1 now. He doesn’t talk much, but when he talks, we listen. He’s proven himself.”

An unassuming nature, the way Lawrence smoothly handled competing with and eventually beating out Kelly Bryant last season, that’s part of it, too.

Add a new leadership role to Lawrence’s jaw-dropping freshman season, and the complete college quarterback package is emerging.

“I feel like we’ve started off in a good place, especially for me,” Lawrence said Monday night after the Tigers’ fourth spring practice. “I’m in a lot different spot than I was last year, coming in and trying to learn everything. So it feels good. I feel comfortable.” The upside has to be scary for Clemson foes. Consider that Lawrence hasn’t yet been through a full spring or preseason as the quarterback getting the bulk of snaps.

Fellow Clemson players are fully on board the Trevor train.

“He’s the same dude in and out,” senior safety Tanner Muse said. “He grinds. He’s always going to be that guy with a top-level work ethic. Always.”

“I’m in a lot different spot than I was last year, coming in and trying to learn everything. So it feels good. I feel comfortable.”
Trevor Lawrence
Clemson quar terback

Everyone on campus and in Pickens County is well aware. The 6-6 frame and long blond hair give Lawrence away.

“He’s definitely got that celebrity status after that season,” Muse said. “You see it all the time, and he does a great job with it.”

At this rate, by the time Lawrence is through at Clemson, every student and season ticket holder will have a selfie.

“You just have to be ready going out,” Lawrence said. “It’s a little different than it used to be. You have to be ready to take pictures and talk to people and be real social when you go out. You can’t go out and just do your own thing. So it’s kind of picking and choosing.”

It wouldn’t be so hard, head coach Dabo Swinney said Monday, if Lawrence just shaved his head.

“He might be able to go to Publix,” Swinney said, only half-joking.

But the most noticeable change is on the field, where Lawrence is much more comfortable taking charge.

Throwingfor3,280yardsand 30 touchdowns with only four interceptions goes a long way. “He has a lot more confidence,” junior wide receiver Tee Higgins said. “You can tell he’s taking a lead and getting us right, doing all those little things.”

Practice had been over for almost a half-hour Monday nightbutafewplayersremained onthefieldatClemson’sindoor facility. Not surprisingly, one of them was No. 16, easily recognizable even without the jersey.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the text of the article

Mar 5, 2019, 8:04 AM

I wouldn't want to give Sapakoff a click.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Is Sapakoff now the Clemson beat after Grace Raynor left?***

Mar 5, 2019, 12:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If TL shaves his head,

Mar 5, 2019, 12:25 PM

can I get one of his locks for my scrapbook?

signed, Francis Marion®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: If TL shaves his head,

Mar 5, 2019, 12:35 PM

I agree Francis Marion® is a weird gal...but um, I’ll take one of those also.

Not so much for the scrapbook. It’s an investment. Lots of creepers would pay good money for that on the dark webs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If TL shaves his head,

Mar 5, 2019, 12:43 PM

I remember seeing Trevor downtown Clemson a few weeks after he arrived on campus. He was walking around among the crowds and not a single person recognized him. I recognized him instantly though. I kind of gave him the "whats up nod." He gave me one back and I got all giddy.. lol.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic