Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
hey grandpaw, what's for supper?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 400

hey grandpaw, what's for supper?

May 18, 2019, 6:31 PM

here is pulled pork, 9.5 lb butt on smoker all day. Coal slaw, microwaved corn on the cob. Margaritas to wash it down.

Knot used to the heat and humidity yet. It rilly cranked up today here. ready to chill.

Whatayahavin'?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shrimp, sausage, peppers, tomato’s, onions

May 18, 2019, 6:36 PM

Stir grilled
Tequila

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cooked all week for a crowd while on vacation.

May 18, 2019, 6:37 PM

Wife has agreed to pick up dinner so it’s undecided at this point. But it will be good and the only work involved for me is drinking beer and lifting the food to my fat face.

Pulled pork sounds good though. Enjoy!

Probably not much

May 18, 2019, 6:39 PM

Still full from the bbq competition.

I’ll probably finish off the Gem & Juice and maybe some popcorn

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

in laws were here - steak and salmon, tater salad, salad

May 18, 2019, 6:54 PM

salad, French bread, chocolate cake for dessert.

Celebrating 2nd daughter's dance recital.

End of school year stuff. It don't end until next week.

4 kids.

Ts&Ps much appreciated.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dang fine meal there.

May 18, 2019, 7:18 PM

and yes I remember all those "proud parent and grandparent" opportunities at school year end. Been to grandson's preschool graduation. Wow, what a moment to remember.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: hey grandpaw, what's for supper?

May 18, 2019, 7:05 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here's hoping.***

May 18, 2019, 7:52 PM

Will be mango/habanero wings. ******

May 18, 2019, 7:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had Anchor Bar today.

May 18, 2019, 7:43 PM

Pretty darn good. They had a mango habanero, but I went with suicidal and jerk. I will be going back. Kinda worried about the second burn from the suicidal. Not the hottest ever, but they do the trick.

Taquitos and a nice stout later for dessert.

May 18, 2019, 7:19 PM

no hops tonight, dealing with a bit of a head cold.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

had one o my fav Porters last night at the brewery.

May 18, 2019, 7:23 PM

first I've had it in a while. Was perfect for dessert/chill/watch a band beer without being overwhelming. Still drove home. Will do Porters in summer, but Stouts will be less frequent.

It will be this and i think it might be good.

May 18, 2019, 7:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never got to it, in fact I haven't had a beer all weekend.

May 19, 2019, 10:35 AM

:(

What I've had for about 5 weeks in a row on Sattidy

May 18, 2019, 8:16 PM

Cajun shrimp in cast iron, grilled bell pepper skewers, roasted corn.

72g protein, 8g fat, 40g carbs

this is what has kept me from doing this on Sunday nite.

May 18, 2019, 8:33 PM

a whole lotta Sunday nights we have chicken fajita's on the grill.

Hamburgers, hot dogs, pork n beans, strawberries,

May 19, 2019, 10:54 AM

blueberries, chips, and smores for dessert.

One scout thing that needs to be done......kids need to learn how to kill, skin, dress, and BBQ a whole hog and/or chicken for large gatherings. If I ran the show I'd have the scouts construct a BBQ pit. Find some hickory wood if available. Get some coals going, and cook a whole hog, or two, and have a pig picking. Maybe chicken. None of this bring a big cooker and cook a bunch of Sam's hamburgers and processed hot dogs. Nope.

Dig a hole, put up some concrete blocks. Lay a metal grate, cover with non-pressure treated plywood. Cut your own firewood. Make fire, feed coals, monitor hog. Slather copious amounts of red pepper vinegar-based BBQ sauce. Remove pig(s), dig in.

Maybe have some scout build a nice permanent BBQ pit for his(her now) Eagle project.

As it stands, we get a gas cooker, Sam's burgers, and the kids build a camp fire, and prepare food in a kitchen. Adults cook the food. Heck, I remember HIGH SCHOOL parties in the woods (swamp) with a whole pig picking. And the pig was killed, skinned, and prepped by "kids". They didn't borrow their daddy's gas cooker either. They built a pit. Cut the wood. Killed the hog. Skinned and gutted it, cooked it, made the sauce, and we ate like kings. And drank like the court jester. Just leave off the 4 kegs of beer and the cooler of PJ and it would be perfect for scouts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only things kids are killing these days are...

May 19, 2019, 11:24 AM

Creepers and zombies in Minecraft.

^^^Knows his minecraft!!! Oldest kills deer and squirrels.

May 19, 2019, 12:12 PM

And his share of fish. Don't think they do hunting in scouts, so I'd probably have to leave that off. Still, buy the hog from the butcher. Otherwise, build a pit and cook it.

Of course then they'd be sued by some Muslim scout and they'd go broker. So I guess that's why I'm not in charge. Still a lot of fun, but their level of woods skills could be improved.

Example, the land owner was awesome enough to push up a bunch of fat lighter stumps on the property. Like a TON, several, literally. So starting a fire was no problem. BUT, the boy scouts (that's high school/middle) tried to chop the fat lighter stumps in log-length pieces with a hatchet. A group of four of them took turns. First with a hatchet, then finally with an axe. It was painful to watch. Chopping perpendicular, and straight down, perpendicular with the grain of the wood, ostensibly to cut logs for the fire. You ever try that with fat lighter? It's nearly impossible. But 4 boy scouts managed to cut it in half making two logs, after an hour of sweat. I then told them to use the axe to cut VERTICAL on the log, WITH the grain of the wood, and you will get long pieces that splinter off that you can peel off (and they will burn better).

Boy scout leader did not take kindly to my recommendation so I let it be. Instead, he showed them the proper (safe) way to swing the axe to spend an hour cutting sideways through a piece of fat lighter. Even then, he never told then to cut at angles to make a wedge then rotate the log around. So they chopped straight down each time. Painful to watch.

And the best way to swing an axe is actually not the way they show, because it's less safe. I didn't even show them that. If I were attacking that stump I'd start off with a 10-12 lb maul and split it in half lengthwise, then quarters, etc. Then with an axe, cut the smaller pieces in half to get a log-length piece of fat lighter. As it was, they managed to get 10-foot high flames from a standard lowe's fire pit, with all the fat lighter they managed to cut. Then after putting out a fire on the ground because of improper site prep, we had to wait for the fire to burn down for the smores. Ideally you use the fat lighter to dry then burn split green hardwood, or in this case there was plenty of hardwood on the ground they could have used to get proper coals for smores.

But they were very skilled in smores cooking. Experts. They had tables set up, smores sticks, yuge marshmallows, graham crackers and hershey bars. It was an assembly line and most impressive. Adults each had one after the kids were full.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dawgs. Lotsa dawgs.

May 19, 2019, 1:00 PM

Had 8 high schoolers over who were hungry after an afternoon on the lake.

So dawgs, chili, chips and since a fire in the fire pit was required, s'mores.

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Replies: 19
| visibility 400
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic