Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Texas recruiting expert weighs in on ACC expansion talks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,572

Texas recruiting expert weighs in on ACC expansion talks

May 22, 2012, 12:34 PM

Bobby Burton is someone that has been in the recruiting/football world for decades and runs the 247Sports Texas site. Here's what his sources are telling him as of this morning as it relates to conference expansion:

While Florida State and Clemson would be "attractive" additions to the conference, there is little question that Notre Dame is considered the key piece to the equation, according to a well-placed Texas source familiar with the continually evolving discussions.

"Florida State and Clemson, as good as they are, would not be accretive (financially) to the conference," the source said. "Adding them would not change the money for the other members, at least not significantly."

Other media sources have said the additions of Clemson and Florida State would increase conference payouts, so that might be a point of contention in negotiations involving the addition of teams. But, again, the Irish fall under a different category.

"Notre Dame is different," the source said. "That's why (Notre Dame's) Olympic sports make sense as long as there's some side agreement with football."

According to the source, just partial involvement from Notre Dame on a four-game, home-away rotational basis with the Big 12 changes the money for every team in the conference.

"Some very important media people believe that two away games, if they are the right two, from Notre Dame are worth more than everybody else's home games in the Big 12 except Texas and Oklahoma or when the other teams (in the Big 12) are playing Texas and Oklahoma. That's the general line of thinking."

Of course, the Irish have no real impetus to move its football program to a conference at this time.

Only a mid-June meeting concerning the future of college football's post-season could push Notre Dame into a conference full-time so the Irish can contest for a football national championship.

While Florida State, Clemson and perhaps other ACC schools want to change conference affiliations so they can control or pool their tier 3 football rights for larger money than the recently negotiated ACC deal, it's still a wait-and-see proposition on whether or not they move to the Big 12, according to the source.

"I'm telling you, (Texas) likes Florida State and Clemson. Texas likes Georgia Tech, Maryland and Pittsburgh. They like Louisville. The issue is this meeting (in June) and where that puts Notre Dame," the source said.

Could there be an announcement of FSU and Clemson joining the Big 12 prior to that meeting?

As we mentioned yesterday, Notre Dame continues to be the wild card in conference realignment and the University of Texas, particularly athletic director Deloss Dodds who has been called "the driving force" behind the play for Notre Dame, appears dead-set on making the Irish the top priority in its plans for the future of the Big 12. "It's always possible. FSU and Clemson are attractive (programs), but I don't see it as of this morning," the source said.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

24/7...enough said...LOLOLOL***

May 22, 2012, 12:38 PM

misinformed...

May 22, 2012, 12:41 PM

FSU and ND are not tied at all

Clem and FSU are already gone

ND would be a huge catch

ND has no bearing on Clem/FSU joining

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: misinformed...

May 22, 2012, 12:43 PM

when are announcements expected? Thought something was coming today regarding intent to explore options?

I have no idea... I've always said after Big XII meetings

May 22, 2012, 12:46 PM

in June/July...

That "intent to explore" was reported on an FSU website yesterday.

I personally don't believe it will make it till the end of June. There is too much stuff leaking now.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Wow...searched high and low for that did you...lol

May 22, 2012, 12:45 PM

Go back to FGF please. We have enough sources and experts and don't need another.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Texas recruiting expert weighs in on ACC expansion talks

May 22, 2012, 12:46 PM

Hey look the obsessed Chicken is researching stories about his rival.

What an obsessed ###### bag.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Texas recruiting expert weighs in on ACC expansion talks

May 22, 2012, 12:47 PM

I was going to comment yesterday how the Big 12 talk has silenced the coots......seriously

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adding TV markets in Fla. & the Carolinas / Ga. woul be

May 22, 2012, 12:53 PM

"accretive".

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,572
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic