Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In 1979 My 9 yr. old Son & I drove up to ND with Paw Flag...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,081

In 1979 My 9 yr. old Son & I drove up to ND with Paw Flag...

Apr 18, 2013, 2:15 PM

and it was stolen by student in the 4th quarter of a fantastic win. More about that later.

This is the game that Will & I ran into Danny & the Tiger Team when they were getting out of bus at ND stadium on the Friday look-through..and he allowed us to walk in with team to check out the field which was neat in that I shouted out that the field didn't look any different that ours..and Danny seconded that with a grunt & a smile.

But, Will & I had lingered around and found everyone had left..and the door to the locker room was locked..and we couldn't get out..so we walked over and up to where a loud noise was coming from the main street level and then down a hallway where ND student trainers were painting the helmets with a fresh coat of gold paint..and told us we could go out through the ND locker room. Any way, we got out of the stadium after my young son had cried his head off in fear..and my heart was pounding too.

Now, During the tight & exciting game (with 5200 in Orange there but split up with us in end zone & others on side line behind team) a ND student had the nerve to come down the isle and steal my Paw flag. I yelled at the Clemson people near him and they tripped him up so I could fall on him and regain the flag..which I held up on its pole and waved it high which had hundreds of Tiger Fans yelling.

After the game we jumped over the brick wall and past the famous ND marching guard (6'2" with kilts) and raced onto the field which now had hundred of Clemson fans & the band yelling & screaming with pride..at which point the band director asked me to step up on the tiny ladder beside him..me waving the flag & he directing Tiger Rag.

I know Jim Phillips must have described this scene to the radio audience back home. I do know it was electric there!

Of course, my son being only 9 meant he was tired & hungry..so we got some food after being yelled out by some angry ND fans..called home to let them know we were stopping in Indy for the night, and would be in Greenville SC around 6 PM Sunday.

Well, I got so fired up by the win, cars blowing at me on the way home that I drove all night (12 hours)..couple of times almost running off the road when I actually fell asleep at the wheel..but reaching G'ville around 5AM..bought up about six different newspapers at the Post Office..got home, put Will in his bed, sat on the guest rest room pottie and read the sports section of every paper to "be sure" we won! Then, I went to sleep in his room so not to disturb the Wife & Daughter at other end of house.

Around 8 PM they awoke, saw my car in the drive-way..and woke us up to celebrate. What a Game, What a Win..and one where my Son & I bonded 100%..with us going to many other bowls together til this day (he's 43 now)..and the 3' x 5' Orange Cotton Flag with the white PAW is encased in a frame..with blood on it, holes & dirt.

It went to scores of regular games home & away (giving me the name of "The Flag Man" from Bob Bradley)..10 bowls from 1977-1992 with a 7-3 winning record..including games at Notre Dame, at Boston College with loss to Doug Flutie, against Georgia & Hershall, and against Nebraska for the National Championship. She's a keeper in my large Clemson collection..til I die!

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In 1979 My 9 yr. old Son & I drove up to ND with Paw Flag...

Apr 18, 2013, 2:26 PM

Great story and mind is similar. Drove from Gville Fiday afternoon and right back after game (bad fog from Knoxville to Asheville). I was on the fielde after the game and dotted the "i" when I told the Tiger I was doing it no matter his stating I couldn't. Guess he and the majorette saw I wasn't backing down, and the agreed. Great Times!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haa CUTIGR69...we were on ND Field together after big 79 win

Apr 18, 2013, 2:28 PM

Thanks for sharing Tiger! GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing. My daughter was 2 days old on his day.

Apr 18, 2013, 6:38 PM

I was to have been at the hospital at 3:00 that day to feed her for the first time. I was late and have never heard the end of it from wife.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,081
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic