Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Texas A&M will likely crack the top 10 next week
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,826

Texas A&M will likely crack the top 10 next week

Aug 30, 2019, 10:55 PM

Setting up a top 10 matchup in the valley. My question is does anyone really believe Texas A&M is a top 10 team?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Texas A&M will likely crack the top 10 next week

Aug 30, 2019, 11:03 PM

I believe they are top-10.

Other than the consensus top-5 (which most seem to agree on), who is better than TAMU?

Aug 30, 2019, 11:52 PM

"Intangibly"... Yes, it would be fair to put us in the Top 10 this early in the season. Good coaching, raw and sometimes well-developed talent across the board, we recruit well, not too shabby a season last year - even in a coaching change, beat LSU to end the season on a high note, had our chance vs the eventual National Title team, etc...

"On Paper"... Nope. Would feel better if we were between 20 and 15 for now. Too many new guys starting.

My sense is if they put us in the Top 10, it will be more for ratings than fundamentals this early in the season. Aggies are a rabid base and draw anyway, as does Clemson. So not sure they really need to for ratings, but it does look better in the TV Guide and ESPN tag lines...

That said, who knows, we could have a whale of an Aggie team ripe for upsetting someone we "shouldn't" on our hands if the young guys are really ready for prime time. But on average with the history of young teams, and with the schedule we have this year, not holding my breath...

@ Clemson
@ Georgia
@ LSU

But fortunately... lol... we get Bama at home... cough cough...

Aug 31, 2019, 12:34 AM

I appreciate your level-headed-ness for your team, but my point is, are there really grounds for saying anyone ELSE is better than TAMU (other than the top 5)?

For me, certainly not Florida, not Michigan, LSU is a wash, and not really Texas or ND either, IMO.

I'd be fine with TAMU at like 7 or 8.

BTW, I loved visiting College Station in 2004 and last year. Great fans, fun bars, good food.

Aug 31, 2019, 10:28 AM

Thanks, Aggies, for the most part, are a level-headed bunch. Online, you get some of the gomers, but in the tangible world, we know what success and not-quite successful means.

Appreciate the sentiment. I think we'd agree that rankings tend to be trash anyway until around week 3 or 4. So, yea, crap shoot us into the Top 10 if you wanna. Our game will tell us 20x more about our team than our opener. Though, as per my comments in other threads, I think we at least can directionally say our team is "Good" from the opener. Just how good.... ??

I'm the type that would rather our players know they've been placed at say #17 and want to earn their way up, than placed in the Top 10. Though I dont think complacency will be a problem under Jimbo. We'll see...

Aug 31, 2019, 12:38 AM

The answer to that question lies at the end of the second half in DV next weekend .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 31, 2019, 9:00 AM

I think so, at least as much claim as anyone else based on talent. pretty much the entire college football world knows A&M will have a better team this year, but possibly same or worse record due to the road schedule @ Clemson Georgia LSU and home vs Auburn and Bama.

So if youre voting based on projected record, I could see how you would not say Top 10. For hype next week, would be good for both of us if we are there.

Aug 31, 2019, 9:15 AM

I'll buy the argument that they could be deserving, especially considering Florida definitely is not. The problem is that there is nobody that they will likely jump that is in the Top 10. If Oregon beats Auburn, I don't think they move up at all in the AP and I think they lose a spot in the Coach's poll.

Aug 31, 2019, 9:55 AM

yeah, i didnt even see who was playing. not likey to jump anyone who wins. id rather be twelve than any other number this week-all Aggies LOVE 12!!!!

Aug 31, 2019, 10:02 AM

It’s hard to say with TAMU. I tend to believe that they are just outside of the top 10. They are good enough to be the 2nd best team in their division though. Which is saying a lot for Jimbo in year two. I love what he’s doing there.

Aug 31, 2019, 10:17 AM

well, we did get 2nd last year in Jimbo’s FIRST year. He told the team in locker room after LSU game “this is the last time we will ever celebrate cing in second!”

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,826
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic