Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Texas A&M Observations
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1,703

Texas A&M Observations

Sep 9, 2018, 7:23 PM

After watching the game again, I have to say that we're extremely lucky to have escaped with a win. I have a few opinions to share that will bring comfort. However, some of my opinions may not be so welcomed. I'll just share my two cents for what its worth.

Coaching: Clemson's coaching staff was overjoyed during the post game. After watching the game again, I determined that our play calling was still extremely vanilla. Which would explain why our coaches were so happy. We lined up and played basic pitch and catch in College Station and left with a win. We beat the odds last night without opening the playbook. After all, there wasn't really enough film material to piece together a solid game plan. Every other opponent on our schedule minus Georgia Southern will provide ample material for us to plan against. That's where Coach V and the Co-Coordinators on offense really make their money.

PROS: We won and did it without revealing much of our team identity.

CONS: At times Clemson still looks like a team trying to discover it's offensive identity. I blame the current two QB system, and it doesn't appear as if things will get better until Coach Swinney names an official starter. Someone has to take the reigns and take practice reps with the starters. The way we are doing it now greatly interrupts cohesion, continuity, and fluidity of the offensive unit. We won't be able to get into a rhythm or flow without those three factors of offensive production. The lack of depth in our secondary was extremely evident as well. Our second team guys need to grow up and in a hurry back there or else someone will expose us.

SIDE NOTE: I'm fully aware that Coach Swinney desires to play just about everyone on the team. He wants to build depth without over signing classes every year the way Coach Saban does. In reality, Coach Swinney is taking a huge gamble on whether or not it will work. In my opinion, Coach Swinney needs to use easier opponents to build depth instead of playing young guys during tough matchups away from home.

OUR OPPONENT: There's a lot to be said about Texas A&M. One of them being that they're grossly underrated right now. If you look at their recruiting record for the previous five cycles, they're recruiting TOP 10 Classes every year. Jimbo was hired because the previous two head coaches underachieved with the talent they were recruiting. Give Jimbo a year or two and he will have them rocking and rolling at College Station. Texas is a state with talent rich players all over the map. He will have no problems recruiting against Alabama and Oklahoma. Jimbo started losing his football empire in Florida after Clemson starting winning the recruiting battles against him in the South East. Unlike the previous two coaches at Texas A&M, Jimbo can coach and is very dangerous when he has a talented roster. Again, we played vanilla and still escaped with a win against an unknown opponent. That should comfort most and scare the heck out of our upcoming opponents. Then again, many will only view that game at face value. I think they can probably beat Alabama. Alabama struggles against mobile QBs that can extend drives. If Texas A&M can contain Tua and shut down the run it will be a long night for Coach Saban.

Historical Comparison: In 2016, Clemson had a struggle win very similar to last night's win. It was against Auburn in Jordan Hare Stadium. Again, the Coaches were super excited after the game and it was for the same reason. We won against a premier opponent while playing a great deal of the roster and calling vanilla plays. Those coaches know we have something special this season. I can also recall a close game against Troy. We played horrible and still managed to squeeze out a win in Death Valley. Troy a mere season later beat the snot out of LSU. Just keep in mind that this is Game Two and our coaches will continue to install the playbook and build QUALITY depth throughout the season.

Season Outlook: I've said it before, BC will be our staunchest opponent during regular season matchups, and if we win against them we will not take a loss this season. VT looks to be on par with playing for the ACC Championship. However, they are run strong and run 90% of the time. Our defense will be just fine against them. Should be an easy win for the Tigers. Should we remain, #2 or even #1 we will not face Alabama during the first round of the playoffs. Clemson will have built quality depth and installed most of the playbook by that time. We should also have a clear front runner for the QB position by then and have our offense flowing. Alabama has a great starting lineup, but they're showing issues with their second team players. They're very raw right now and will face an experienced Clemson team should we face them in the post season. We also have one additional layer of depth across the board to showcase against them. Our depth will show up for that game and we should win another close one.

Well Tigers, that's all I have for now and welcome any opinions in contrast to what I've said even if they disagree.

GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

I hope you are right for a change***

Sep 9, 2018, 7:29 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1,703
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic