Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Team used to get a penalty when crowd was too loud
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Team used to get a penalty when crowd was too loud

Sep 26, 2013, 2:47 AM

How lame was that? Political correctness gone haywire. What years was that a penalty?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My recollection is mid-80s.

Sep 26, 2013, 4:24 AM

The VT game in 1980 was my most prevalent memory of the crowd winning us the game by causing a penalty when Tech was at the 1or 2 yard line and the noise caused an illegal motion penalty (i think). Late 4th qtr. maybe a 13-10 game. Befor the North Upper Deck.
Afterward and over a few years, penalties were imposed (or timeouts).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was an option for officials but how mant times was it

Sep 26, 2013, 6:00 AM

actually called nation wide? Very few.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was an option for officials but how mant times was it

Sep 26, 2013, 6:04 AM

Word is that Johnny Evans (NC State QB) backed away from center because of Clemson crowd noise, in Raleigh. Can someone confirm this?

WT

Yes. I was there.***

Sep 26, 2013, 7:49 AM

Re: It was an option for officials but how mant times was it

Sep 26, 2013, 7:53 AM [ in reply to Re: It was an option for officials but how mant times was it ]

I remember listening to this game on the radio (prior to ESPN) and it was incredible that the Clemson crowd was louder than the home crowd. I believe the NC State quarterback backed off the ball more than once because of crowd noise during that game

Re: Team used to get a penalty when crowd was too loud

Sep 26, 2013, 7:07 AM

I can confirm the NCSU game in Raleigh because I was there because I was a cheerleader. It was 1978. NCSU was driving toward the end of the field where all the Clemson fans were. The score didn't end up being that close but my recollection is that it was still in doubt at that point. I have no recollection who the NCSU quarterback was, but he backed off and looked to the ref, who pointed him back toward the center, which was the signal to continue playing. But it definitely did happen.

The crowd noise rule was the result of Bill Dooley's incessant whining about crowd noise at Clemson. Although he coached at both UNC and VT, he was at VT when this all happened.

In 1978 VT played at Clemson and Dooley refused to let his team come out of the tunnel to start the game until Clemson came down the hill. I was at the top of the hill waiting to fire the cannon and looked at Coach Pell, as I always did, to get permission to fire. He looked at me and shook his head "no". The crowd got louder and louder and Dooley still refused to come out. I looked at Pell and he shook his head "no". It was a complete Mexican standoff for about a minute or so, with the fans getting louder by the second. Dooley finally gave in and VT came onto the field. Only then did Pell nod his head and give me permission to fire the cannon. The stadium almost exploded at the seams.

here's an article that references this

Sep 26, 2013, 8:26 AM

http://www.goupstate.com/article/19921031/NEWS/210310305

"The thing I remember the most about going against Clemson was when we played down there at Death Valley (when he was with Virginia Tech in 1980) and it led to college football putting in a new rule on crowd noise," Dooley said. "Every time we went under center the Clemson people would roar. It was very disconcerting. So they put in a rule after that. Some people called it the `Bill Dooley rule."'

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic