Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Calling on SC Lawn Experts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Calling on SC Lawn Experts

Feb 27, 2018, 12:16 PM

Centipede lawn in the Midlands. It looks like green up is well on its way. I am planning on putting down pre-emergent today. I also have piles of Dandelions and some grassy winter weeds like Poa annua.

1) Was I too late on the the pre emergent? The CU Extension says March 15, but I also saw the fine print saying 4 days in a row of 80F (or something like that)
2) Centipede can be sensitive to 2-4-D, so is applying it now during green up a bad idea? I mean, my yard looks like a sunflower field and I'd love to keep those seeds from germinating but my turf isn't exactly Augusta National healthy.
3)Ground moles are rampant so I'm going to put down heavy grub killer in the next month and lace the yard with enough poison peanuts to give satin a buzz.

What am I screwing up?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A/S/L?***

Feb 27, 2018, 12:17 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

14 / M / Chester.............U?***

Feb 27, 2018, 12:29 PM

Re: Calling on SC Lawn Experts

Feb 27, 2018, 12:26 PM

I have a gregorious lawn of afro weeds with purple flowers in them. If I look real closely, I can see some semblance of Centipede sprinkled here and there. I tried to crank the lawnmower Sunday, but after spending the day Saturday tearing a deck down and hauling it off, my ### was tired. I drank beer instead.

tl;rd: ### my yard right now

Basically me for the last 9 years***

Feb 27, 2018, 1:49 PM

I'm checking my phone and I got no calls

Feb 27, 2018, 12:28 PM

guess I'm not an expert

I'm not going to worry about pre-emergent this year since

Feb 27, 2018, 12:33 PM

everything is greening up so fast. I more or less scalped my yard over the weekend, the bermuda will choke everything else out by the end of April or so, centipede ought to do the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was concerned scalping mine

Feb 27, 2018, 12:38 PM

in case a freeze comes through again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Mine was kind of unintentional

Feb 27, 2018, 12:44 PM

Meant to just cut it, but "2" on my old lawnmower and "2" on the new one is not the same....at all. The grass is coming out of dormancy though so hopefully it'll be aight, if we can get through the next couple of weeks it should be OK.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sprayed mine this past weekend

Feb 27, 2018, 12:37 PM

I have bermuda. Got a lot of clover and issues with the purple flower weeds. They have been green all winter, but started growing recently. So I spray the hell out of it. Hopefully, by the time it gets good and dead the grass will have enough grow to start choking it out

Around April I'll come through with a high nitrogen fertilizer to handle the clover and give the grass a good green boost.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

For centipede, you only really need one good fertilizing

Feb 27, 2018, 12:47 PM

/feeding. I usually put out this around the end of April or early May. This warm spell sucks because the grass is starting to grow, but it's still winter. But when I put this out, it kills all the weeds and makes the lawn a pretty green. You have to endure a month or two of weeds though, but after applying this, the lawn is great through the fall. IF you do a second application, I would do the winter fertilizer in late Octoberish.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Scotts-Bonus-S-Southern-Weed-and-Feed-34-79-lb-10000-sq-ft-29-0-10-Lawn-Fertilizer/4712639

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I second this. The Scott's southern blend was great...

Feb 27, 2018, 1:20 PM

last year. I applied it twice once in April once in October. Centipede really filled in bare spots last year and very few weeds poppiing up now.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I second this. The Scott's southern blend was great...

Feb 27, 2018, 1:31 PM

You should have used that stuff 3 years ago. It had a bad formula and burned up a lot of yards. Scotts was giving people $10000 checks to relandscape their yards because of it

Yep. They printed the spreader settings wrong

Feb 27, 2018, 3:09 PM

Tons of people burned their yards to a crisp. I remember Lowes had pulled all the bags the day before. Used another kind. Knew several victims.

But it does work great. Not sure I would use the same in the fall. But at most you do a spring and fall application for centipede. I've always done just spring and been fine. Don't jump the gun though on putting this stuff out. Seriously wait until at least early April. Wait until the yard is totally green and temperatures are regularly above 80 degrees. You will suffer from a good month or so of bad weeds, but once you apply this you're good to go. Do it too early and you will get weeds coming back and the grass will not be as green. You're jumping the gun to fertilize centipede right now or put out weed killer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For centipede, you only really need one good fertilizing

Feb 27, 2018, 1:41 PM [ in reply to For centipede, you only really need one good fertilizing ]

I bet that stuff does well b/c it uses Atrazine as the weed killer, which is supposed to be good for centipede killing the lespadezia/clover crap.

I like the idea of weed killing granuals.

Yep. And apply it to wet grass

Feb 27, 2018, 3:11 PM

Do it in the early morning dew or run your sprinklers before applying. Makes the weed killer stick to the weeds. It is expensive. I have to buy two 10,000 sq ft bags and a 5,000sq ft bag. Runs around $150. But that's it. About the same as I spent fertilizing Bermuda 4+ times a year.

Feb 27, 2018, 1:30 PM

Thanks but I've already tried that***

Feb 27, 2018, 1:38 PM

Re: What is this poison peanuts of which you speak

Feb 27, 2018, 2:04 PM

I live in the woods and moles also like the woods and occasionally like my centipede.
I have used the grub treatment the last two years and has helped. Probably again this year about June per structions.

Poison Peanuts are four moles? Da?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 27, 2018, 2:26 PM

This is some helpful info

https://carolinafreshfarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/About-Centipede.pdf

hoos scok is this?***

Feb 27, 2018, 4:22 PM

Feb 27, 2018, 4:04 PM

From the internet:
Predators of moles include snakes, skunks, foxes, weasels, hawks, owls, and domestic cats and dogs.

I suggest you fill your yard with an assortment of these animals to handle the moles.

All of these animals can easily be dispatched with a well placed .22LR.

You're welcome.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Feb 27, 2018, 4:17 PM

The quick and exciting mole removal method involves piping propane down the tunnels then igniting.
YouTube has some very entertaining instructional videos. Never underestimate the ingenuity of the Mercan Redneck.

Feb 27, 2018, 5:20 PM

It worked 'Nam...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I’m not a SC Lawn Experts

Feb 28, 2018, 7:14 AM

But if you have Po Annua already, it is too late for pre- emergent.

You gone need to pull that crap.

#voiceOfExperience

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic