Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thank you Don Munson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Thank you Don Munson

Oct 7, 2016, 8:20 AM

for your obvious faith and for making statements like you did yesterday, that at 54,
"My best days are ahead of me." This infused me with more hope. Such a positive, transparent guy. That whole segment made me feel better (I'm 56).

Reminds me also that we all have to believe that the Tigers', esp. their offense, that their best days are ahead of them, starting with tonight.

I always liked the answer to the question asked of the star player, "What's your best and greatest game?" His answer: "The next one."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait. Whut?! A post about Munson that doesn't berate him?

Oct 7, 2016, 8:33 AM

Is this Tigernet???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Wait. Whut?! A post about Munson that doesn't berate him?

Oct 7, 2016, 8:52 AM

Post didn't berate him because it had nothing to do with his announcing acumen (or lack there of).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Re: Thank you Don Munson

Oct 7, 2016, 8:45 AM

He doesn't have faith in the Tigers i will tell you that much. He picked us to lose against Louisville. What a great prediction by the voice of the Tigers.

lol

Oct 7, 2016, 8:49 AM

Ridiculous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

^^^wakes up angry***

Oct 7, 2016, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Thank you Don Munson ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: ^^^wakes up angry***

Oct 7, 2016, 9:29 AM

Who me?

^^^hypothesis confirmed***

Oct 7, 2016, 12:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just don't get it. I really do not hear what others hear

Oct 7, 2016, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Thank you Don Munson ]

in his broadcasts that make them bad. I think he does a good job, if not great. Honestly though the only time I ever really listen to him is when FSS has the simulcast replays(though I have not seen those this year).

Frankly, and I know this is blasphemy, Jim Phillips really wasn't doing that good of a job in his last 4-5 years. he was always behind the play and often confused and he did not seem to have the energy he did in the 80's.

Munson may not be great...but at least he is no Todd Ellis.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I just don't get it. I really do not hear what others hear

Oct 7, 2016, 9:29 AM

He has grown on me but if i had my pick it would be Pete over Don for sure.

Oct 7, 2016, 9:41 AM

Fine person in many ways from what I understand, but also can be hard to work with. His sincere attitude toward Clemson is obvious, but Munson lacks polish. His broadcasts are not sharp. Jim Philips did make mistakes his last four/five seasons, however he or Pete Yanity were decidedly better than "Dandy Don" who can't even pronounce "carolina" correctly! He sounds like a red neck with a chew. He represents an entire university and frankly a state as well and the least he could learn is how to properly indicate where he lives!

Go Tigers!

After having grown up listening to Jim Phillips, Pete

Oct 7, 2016, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: I just don't get it. I really do not hear what others hear ]

Yannity's call was very hard for me to enjoy. Definitely did not have a radio play by play voice. Plus, the "Orange in the endzone" line drove me crazy, again, after over 30 years of listening to Jim Phillips.

Jim Phillips was far from perfect regarding specific details like down and distance, but he had a voice that was meant for play by play, and his big play enthusiasm seemed genuine. I never felt that with Pete.

I understand people who were more familiar with Pete's call being most comfortable with him. However in my opinion, having listened to Phillips for 30 years before Yannity, Don's voice is much better than Pete's, and is easier for me to listen and enjoy the call of the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed***

Oct 7, 2016, 9:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If I'm being 100% honest, go listen to Gene Deckerhoff of

Oct 7, 2016, 10:16 AM [ in reply to I just don't get it. I really do not hear what others hear ]

FSU or Eli Gold of Alabama. If you can't hear the difference there, then we'll just agree to disagree. There are many other options out there, but those two popped into mind immediately for me. Obviously I could reference some older people, but those are elite football programs and their broadcasts are incredible. Don Munson sounds like he might should be at the Furman level.

What makes it worse for me is the fact that I heard we could've had Wes Durham, who is light years better than Munson IMO.

Also, you have to consider who you're comparing him to. Whether or not Phillips went downhill his last few years, he was still better than Munson because his voice was that good. But in no way, shape, or form should you compare any play-by-play guy to Todd Ellis. It seems to me as if Clemson and South Carolina are in the running for having some of the worst play-by-play guys.

Re: If I'm being 100% honest, go listen to Gene Deckerhoff of

Oct 7, 2016, 11:13 AM

Exactly. Personally I'm sure Munson is a fine fella, loves Clemson and is doing his best. It's just that Clemson deserves better.

Wes Durham is great. Didn't realize his name was ever in contention. "It's 3rd and Walhalla."

Striperfan (JP's son) might wanna body slam you.***

Oct 7, 2016, 10:16 AM [ in reply to I just don't get it. I really do not hear what others hear ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"1st and 10 the QB takes the snap, hands off to the back...

Oct 7, 2016, 12:28 PM [ in reply to I just don't get it. I really do not hear what others hear ]

AHH! HIT IN THE BACKFIELD FOR A LOSS!! AHGGGHHHHHH!!! That's a gain of 4, Tommy. 2nd down and 6."

And who can forget the classic:

TOUCHDOWN CLEMSON!

-Todd Ellis, ambulance chaser, has-been average college athlete, overweight FRAUD.

Oct 7, 2016, 12:44 PM [ in reply to I just don't get it. I really do not hear what others hear ]

Luckily, I've only had to listen to him a handful of times. My problem with him is he struggles to explain the play as it unfolds. He's more worried about spitting out some players name than actually telling you how far he's going. Example: Gallman takes the pitch, cuts it to the outside, is hit by some guy I can't remember how to pronounce so I struggle with it for a long while, and and by the way Gallman gained 20 yards on the run.

@Don_Munson

Oct 7, 2016, 9:23 AM

Don_Munson

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Barely anyone listens to the radio so the AD did a smart thing by putting Munson on

Oct 7, 2016, 10:26 AM

and canning Pete. It basically opened up a salary since Don was already working there and is doing it on the cheap. It actually would be smarter to scrap the position all together and just let a volunteer do it every week. Just walk around tailgates before the game and see if anyone wants to call the game.

Way more people listen than you think.***

Oct 7, 2016, 12:31 PM

I am one who enjoys hearing Don call a game, and many times

Oct 7, 2016, 10:57 AM

will mute TV sound, and listen to Don instead. His call is always ahead of TV, but that's OK.
I guess there's a story behind the story, because I just don't get the vitriol concerning him.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I miss Jim Phillips! Tiger radio never the same *******

Oct 7, 2016, 10:59 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What? You mean they still broadcast the games on RADIO?

Oct 7, 2016, 12:36 PM

How quaint...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was one who always stuck beside Don

Oct 7, 2016, 12:57 PM

He was hard to listen to at first but has gotten better each year. I listened to him Saturday night because i couldn't handle watching it and you can tell he has alot of enthusiasm for Clemson football. I still like Pete Yanity and Will Merritt better but Don is starting to grow on me

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic