Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thank god O'Brien is out. He ran the Texans into the ground
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Thank god O'Brien is out. He ran the Texans into the ground

Oct 5, 2020, 5:10 PM

Texans are spending more than any other team in the NFL on their roster this season ($255M)...

They owe their 1st & 2nd round picks in 2021 to the Dolphins....

They are giving up more rushing yards than anyone in the league (180 yards per game) and have yet to force a turnover this season.

They are 0-4.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank god O'Brien is out. He ran the Texans into the ground

Oct 5, 2020, 5:17 PM

Terrible doesn't even begin the dumpster fire he created.

Sadly, they are are going to have to unload some players & contracts, burn it to the ground, and rebuild from almost scratch to have semblance of a competitive team in the next 2-3 years.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think he was put there, in that position, on purpose by an opposing teams.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 5:19 PM

They were going to fire the OL too but discovered there isnt one

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 5:24 PM

Yeah , happy for Watson for sure!

Only downside I can see the falcons will probably hire him after they fire dan Quinn next week!! ???????

Smh!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2020, 5:30 PM

Year too late. Should have fired before he got rid of Nuk and gave away all the draft picks. Hopefully they hire Watson a coach that can turn it around.

Hands off Dabo!!

Oct 6, 2020, 9:06 AM

Nuk was going to be gone regardless. He had 3 years left on his deal, but he was prepared to sit out if he didn't get a new contract. In fact, the Cardinals turned around and gave him the new deal he wanted not long after they traded for him. Their roster was already a mess along with a lack of draft picks, and no way could they afford the new deals for both Watson and Nuk. The reason they got so little in return for him was because only teams with QB's on a rookie contract could afford what Nuk was asking for.

He certainly made a great deal of other poor decisions though. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a team with such a lack of young talent that also has such a lack of upcoming draft picks. I actually don't think he's a terrible head coach, but he was certainly in way over his head as a GM.

Oct 5, 2020, 5:39 PM

Should have traded JJ Watt years ago, gotten a 1st for Jadeveon, gotten a 1st or not traded Nuk, etc etc etc

Deshaun's career may be gone if he's stuck in Houston because not only did BOb screw the present, he screwed the future. Houston will have to trade Deshaun for several 1st's to get right. DW4 to Dallas? to New England? to San Fran? to Browns? to Falcons? to Panthers? it's all possible ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2020, 9:59 AM

DW4 to Pittsburgh !
Ben is over and out after this year ...he could return the Steel City to football glory and reset the Super Bowl ticker that New England has temporarily tied .

DB23

BOB is a terrible coach and an even worse GM***

Oct 5, 2020, 5:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: BOB is a terrible coach and an even worse GM***

Oct 6, 2020, 2:09 AM

Yes

I agree. Been screaming it for years.

Oct 6, 2020, 2:28 AM

Unfortunately they didn’t get rid of him before he destroyed the roster and draft picks.

I’d like to see someone bring in a QB friendly system like the Chiefs are running. It would allow DW4 do more with less until they can get some talent back on the roster.

Top priorities: fix the OL and secondary

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. Been screaming it for years.

Oct 6, 2020, 9:11 AM

I think the OC for Kansas City, Eric Bieniemy would be one of the first calls I'd make.

A little late though...

Oct 6, 2020, 5:22 AM

Dumped all assets, save for DW; B-OB gutted the place. He got ephed out of their valuble draft assets by paying 4x value for a good to decent LT(get dinged up too much) then overpaid for him again when BOB signed him to a long term contract. Thing is the Texans cut their own Pro Bowl LT, Duane Brown, at the beginning of DW's rookie season, b/c they didn't want to pay him. He was signed by Seatle & has since made the PB team at least once.
Gave away major player asset, All-Pro wr DH; in return received a salary cap dump? RB whose coming off 2 major injuries, past his prime, & a bad cap hit- this move reaks of sabotage-BOB should be on the both the Cardinal's & Dolphins payroll-No early round picks, an aging D, got a dynamic top 5 NFL QB but very little around him, DW is young but he has taken a beating during his time as a Texan?Thanks BOB

Oct 6, 2020, 6:53 AM

That would be "thank God"

Oct 6, 2020, 8:33 AM

O'Brien is one of those former college coaches who never learned or were capable of the man management skills you need to coach NFL players. College players are teenagers who stay in line because the head coach holds their fate and careers in his hands. NFL players are grown well paid men who will tell the head coach to shove it if the coach is an idiot.

NFL lifers who become head coaches coach like their careers depend on it, because they do; they may suck, but they are doing the best they can, and if they are fired they may never get another chance. Some diva college head coaches get to the pros, big time their players and make stupid decisions knowing if they flame out they can always go back to college. Spurrier, Chump Kelly, and O'Brien come to mind. Saban, Petrino, Holtz all went scurrying back to college in a year or less after they got found out in the NFL. Even Jim Harbaugh went back to college because he hated being constrained by management and his players. His brother was a lowly special teams assistant coach under Andy Reid who learned how to deal with NFL players under the master, and he's done OK with the Ravens.

Jimmy Johnson is the exception to these rules, because he already treated his players at Miami like they were men.

O'Brien was also believed to be NFL ready because he was an assistant with the Patriots and worked with Tom Brady for a time. Belichick's assistants have to a man washed out as head coaches in the NFL.

Oct 6, 2020, 8:55 AM

Actually, I think the NFL and the College game have diverged since the 90s. The skillset needed for either job has radically changed. The "management" has shifted away from motivation in the NFL to managing health/resources... which isn't really a big issue with a college team. You are right, you are a guidance councilor for a college team, meanwhile a human resources director for a pro team.

You even had Bobby Ross make a successful jump (IMO).

I don't think O'Brien is a failure either. 5 of 7 winning seasons, above .500. He will get another gig. However, it is all about expectations. Houston expected better, especially with a primere QB. Still about another 15 teams would love to be a 10-6 level team and win 4 of the last divisions. Just ask the NFC East.

My question is this: Is Houston tanking for Trevor?

Oct 6, 2020, 9:15 AM

He'll get another shot as a head coach IMO. His biggest weakness was as a GM, and I highly doubt he gets another chance to do that.

Oct 6, 2020, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Thank god O'Brien is out. He ran the Texans into the ground ]

They don't have a first round draft choice in 2021.

Or a second rounder. That is how bad off GM BOB left the Texans.

He has already done enough damage that DW4's career may be

Oct 6, 2020, 8:52 AM

OVER before they regain enough ground to be competitive again.

When you have a Huge current payroll, AND not many upcoming draft choices, you are truly screwed.

Watson is a very smart young man. I already see the writing on the wall that he will have to restructure the huge contract he just signed for Houston to free up capital to go after any useful free agents.

And, that is the only avenue open to them, since BOB traded away the frigging draft.

What a mess.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AMEN!! The day he fired Nuk he shouldve been canned that

Oct 6, 2020, 8:53 AM

very day!! What an idiot!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has to be just about the #1 worst trade in NFL history.

Oct 6, 2020, 8:59 AM

I doubt siriusly if that RB will even be with Houston next year. I guarantee you, every time a teammate looks at him, and thinks of Nuk being gone, they wish HE was gone too.

Oct 6, 2020, 9:01 AM

The damage is done.

Best thing for Deshaun is to have a QB needy team with a good OL and lots of cap space trade for him.

Any come to mind?

This is why you don't let coaches serve as GM

Oct 6, 2020, 11:51 AM

It works for the Patriots because Bill Belichick is a genius.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic