Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Smokin' yet?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 203

Smokin' yet?

May 24, 2020, 6:52 AM

fluffhead

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah

May 24, 2020, 6:56 AM

I ruined that one.

Went to bed around 11:30 with but on at 225

Woke up at 6 and checked it. BGE at 500 and internal temp at 215.

Good thing this was a fun cook and not a need it for lunch thing.

It’s “resting” now, time will tell if it’s salvageable

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, ####.

May 24, 2020, 7:03 AM

sorry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks

May 24, 2020, 7:09 AM

Mostly disappointing because now I have no idea if dry brining and injecting are new techniques to keep

Everything looked awesome

It’s edible

May 24, 2020, 7:16 AM [ in reply to Well, ####. ]

Going to have to sauce it back to proper moisture.

Bark is pretty much worthless though

Ouch. It happens. The BGE is generally reliable, but I

May 24, 2020, 7:48 AM [ in reply to Yeah ]

suppose you showed why it shouldn't be left. Took one for the team, and I thank you. Could happen to anybody

Semi related, I have had good luck upping the temp to 300 - 350, cutting the time in half while not drying it out too much. Get a little more bark, which I like. Lower and slower can be an end in itself to some, but it seems to me that a little faster doesn't hurt anything; maybe that's just personal taste on my part.

Anyway, I hope it can be made good. Maybe soaking in vinegar after pulling, then straining, would get it back. A guy did that with smoked bison: excellent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was a lot of experimenting going on

May 24, 2020, 8:11 AM

Read that BGE can be used with bottom vent wide open and top vent is only controlling factor. Not buying that. Bottom vent was open more than usual, but not all the way.

Had hickory chunks in the charcoal and did not soak. Wondering if they caught fire and raised the temp.

First time using black bag FOGO charcoal for a low and slow.

There was some edible meat, but the bark was too burnt to be used.

Wait, we talking about practice?

May 24, 2020, 8:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L29cuziRazU

A certain amount of that is needed, and perhaps no two

May 24, 2020, 10:17 AM [ in reply to There was a lot of experimenting going on ]

BGEs are exactly alike (all seal a bit differently when closed). My experience is that, yes, for a long period of untended burn at about 250 - a stable temp for a few hours - the bottom vent is usually no more that a quarter open. The big variables seem to be how much charcoal I have in there, and how long I let it burn before I begin bringing the temp down. I don't really try to standardize those; I just light it, and whenever it pegs I bring the temp down. Sometimes it stabilizes pretty quickly, sometimes I need to adjust up and down for 90 minutes or so before it settles in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One big burnt end?

May 24, 2020, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Yeah ]

Cube it up and lay the sauce to it

Chalk it up to experience

Do you have a wireless thermometer with an alarm?

FireBoard is coming out with V 2.0 that looks really nice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: One big burnt end?

May 24, 2020, 8:48 AM

This one will control a fan to maintain temp

https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-2-drive/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

2 frans of mine have bought green mountain pellet

May 24, 2020, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Yeah ]

Smokers. I’m convinced. Stupid simple. We took the portable version on a Jeep trip and smoked all day everyday while we were on the trails. Great control and app. Reverse sear steaks were the bomb too. Brisket? No problem. I’ll be getting the portable version one of these days and kicking the Akorn to the street.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 203
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic