Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tariffs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Tariffs

Aug 22, 2018, 12:46 PM

John Oliver's show this Sunday focused on Trump's tariff strategies, and his seeming lack of knowledge about basic global trade economics. It's, uh...you should watch it. The strategy for the trade war with China appears to be based entirely on White House economic adviser Peter Navarro, with whom essentially no economists agree, domestic or foreign. Who the shit is Peter Navarro, you ask? Jared Kushner found him by looking on Amazon for authors on China trade policy. And then gave him a job. Not even kidding.

This should bother people, even after you get the "John Oliver, LOL" out of your system.

http://time.com/5371469/john-oliver-last-week-tonight-trade/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, which economists disagree with him

Aug 22, 2018, 12:48 PM

I'm gonna need all the names and a brief description of why they disagree rather than this blankeet assertion from some Englishman.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All of them. Literally a consensus this is bad economics***

Aug 22, 2018, 12:49 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, BUT, which ones...

Aug 22, 2018, 12:53 PM

if you just say all of them then I can't really get a sense of which ones and how smart they are compared to other economists. I need to know which ones, by name, and with a brief description of the idea they support.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd like to see opinions of those economist that graduated

Aug 22, 2018, 12:55 PM

from Trump University.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, you can start with Daniel K Benjamin

Aug 22, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Yes, BUT, which ones... ]

Senior economic professor at Clemson University.

The reason I say EVERY competent economist is because this tariff concept is taught in ECON 102 at Clemson University. This is freshman level economics.

It doesn't even take an econ UNDERGRAD to understand that tariffs are paid for by the country's own citizens at their detriment. It's basic economic theory taught at every accredited Economic program in the USA.

Look, now this is getting ridiculous...

Aug 22, 2018, 2:46 PM

We started off saying EVERY economist in the whole world, and now we're relying on UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS opinions?

Good Day Sir!

No, I'm saying that the Economic theory behind tariffs is so basic

Aug 23, 2018, 4:09 PM

That you needn't be a professional to understand.

This is the equivalent of insisting that you need a professional mathematician to explain to you that A^2 + B^2 = C^2.

There is a consensus among all mathematicians that the mathematical theory behind the Pythagorean theorem is correct. Just like there is a consensus among all economics that tariffs are paid for by the citizens of the country that imposes import tariffs.

Wait, now you are saying the

Aug 23, 2018, 4:21 PM

Pythagorean theorem proves that Tariffs don't work? I thought my question was pretty simple, WHICH economists? Anyone can just say all of them say this.

I could say all lawyers say the constitution protects the right to trial by jury, but that doesn't make it true.

Re: Wait, now you are saying the

Aug 23, 2018, 7:24 PM

Pythagorean theorem proves that Tariffs don't work? I thought my question was pretty simple, WHICH economists? Anyone can just say all of them say this.

I could say all lawyers say the constitution protects the right to trial by jury, but that doesn't make it true.

Actually that is true, the constitution does protect the right to trial by jury...6th amendment.

It's obvious your head is stuck in the sand on this issue

Aug 24, 2018, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Wait, now you are saying the ]

Good day.

That's pretty much what I've come to expect on here

Aug 24, 2018, 9:20 AM

someone says something they can't back up and then runs away when asked for proof. Whatever.

You can always find outliers among any population,

Aug 24, 2018, 9:31 AM

but it is accurate to say that as a whole, the vast majority of economists disagree with using tariffs for the purpose that Trump is using them.

I get that you're trying to play devil's advocate here, but you're approaching IE levels of pettiness to make your point.

Re: You can always find outliers among any population,

Aug 24, 2018, 9:36 AM

Uhhhhhhh...

Aug 24, 2018, 9:37 AM [ in reply to You can always find outliers among any population, ]

so this started as a joke making fun of the thread the other day full of, "Yes, but what exact law did Trump break." Then when someone took me seriously, I decided to kind of run with the troll.

I would have thought that a lawyer pretending the 6th and 7th amendments did not exist would have been the nail in the coffin.

Well consider me whooshed***

Aug 24, 2018, 9:37 AM

No, that's what someone says when

Aug 29, 2018, 3:33 PM [ in reply to That's pretty much what I've come to expect on here ]

someone is intentionally missing his point because he doesn't like the truth. You can't argue with a brick wall.

Does Clemson even have an Econ 102 class?***

Aug 23, 2018, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Well, you can start with Daniel K Benjamin ]

I think they call it Econ 211, now

Aug 24, 2018, 8:39 AM

It's changed a lot since I got my degree

211 is micro and 212 is macro since the dawn of time***

Aug 29, 2018, 3:51 PM

Most economist swore all we'd ever have was 2% growth...

Aug 22, 2018, 1:17 PM

if Trump was elected. That doesn't include the ones who called for a total collapse of the world economy during the campaign.

For anyone asking who is Navarro, he's a Harvard PHD who teaches at U of Cal Irvine.

Seems like Trump liked what he read.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't stand that ######

Aug 22, 2018, 2:52 PM

But I'll say this about trade economics:

If you're charging the US 20% on a US import and the US charges you 4% for the identical goods. Then let's pretend you and the US can't agree to terms and there's a stalemate. Then (in real life), the US cuts its top corporate tax rate to 21% and eliminates thousands of burdensome regulations that have historically hurt companies and stifle growth. Suddenly the business climate in the US is more attractive than that in your own country. Where would you think the most advantageous location would now be to participate in the US market? Trumps a ####### genius. But hey, let's all cry about illegal aliens separated at our border.

https://imgur.com/a/lrLvU2l

Couple things. 1) can anyone explain specifically

Aug 23, 2018, 4:48 PM

What China’s tariff structure is relative to the US?

I keep hearing from Trump that they need to play fair. What are the specifics? Did they have high tariffs on US goods? If so, it’s pretty obvious to me that a NYC real estate guy would basically just try to turn the screws on them until he got a concession.

2) I am SO glad to see that we are ALL free trade advocates now.

null

Re: Tariffs

Aug 23, 2018, 7:22 PM

Oh yeah? Well, Hillary gave all our uranium to the Russians!

Re: Tariffs

Aug 24, 2018, 8:54 AM

It’s a negotiating tool not a long term economic strategy. We are the most powerful county in the world... we need to act like it especially if we’re going to give away as much money as we do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic