Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Protecting The Diamond: Can a freshman left tackle protect Deshaun Watson?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 4,636

New Story: Protecting The Diamond: Can a freshman left tackle protect Deshaun Watson?

Jun 25, 2015, 4:27 PM

Protecting The Diamond: Can a freshman left tackle protect Deshaun Watson?

Freshman Mitch Hyatt will likely be tasked with protecting Deshaun Watson's blindside this fall, and the Tigers could have two true freshmen at the tackle spots at points this season. Can the Tigers protect the diamond in the middle of the offense? Hyatt's uncle says yes. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Protecting The Diamond: Can a freshman left tackle protect Deshaun Watson?

Jun 25, 2015, 4:35 PM

excellent work david

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks deroberts

Jun 25, 2015, 4:42 PM

Appreciate the kind words

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Protecting The Diamond: Can a freshman left tackle protect Deshaun Watson?

Jun 25, 2015, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Protecting The Diamond: Can a freshman left tackle protect Deshaun Watson? ]

?? now Mr deroberts, what is your opinion on Mitch Hyatt starting the season off as a true freshman LT protecting our ???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^CAPSLOCK BROKEN^^^***

Jun 25, 2015, 7:35 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Protecting The Diamond: Can a freshman left tackle protect Deshaun Watson? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I am not too worried about Mitch Hyatt

Jun 25, 2015, 4:48 PM

If what Dabo says is correct, in that he has O-linemen that want to play o-line from 2015 Recruiting class, then I expect Mitch to be on par. And if we learned anything from Deshaun Watson, when your ready, you're just ready!!! Dabo has shown year after year he has recruited better than we have had. QB, RB, WR. O-line and TEs have got to be next on offense.

Re: I am not too worried about Mitch Hyatt

Jun 26, 2015, 9:38 AM

Well lets take a look here, didn't Dabo say once that Parker could play QB for about any NFL??? After how many years now, I'm still wishing that he wouldn't have ever made that brick short of a load comment....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2015, 3:50 PM

I am assuming the Kyle Parker comment was 2009. Then we had Tajh Boyd, who was pretty decent. Now we have Deshaun Watson and we saw what he did in a short time. Same can be said about the defensive side of the ball. And since he did not mention Hyatt as the NFL prospect from Clemson, I will think that Coach has a better idea in 2015 about the players he help or did recruit (unlike Parker, who was NOT a Swinney recruit but rather his QB).

Jun 26, 2015, 1:01 PM [ in reply to I am not too worried about Mitch Hyatt ]

We do have some we haven't seen yet. Milan Richard will be very good, IMO, and I'm sure there will be others. Same on the OL. There are several RS OL who should be in line for some major action. I think, for a change, we do have some good prospective OL depth this year, and that will just get better with time. OL is a tough position, and it usually takes a little longer, but our cupboard is not bare from a talent standpoint.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chills

Jun 25, 2015, 4:49 PM

When was the last time we had an offensive lineman like this kid? It's like when CJ committed - a whole different level of athlete joined the team.

Re: Chills

Jun 25, 2015, 5:24 PM

He's definitely what we need. By the middle of the season he'll be a monster. I always liked his film pure nasty. Won't give up to anyone. He gets the 2 games of practice then he has to be ready. I think he will be.

Hyatt can , and will.***

Jun 25, 2015, 5:24 PM

Jun 25, 2015, 5:31 PM

Thank you for the great article! The question: Can a freshman left tackle protect Deshaun Watson? My answer is "He has to, because we have no other viable choice at the moment." Please, Mitch, stay healthy!

They can sugar coat it if.......

Jun 25, 2015, 6:52 PM

they want to, but this doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings.

lol

Re: They can sugar coat it if.......

Jun 26, 2015, 11:33 AM

Hyatt is rated as high or higher as the three true freshmen that started at offensive tackle for Alabama, FSU and Oregon last year - two were Left Tackles - 3 of the four playoff teams last year started true freshman offensive tackles - that's a 75% majority.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oh really...

Jun 26, 2015, 3:43 PM

didn't know that....

Still though, I have some concerns about the OL

Hyatt is very talented but

Jun 25, 2015, 7:48 PM

no one would ideally start on the OL as a true freshman; the good news is he's the best OL we have had in a long, long time. I suspect he will do OK, have some bust, have some successes but his attitude and physicality will greatly aid his performance.

Depth is where Battle's loss really hurts. We were already thin and if Mitch goes down hurt, the OL could unravel quickly. Thank goodness Jay G. is back!

Let's hope he learns quickly and keeps adding weight/strength. He looks like he will be a special player.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eric Harmon started at guard as a freshman I believe.

Jun 25, 2015, 8:15 PM

I think he was from NJ and was some other player's cousin.......Right or wrong?

we are so thin on the OL that all the freshman

Jun 26, 2015, 2:50 AM

will be playing this year

Next Man Up!

Jun 26, 2015, 9:26 AM

That's what we must have on this team from top to bottom. I am not afraid of anybody we have out there coming in and having success.

We will be just fine.

Jun 26, 2015, 9:55 AM

I think Hyatt is going to be a heck of a player...but it's difficult to ask a true freshman to come in and start on the offensive line from day 1. He's going to have a lot of growing pains, so we will need to be patient....we just need to hope these growing pains don't result in injuries. There are two things which I believe will help:

1. Instead of having a "kickoff classic" game against Auburn or Georgia, we have two cupcake games to start the season. This will give Hyatt and Fruhmorgen an opportunity to experience the speed of the game.

2. Our defensive line is very talented and our young offensive linemen are going to be practicing against them every day. This should give the new guys a good idea of what to expect on the field.

Yes he can

Jun 26, 2015, 11:20 AM

I am very confident in Mitch. He has had the most raw talent in a lineman we've had in decades. He also enrolled early to get extra months in the weight room, learning the playbook, and practicing against Collegiate defensive players. This not only gave him more experience and time to get stronger, but shows his dedication to becoming a serious football player.

From everything I have seen, he not only has the potential but the drive and work ethic to be great. Experience is important but getting to practice against the likes of Shaq Lawson should prepare him for anything he will see. Starting with two tune up games in the season will also help him be ready when we play Louisville, and he will have several games under his belt by the time we play FSU.

While we lose depth, I think having him play early will have positives that outweigh the negatives, as he will get extra experience early and become the elite tackle he is meant to be earlier. This will pay dividends this season and in 2016 he will have had a full year under his belt.

Clemson has had a great defense and great skill players in the past few years. The one thing we were missing that kept us being a very good team not an elite team was having a good O line and not a great O line (Alabama comes to mind). With these linemen (Hyatt, Fruhmorgen, Green and others we are recruiting now), in addition to the skill players we have, the sky is the limit for Clemson moving forward.

Jun 26, 2015, 1:43 PM

Hate to say I told you so, but ever since we signed only two O-linemen in back-to-back recruiting classes in 2013 & 2014 I've been expecting it to come back to haunt us. My biggest question is was this by choice or did we just miss out on a couple recruits?

We had 4 freshman offensive lineman start in the 2008 season

Jun 26, 2015, 2:50 PM

And none of them were on the level of Mitch Hyatt. Actually during that 2008 season, those freshman didn't do that bad towards the end of the season. I think will see some growing pains from hyatt early on but as the season progresses, we are going to be satisfied with Hyatt as long as he doesn't go down (knocking on wood). I hope those lineman are busting there but right now during summer workouts because we will need every single one of them come fall

Replies: 23
| visibility 4,636
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic