Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did you know we have "windy" roads in Clemson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 2,240

Did you know we have "windy" roads in Clemson?

Sep 9, 2019, 5:40 AM

I think she means that our roads are winding since there wasn't much of a breeze on Saturday. If you drive in from the interstate the roads are pretty straight. And somehow she makes the connection between a graveyard sitting next to the stadium and the name Death Valley, something I don't think I've ever heard before. Like the teams coming to Death Valley have to walk past the graveyard and they get spooked. This is what passes for writing and editing at the Houston Chronicle. But as you can read in her bio, this is all in the name of diversity.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/article/Creech-Texas-A-M-s-hopes-of-upsetting-Clemson-14422237.php?fbclid=IwAR3UmRAPTD8bbTtRMF0Yu7IeQm2OdvLhS4Jx5yvr9a5X_waL6QePct-XCHU

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the summary. Not turning off my Ad-Blocker for that***

Sep 9, 2019, 5:43 AM

nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Windy and windy are spelt the same

Sep 9, 2019, 6:18 AM

certainly you know what a windy road is?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know what a winding road is....***

Sep 9, 2019, 6:33 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lennon and McCartney didn’t call it a Long and Windy

Sep 9, 2019, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Windy and windy are spelt the same ]

Road....

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Lennon and McCartney didn’t call it a Long and Windy

Sep 9, 2019, 8:37 AM

Funny--my first thought as well.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

That was a pure McCartney song. Lennon went out of his

Sep 9, 2019, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Lennon and McCartney didn’t call it a Long and Windy ]

say to bash Paul's songwriting once The Beatles split up. He called it "pop crap for the masses." That crap is still selling pretty well 55 years on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not ashamed to admit I have used "wine-dy" to describe

Sep 9, 2019, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Windy and windy are spelt the same ]

roads. While I agree that "winding" may be more proper, I never heard that term used much growing up in rural South Carolina.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eerie graveyard. Most visitors wouldn’t notice it

Sep 9, 2019, 6:29 AM

unless someone pointed it out

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Compared to Texas, they’re quite windy.

Sep 9, 2019, 6:45 AM

And depending on how one approaches our stadium, one can in fact walk through a graveyard.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have to learn to be flattered at dumb articles.

Sep 9, 2019, 7:43 AM

It means uninformed people who used to not pay us any attention are now paying attention. And her bio does make her truly qualified to write an ill informed but flattering article.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have to learn to be flattered at dumb articles.

Sep 9, 2019, 7:57 AM

Apparently this "rag" of a paper doesn't have a sports page editor, or maybe he drinks on the job. I believe the word she was looking for would have been "winding road", but I have to wonder from which direction did she come to Clemson? Perhaps she spent Friday night in Highlands N.C. !!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 8:20 AM

For some reason she nor her editor used "Tortuous" to describe the winding roads. Wonder why?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: We have to learn to be flattered at dumb articles. ]

Texas and the entire Midwest is laid out in a grid system. I guess it does seem “windy” whatever the heck that is to them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you know we have "windy" roads in Clemson?

Sep 9, 2019, 8:14 AM

Her words and article don't bother me, she's A TA&M writer and has a different view than us Tiger fans. The real eerie graveyard is SEATH VALLEY, not Cemetery Hill.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you know we have "windy" roads in Clemson?

Sep 9, 2019, 8:31 AM

My motorcycle and I are grateful for those "windy" roads. :)

But "tortuous"? Nah. More like "glorious".

Pretty sure we didn’t “rely on a couple of big plays”

Sep 9, 2019, 8:52 AM

I know the normal word behind nagging

Sep 9, 2019, 8:58 AM

Is usually cramps. But I don’t know that “nagging cramps” is used that much in a sports story.

Re: I know the normal word behind nagging

Sep 9, 2019, 11:14 AM

Ahh, but a cramping nag would be another thing altogether.

https://youtu.be/Hb8I1My6zOM

Re: I know the normal word behind nagging

Sep 9, 2019, 11:20 AM

Maybe she camped out at Twin Lakes or up near Camp Greenville.

Replies: 19
| visibility 2,240
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic