Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What were you doing on 9/11/01?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

What were you doing on 9/11/01?

Sep 12, 2016, 1:50 PM

I was in the US Navy at Kings Bay Georgia. Someone said a plane had crashed into a building in NY and I thought "Jeez what is wrong with these people?". If you remember someone had flown a private plane into a building in Tampa a few weeks/months before. Anyway someone had a tv on and they said it was a commercial airliner. Warning bells went off in my head. Those guys/gals are good and wouldn't just fly into a building. About then the second plane hit. All heck broke loose. We literally went to a war footing in minutes. We were condition delta (never seen that before or since) and tanks, apc's, and portable sam launchers came out of the woods (literally!). I didn't even know we had them on the base. Submarines were putting to sea with partial crews and all maintenance not done. Needless to say it was tense for a while. I was worried for my family because we heard there were more planes that had been hijacked and we were a very visible target.

So where was everyone else?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What were you doing on 9/11/01?

Sep 12, 2016, 1:53 PM

Biology class in high school.... Unforn teacher turned on the tv in classroom just in time to watch the second plane hit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2016, 2:12 PM

Had just pulled into a friends house to go Harley riding. He was the 1st pick-up of 6. Needless to say we never left his house and watched the news with fear which quickly turned to anger. Was retired from the Navy, but still in the reserves and thought my unit would be activated, but this never happened. Still to this day don't understand as it would have been an easy prevention. Rest on your laurals and pay dearly!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Sep 12, 2016, 2:19 PM

I was hanging around in T-Net TAC when RevDodd said

Sep 12, 2016, 2:34 PM

Something about a plane hitting the WTC ... I thought, dang that's terrible ... Then a few minutes later he said a second plane had hit. That was when the world changed forever. ??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A junior at App St. I had gone back to sleep after

Sep 12, 2016, 2:45 PM

dropping my girlfriend (now wife) off at class. She called me and told me what happened, my first thought was like what you said, some idiot flew their private plane into the building. Then started watching the news and when they said it was an airliner from Boston to L.A. (I think that was it) I knew it was intended to be used as a bomb since it would have been loaded with fuel. Spent the rest of the day going back and forth from classes to watching the news.

Sep 12, 2016, 2:54 PM

Having lunch in Charlotte NC. They had TV's and was showing to planes crashing into buildings. Not a good day.

Sep 12, 2016, 3:06 PM

Ft. Jackson. Just started NCO school. A senior instructor came into the class room and turned on the TV. We watch for a few minutes and then the second plane hit. The primary instructor turned of the TV and went back to teaching. Nothing was going to distract his class...

I was in 5th grade

Sep 12, 2016, 3:09 PM

the teachers told us that we didnt have school the next day because of something happening at the end of the day like 2:30 pm. So we had no idea what was going on. We were speculating like crazy. On the way home my mom put on the radio and I learned about what happened

Interesting choice by the teachers/admin. Makes sense to

Sep 12, 2016, 4:08 PM

keep it quiet with kids, I guess.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

yes we honestly had no idea until the end of the day

Sep 12, 2016, 4:53 PM

and looking back i don't remember our teachers acting any different. But that's probably just a kid being oblivious to adult emotions.

Half the class went to choir (i was not in choir) so we just spent the last 30 minutes playing board games in the classroom and thats when they told us and we started to speculate. One of my classmates was seriously concerned about his grandparents in Ohio so our teacher told him that Ohio was ok but wouldn't say anything else

I was at work in a chemical plant. Not a real warm fuzzy

Sep 12, 2016, 3:41 PM

feeling if you know what I mean. If buildings make good targets, big tanks of chemicals would seem to be real enticing. Things got real tense for several months after that.

I remember at first thinking, well, the buildings were built real stout. About that time, the first one came down. Then, you (at least I) realized, it was only a matter of time before the second one did too, and could they get the people out.

The people who tried to get people out, especially the ones who went into the second tower after the first one fell, were, and are, a special kind of hero, always will be. RIP to the 343.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4th Grade

Sep 12, 2016, 3:44 PM

I was in the fourth grade, and I vividly remember my teacher trying to explain to the class what had transpired with tears in her eyes. I went home and watched the news the rest of the night with a blank stare, just confused as to how the world could be so messed up, and how people could be so evil.

Message was edited by: solidorangetigerfan14®

Message was edited by: solidorangetigerfan14®

Teaching high school in Westminster SC.. I was all of 22

Sep 12, 2016, 4:02 PM

with a baby on the way. Scary sad stuff.

We put CNN on and watched the 2nd plane hit. TV stayed on all week in that classroom.

Message was edited by: soywaker®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Siting in physics/astronomy class at Lexington High School

Sep 12, 2016, 4:07 PM

They made an announcement and said "teachers please turn your TVs on." We saw the second plane hit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sep 12, 2016, 4:22 PM

I was sitting inside the Pentagon doing my job at the National Military Joint Intelligence Center, stay there till about midnight, waiting for my relief to come in.

Roads were closed in and out of DC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I stated in a post that started in the lounge yesterday....

Sep 12, 2016, 4:28 PM

I was living with my sister at the time, I had got up went downstairs to get me something to drink.
I turned on the TV to see that one of the towers had been hit by a plane. I did not think terrorism at first, but then about 20 minutes later the 2nd plane hit the other tower..

Then it hit me that this was a deliberate, coordinated attack on America.... :(

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was driving to work in Rochester, Michigan

Sep 12, 2016, 4:46 PM

with no idea what was happening. I didn't have a cell phone at that time. Had no idea what had happen until close to noon when someone came into the store and told me about it.

My friend working at another location had a TV and was on the phone with me most of the day describing what was happening.

Couldn't believe what I saw when I got home that night and watched the news. Lots of mixed emotions.

I was part of an Olympic Development group at the time, and I remember just wanting to quit and go to NYC and volunteer.

I decided against it, and decided to put on a 5K and 10k (4 weeks later) that raised about $4,200 for the Twin Towers Fund. Not a lot, but I felt better I had done something. The check was presented at the New York City Marathon Press Conference 2 days before the NYC Marathon a month later.

Like a lot of people recall, I remember how beautiful the weather was that day, and, how quite it was in the following week with no airplanes in the sky.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2016, 4:54 PM

I was stuck in traffic in downtown Atlanta. Going to conference. Since the airlines were shutdown, the conf was canceled the next day. I spend the day in the hotel watching the news.

Sep 12, 2016, 6:01 PM

I was Junior in high school. I went to a small Christian school. The principal walked in the room crying and told us about it and like everybody else you had a million things going through your mind wondering what malfunctioned or what went wrong with the plane. Then a few minutes later another teacher walked in the room and said another plane had crashed and sometime after that the pentagon had been crashed into also. I just remember having a very helpless and vulnerable feeling about our country. Like just standing there and waiting the rest of the day for somebody else to walk in and tell us 10 more planes had crashed. It was a bad feeling.

Sep 12, 2016, 6:50 PM

I was in 5th grade and remember my teacher turning on the tv. Not knowing what was going on at that age but i watched multiple docs yesterday about it and it hit me like wow!! People were so scared of burning to death they would jump from 100 stories high over wat some cowards did taking family members away.

Sep 12, 2016, 6:59 PM

I had gone deer hunting that morning, when I got back to the truck I heard about the first plane on the radio. It wasn't real to me. I got home took a shower and when I got out the second plane had hit. I stayed glued to the tv in total disbelief for the rest of the day. In fact for several days the Television stayed in continuously just in case.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2016, 7:04 PM

Taking my doberman and pug to the groomers to get their nails trimmed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

fall of my senior year at Clemson...

Sep 12, 2016, 8:33 PM

Was in my apartment about to go to class, needless to say I didn't make it... Will never forget going to TDs that night. My boy Kenyon was the DJ. The place was pretty somber all night until he played Outkast "Bombs over Baghdad". Looking back that was pretty prophetic.

Had been at current job 10 months

Sep 12, 2016, 8:37 PM

I was driving up route 1 in Lorton Virginia getting ready to turn onto pohick rd. I remember like it was yesterday. Listening to Howard Stern he said a building had been hit, A few minutes later another, he said oh my god we're under attack. Then the Pentagon, that's when it hit closer to home. My dad was a frequent visitor to the Pentagon due to his work. I pulled over and tried to contact him. No phone service, eveything was a mess. Called and called and called just rang busy. I then went back to my office and cancelled my day, went to a friends house and proceeded to stay glued to the tv. I was finally able to get a hold of my mom who didn't help things by stating "I don't know where your father is working today, I can't reach him either". It wasn't until almost 8 pm that he was able to finally reach us to tell us he was fine and had been at the Pentagon the day b4 but was at his office. My 9 year olds God mother wasn't so fortunate. Her father was at the Pentagon that day and lost his life. The horrific events of that day disintegrated his body do badly they only identified him by his wedding ring still on his finger. It was truly a terrible day.

Sep 12, 2016, 8:48 PM

I was sitting on a tugboat , docked at Yonges Island SC . We'd finished a run to Savannah with a couple of lash barges and had just returned to our company's pier on the Stono River near Meggett .
I came down stairs to get a drink of water as it was my off watch and I had been sleeping .
My deckhand had a shocked look on his face , he pointed to the tv and couldn't actually say what it was he was looking at . I , after about 30 seconds of thinking that I was looking at a film being made and how great the effects were ...slowly began to come to terms with the fact that the horrifically surreal scene we were observing was in fact actually taking place .
It was only a few minutes after that the 2nd jet hit the 2nd tower , and I was of course like the rest of us ...in disbelief . Shock . Horror . My mind raced .
It will forever be ingrained in my memory , as it will anyone else that witnessed it , lived it .

DB23

Junior year at Clemson, actually found out about it on here

Sep 12, 2016, 8:55 PM

I had a morning class and woke up late. First thing I did was turn on the computer and check TNET before heading off and saw everyone talking about it. I turned on the TV at that point and went and woke up my suite mates, sat around watching the TV all day except for an afternoon class that refused to cancel the class in which we had a quiz.

watching the second plane fly into the second tower.

Sep 12, 2016, 9:13 PM

I was living in New Orleans, so I woke up just after the first plane went in, when the announcers were still talking about how a horrible accident had occurred. There was smoke all over the New York skyline.

I was in the Marine Corps. Sitting in a conference room with 7 other young Marines

Sep 12, 2016, 10:23 PM

The 1st Sergeant came in acting very strange. He was quiet and calm. No cussing, no berating us for sitting "unprofessionally," or any other normal Marine Staff NCO attitude. He clicked on the TV. Turned up the sound and walked quietly to the back of the room. He turned off the lights and 8 fresh faced Marines stared intently at the screen. We hadn't been out of boot camp for long. So I figured it was some movie released while I was at Parris Island that was on the screen. It was kind of surreal. Then the second plane hit. We kind of figured it out. We weren't watching a movie. The C.O. came into the room. Started telling us "this means war boys. I dont know where, or when, but there will be answers for this. We're going to f----n war boys! Get your war faces on 'cause now you're gonna get some!"
He went on a little longer then told us to go home and stand by your phones. I went. Eventually they called us back to work.

I was in DC.

Sep 13, 2016, 3:59 AM

Far enough away from the Pentagon to be safe, but close enough to hear and feel the explosion.

I spent most of the day in a parking lot with complete strangers.
We shared food and water until the traffic cleared out enough to leave.

Drove past the Pentagon on the way out of town.

It was an unbelievable sight.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2016, 5:47 AM

I was volunteering in my daughters kindergarten class and Dr. Mary Norman(principle/friend) walked in and slipped me a piece of paper that said the 1st tower had been hit.

A few minutes later she passed me another note saying the school was on lockdown and another tower had been hit and she would sign my girls out if I wanted to take them home.

I got both of them and went home and not to long after arriving the 1st tower went down. I didn't tell my girls until later that day.

They were excited to be home from school and were playing like it was the best day ever, I wanted to protect them from knowing forever because the were so innocent.

Of course as a family we tried to engaged in helping all who were hurt by this tragedy.

It was a horrific day but it made me proud to be an American and see how strong we were as a country when we All stood United together to help and overcome.

In the togetherness under God, as a country, we have been blessed an I pray we will continue to to be blessed and we will all stand together against anything that tries to separate us from our freedom to be free.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I was on the 5th Fleet watchfloor in Bahrain...

Sep 13, 2016, 9:41 AM

Coming from Naval Intelligence, our family always takes time to remember those we lost on this day at Chief of Naval Operations-Intelligence Plot (CNO-IP). CNO-IP, the organization, has its roots going way back to WWII when it was established to help track German U-Boats in the Atlantic, similar to the same organization that the British created. So it is a very important in our naval intelligence history.

On September 11th, I was actually on the watch floor at 5th Fleet in Bahrain. When we realized what was actually happening after the second plane hit, the watch floor took on a renewed sense of urgency. As we got the first reports of the plane strikes at the Pentagon and seeing the terrified looks of people back in the States and the chaos, we continued to do what we were supposed to do, but there was this nagging feeling of where the plane had hit at the Pentagon. By the time I left my shift and headed to where I lived, reporting indicated it was the Army section of the Pentagon. Still horrible, but I assumed there were no Naval Intelligence presence there. So I did like many...got home and watched tv forever. I distinctly remember someone slamming there door on my floor...loudly...and it scaring the sh*t out of me...it was a horrible feeling.

The next morning I showed up with my team for my watch. During the night a list had been sent out via message I think listing losses. Then I found out CNO-IP had actually been in that section of the Pentagon and there were a list of names of those lost there...

CDR Dan Shanower - Officer-in-Charge (OIC)
LCDR Vince Tolbert - Assistant OIC
LT Jonas Panik
LT Darin Pontell
First Class Petty Officer Julian Cooper
Angela Houtz
Brady Howell

There are always stories within stories. First, Darin Pontell had been a student of mine when I was an instructor at the Navy and Marine Corps Intelligence Training Center. Darin was a good guy when there at NMITC. While I didn't know him super well, it always registers as a huge loss.

The name that was the hardest seeing was Vince Tolbert's name. Vince and I had gone through the Naval Intelligence Basic Officers Course (NIOBC) together. Vince was our leader. He was switching from Surface Warfare to Naval Intelligence and was already a LT. He was a happy guy to be around almost infectious in some way. He played college football at Fresno State where he played defensive end. I think the sense of team he had from his football and Navy days were evident because I remember Vince and his wife Shari hosting a cookout at their place for our group...another class act that showed what kind of leader he was.

After NIOBC, Vince went to the USS Constellation and I went to Chinhae, Korea for our first Naval Intelligence tours. Around Christmas of 94, I found out the Constellation was going to be pulling into Pusan, about 30 miles east of me. Timing was good as we were having our wardroom Christmas party, so I contacted him and two others from my NIOBC class on the Constellation to join me. It was a great night to spend time with Vince again and the others and try to lead by example that Vince had shared with me.
That is the great thing about Naval Intelligence...the fantastic bonds of friendship and sense of purpose like what I got from Vince. They are always there with us even in great loss.

Thanks Vince....

Sep 13, 2016, 9:46 AM

I missed HS that day and was at the doc, having my right shoulder examined after a car wreck when the towers were hit. I was at the hospital with my dying grandmother as the 2nd tower fell and continued watching throughout the day at the hospital and at home.

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Applying for a job I didn't get

Sep 13, 2016, 9:46 AM

This was deep into the Dot-Com bubble burst so no one was hiring programmers anyway. Before the interview others in the office were watching TV as first plane had hit and everyone thought just an accident.

The 2nd plane hit during my interview so I had no idea.

When I left the interview and was driving home the radio news said the tower fell. I imagined it falling over sideways rather than the actual collapse. Eager to get home, but everyone evacuating Boston so getting home took forever.

Camped out watching TV getting more depressed along with the rest of the nation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2016, 10:04 AM
911.jpg(20.9 K)

I was teaching school in northern New Jersey watching from our third floor. The kicker was watching students parents covered in soot that had walked the across the bridges to come to pick their students up. It was surreal being that close and personally knowing 9 people that died that day. I keep the picture as a reminder. Sad, sad day.

Sep 13, 2016, 10:06 AM

Can't remember honestly.

Hope that doesn't make people upset.

Enjoy life today.

Thank you all. We can never forget.

Sep 13, 2016, 11:01 AM

It is amazing to me to hear all of your stories so thank you. Would make a great book.

We come from all walks of life and yet we were all (or at least most of us!) pulled together that day.

My wife was working at the Minnesota Housing Authority that day and watched the towers fall like all of us on TV. The next day she went and enlisted in the Navy and was commissioned into the Naval Intelligence community. She planned most of the first air strikes against Iraq and did most of the attack planning with the pilots for Shock and Awe. We met on the Abe Lincoln in the Persian Gulf during the first days of the war. We were at sea for over 10 months (longest deployment by an aircraft carrier since the Korean War).

President Bush was standing 4 ft from me when he said the war was over and had his picture taken on the flight deck with "Mission Accomplished" over his shoulder. Funny story about that is that the sign was ours...Bush never saw it until he came on board. We had installed it before we left Hawaii to come home because we had done a 10 month deployment and hadn't lost one life (really rare for an AC). Most amazing thing to happen to me in my Naval career was they gave us a parade in Everett, WA when we got back. They expected 5000 people to show up and there were over 50000 that actually came.

On a flight to NYC scheduled to land at about 10:30

Sep 13, 2016, 12:24 PM

We had to land in Baltimore. We were flying over DC and pilot had just said you could get a good look at DC out the window. About 5 minutes later, the plane made an obvious u-turn, but pilot said nothing. I recall talking to the lady beside me saying something about I wonder why we are turning.

When we had turned, I looked out the window and could see a lot of smoke toward the Pentagon. It was kind of off in the distance, but again, talking to the lady, I said something about it looking like a big forest fire but there was no forest. Little did I know...

Then the plane started dropping and climbing, and you could tell everyone was getting nervous. About that time, pilot comes on and says there had been a little trouble in NYC, so we're going to land in Baltimore. Again, I look out the window and this time there is a fighter jet almost on our wing. I told the lady that was very strange... had never seen that before. Pilot was reassuring everyone there was no problems with our plane, but there was a lot of nervous chatter in the plane.

About the time we landed in Baltimore, people started using their cell phones, and you could hear various people saying there had been an explosion in NYC. And you could see the stewardess crying. We finally pulled up to the gate in Baltimore, and right when I hit the inside of the airport, I looked at the TV screen at the gate and one of the towers fell. There were three of us flying that morning from our company (we weren't sitting together). Once we were all off the plane, I told them I was making a bee line to the rental cars and they were going to get luggage.

It was chaos in the airport. It is a long (but lucky) story about how we got one of the last rental cars at the airport, and ended up giving a ride to a Delta pilot to Va Beach as we drove back to Florida. It was a scary experience...

But we got back to Tampa the next evening with our "wild" story.

That would have been way too close a call for me.

Sep 13, 2016, 1:42 PM

Lucky your flight probably didn't have max fuel on board like the flights to the west coast, or your plane could have been a prime candidate to be hijacked. But, I'm sure you have already thought of that many times since 2001.

My older brother was actually a government contractor

Sep 13, 2016, 1:46 PM

working in the Pentagon that day, but luckily we didn't know this until after the fact. He called us about 12 hours after it happened, and said that was the first chance anyone had to call out. Obviously, he was one of the lucky ones who was unhurt.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic