Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Targeting: The End of Football Begins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Targeting: The End of Football Begins

Dec 5, 2015, 9:51 PM

This targeting call completely encapsulates the decline in the fierceness, competitiveness, physicality, etc. of the game of football. Fast forward 20 years, and the game will be borderline unrecognizable. Clearly Greene was preparing to lead his right shoulder right through the latitude of Switzers numbers, and it was Switzers lagging composure with the ball that resulted in him leaning into a vulnerable, helmet-forward position, causing incidental first contact of helmets instead of pads. I am appalled at the call, and I really feel for TJ, who was working hard to do a good job on Switzer.

It's been fun to know the game of traditional football, but make no mistake, it is washing out with the tide…

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Re: Targeting: The End of Football Begins

Dec 5, 2015, 9:53 PM

How will they ever agree on the clasp mechanism when they finally finish turning it into flag football?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2015, 9:56 PM

velcro man velcro

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A freaking men***

Dec 5, 2015, 9:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dec 5, 2015, 9:55 PM

Pretty soon tackling will be a penalty.

Dec 5, 2015, 10:01 PM

I'm donating to your presidential fund!

"I shot a werewolf once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor?s dog"

Chuck Norris' calendar goes from March 31st to April 2nd, no one fools Chuck!
MCHammer found out the hard way, Chuck Norris can touch it!

"Brasky's family crest is a picture of a barracuda eating Neil Armstrong."

"My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. Every now and then she stops to breathe."

Does that mean we lose Green for

Dec 5, 2015, 10:03 PM

first half of the semi-finals or is this punishment it?

Re: Does that mean we lose Green for

Dec 5, 2015, 10:30 PM

Rules are first half of next game. I guess it's no TJ for first half of semis, but he'll be thumpin skulls for the subsequent 3 halves, though...

Fight, Tigers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

This is incorrect.

Dec 5, 2015, 11:02 PM

The suspension only carries over to the next game if the foul occurs in the second half.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is incorrect.

Dec 6, 2015, 12:14 AM

Ok thanks for the clarification - guess that means Greene thumps skulls all the way to 15-0

Rough finish, but glorious win out there. Champs wear orange.

GO TIGERS

Dec 5, 2015, 10:09 PM

This issue has got to be addressed. If the other player crouches down like the receiver did then defender can't slow their momentum and they are going to hit them like that. He's aiming for the number on his chest and the player crouched down. I guess defensive coaches need to start getting players to do that on every catch they see/feel a defender coming

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

This issue has got to be addressed. If the other player crouches down like the receiver did then defender can't slow their momentum and they are going to hit them like that. He's aiming for the number on his chest and the player crouched down. I guess defensive coaches need to start getting players to do that on every catch they see/feel a defender coming

Sorry I don't have a clue what my iPhone just did

Dec 5, 2015, 10:11 PM

Nm

Dec 5, 2015, 10:23 PM

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/targeting-penalties-remain-roughly-same-last-year

Even this targeting-sympathetic article stresses that it is the role of the booth review to establish "intent" when scrutinizing H2H contact and seeing through incidental "cr. Abysma

GO TIGERS

Dec 5, 2015, 10:25 PM

***incidental "crouching". Abysmal failure on both accounts by this review unit today. Makes you wonder if the new concussion movie with Will Smith is inflating the spirit of urgency to "protect" players beyond the actual, ex

GO TIGERS

Dec 5, 2015, 10:26 PM

***explicit roles and expectations for officiating crews. I'm still boiling.

And sorry for the weird

GO TIGERS

Dec 5, 2015, 10:27 PM

Phone thing...geez...

GO TIGERS

Switzer was bobbling the ball

Dec 5, 2015, 11:00 PM

Does that affect the targeting call? Because wouldn't that make it a free ball, and Green had as much right to go for it as Switzer?

Dec 5, 2015, 11:28 PM

...and I may get some pushback for this opinion, but as nasty and borderline as the targeting no-call on Watson was, I'm more ok with that no-call than with the nanny-ref abuse-of-power call on Greene. In my view, Watson was a forward progressing ball carrier, and that cornerback made a great hustle play to get to him in a hurry. You're runnin the ball, you're fair game for defenders.

The difference is the punt returner garbage. The returner has the most gleaming, golden get-out-of-jail-free option in all of football - the fair catch. The fact that you penalize Greene for his great position on a no-fair-catch returner is inexcusable to me. Switzer elected not to spare himself, end of discussion.

GO TIGERS

Dec 5, 2015, 11:31 PM

Well said. He knew what was coming and chose no fair catch call. Defensive player never wins that as a no call though. Sucks.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic