Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What the hell do you guys want?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 51

What the hell do you guys want?

Jan 19, 2014, 12:01 AM

So I just finished reading STS' post on Dabo's contract extension (http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2014/1/18/5322888/dabo-swinneys-ridiculous-contract-extension) and the comments that followed. Aside from the fact it contains one of the most ignorant lines I've ever seen written in a sports piece ("He's basically guaranteed himself a job here after Chad leaves." - Show me a head coach in all of college football whose job hinges solely on one of the coordinator positions, STS), the whole thing got me thinking...

The vocal minority of Clemson fans online has turned into the orange-tinted version of the FGF crowd.

Clemson fans fussed and hollered when Bowden was the coach. The fanbase wasn't happy with the consistent losses to the Marylands and Wake Forests of the league. Our best bowl game appearance under Bowden was the Peach/Chick Fil A bowl three times, where we only won one game. We played in zero ACC Championship games. We won zero ACC Championships. Bowden made some pretty poor hires throughout his tenure (Rob Spence was our OC for three and a half years FYI). Bowden averaged 7.67 wins per year (excluding 2008). But the one thing Bowden had going for him is that we beat South Carolina like a dead horse year after year.

Then Clemson "controversially" hired Dabo. Since then, Clemson has consistently beaten the teams we are supposed to (the 2011 NC State game seems to be the last game we didn't win as a heavy favorite). The only teams we don't beat anymore are ranked in the top ten. Our best bowl game has been the Orange Bowl twice, winning one. We have played for two ACC championships. We have won one ACC Championship. Dabo's hires have only gotten better each time he has made one. Dabo has averaged almost two more wins a year at 9.4 (also excluding 2008). But now that South Carolina is a mainstay in the top 15 each year and we can't seem to beat them, that's the lone blemish on Dabo's program.

When Clemson lost to teams we were supposed to beat, you fussed about the quality of losses. When Bowden had Clemson bowl eligible nine seasons in a row, you fussed about quality of bowl games. When Clemson hired Dabo, you fussed about the quality of Dabo's experience. When Clemson beat literally every team they're supposed to beat, you fussed about the quality of the ACC.

So I thought I'd pose a question for those of you who dislike Dabo, are unhappy with the contract extension, or any other reason you feel the need to complain about the current state of the Clemson program.

What the hell do you guys want? Aside from something new to ##### about, of course.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I want a Bojangles Chicken Biscuit!

Jan 19, 2014, 12:06 AM

There are no Bojangles in Texas!

Re: I want a Bojangles Chicken Biscuit!

Jan 19, 2014, 10:35 AM

That's what I had this morning, it's Bo time!

I Hate You

Jan 19, 2014, 5:02 PM

Only because I'm super jelly.

Re: What the hell do you guys want?

Jan 19, 2014, 12:06 AM

The buyout on Clemson;s part is a joke and the comments are true

Who draws up a contract with the OC being the same buyout as the HC at roughly 5 mil if another team comes calling yet if he fails the school, the school fires him, they owe him 24 mil??

Joke of a contract and I am a Dabo supporter

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The buyout is a moot point

Jan 19, 2014, 12:14 AM

There is 0% chance Clemson fires Dabo in the next two years.

Chad Morris is going to be Clemson's coordinator in 2014, so our offense should roughly be the same. An incredibly early glance at the schedule, our worst case scenario should be 8-4. No chance that gets anyone fired.

For argument's sake, let's say Morris leaves in 2015 for a head gig somewhere and we swing and miss on the new OC hire (again... nothing in Dabo's recent hires point to him not being able to make a hire that works). Worst case scenario, we have a losing record. This isn't getting anyone fired unless it's somewhere in the 2-10 vicinity.

So in terms of a buyout, the earliest you're looking at is 2016 at $17.2 million. And that's the absolute worst case scenario, which won't happen.

Take a breath and think things through before jumping off the deep end.

Buyout Moot--are you kidding me?

Jan 19, 2014, 2:04 AM

So if Morris leaves and we lose like eight straight and Dabo has two losing seasons--we would have to pay 17 million to get rid of him and you think that is moot?

Please tell me what scares you in life--I'd like some of the crazy pills you got there fella.

The buyout is the point--pay the man a huge salary, no one cares about that. 3.5 is great but the buyout is ridiculous. Remember Chizik got fired a year removed from a natty bc everyone realized it was the OC that was doing it--got the OC as the head man and they are a play away from another Natty.

We can't pay 17 million because we don't have it

Jan 19, 2014, 4:56 AM

and have no way to get it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buyout Moot--are you kidding me?

Jan 19, 2014, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Buyout Moot--are you kidding me? ]

so the OC at auburn fixed the defense?

what basis do you have that we (not chizik) lose like 8 straight?
chizik did it at Iowa St.

Re: Buyout Moot--are you kidding me?

Jan 20, 2014, 3:11 AM

I would have never believed we would lose five, ever, in my lifetime but here we are.

there is no buy out for the oc for a hc job, so that's

Jan 19, 2014, 12:25 AM [ in reply to Re: What the hell do you guys want? ]

absurd.

ark st is not hiring dabo away. there is a small handful of colleges that he could leave for & could afford him what he's built at clemson. clemson is a final destination, one of the very reasons some were so upset that a wr coach was afforded this opportunity. it's funny some use it against clemson now as if the hc job is a stepping stone; it's not.

his staff is top 10, he's made it perfectly clear how he's planned to build his mousetrap & has been successful doing so.

the comments in that piece, save the early one that points out the buy out[by the time it would be considered] is more than reasonable, are pretty over the top, but considering the site, there's no shock there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: there is no buy out for the oc for a hc job, so that's

Jan 19, 2014, 2:14 AM

If it truly is a destination job for Dabo, he could have agreed to an equal buyout.

He did not.

Clemson made a huge commitment to Dabo, but he didn't make the same commitment back.

Dabo can talk about how much he loves Clemson, but when given the chance to prove it, he left himself an out so he can feasibly jump ship tomorrow if he wants to.

That's why this contract is bogus. Anyone that can't see it needs to take off their Dabo colored glasses.

good, i'm glad clemson made a huge commitment.

Jan 19, 2014, 7:20 AM

he's earned it.

as for his buyout, he has done nothing to warrant such a request from clemson. it would probably be seen as contentious as dabo has given no one a reason to believe he won't honor his portion; you demand those things from people that have.

as for him proving it, all i've seen from the man is fealty to clemson & its program. he has represented clemson on high in all things; any suggestion otherwise is as absurd as that demand.

he does it right and any of the few colleges that might come calling will have to match a guaranteed contract.

there are a lot of ways to "lock" people up; that's just one.

i have a lot of questions about the contract, but none of them have to do with the numbers i've seen released.

again, i get there's a wow factor for some people to some of this.

i don't understand any angst or anxiety though.

shrug.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: good, i'm glad clemson made a huge commitment.

Jan 19, 2014, 5:58 PM

he hasn't earned #### until he starts winning the rivalry game

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He hasn't earned it? Really? Listen, I HATE

Jan 19, 2014, 6:40 PM

losing to the coots as much as anyone I assure you. However, to say he hasn't, "earned it" I don't get. ACC championship, first OB win, s%!+, even appearance, since Danny, 3 10+ wins seasons in a row (11 wins the last 2 straight), hiring and recruiting guys fit for our great university......

I want to crush the coots. Their best run EVER is over, this year. Anyways, Slurrier has got to be ready to retire into wine spritzers soon. Once that happens, all will be right with the world once again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2014, 12:38 AM [ in reply to Re: What the hell do you guys want? ]

get a clue, you dumb ###

Tell 'em coot

Jan 19, 2014, 1:41 AM [ in reply to Re: What the hell do you guys want? ]

supporter smh

Seriously total coot..

Jan 19, 2014, 2:16 AM

Anyone who is looking out for the best interests of Clemson and not wanting the University to be saddled with yet another asinine buyout like the one we just out from under with Bowden--yep, coot.

Clemson should demand the best--if Dabo is the best then let him prove it. Right now you cannot fire a head coach no matter how bad he sucks during a season. Losing season or mediocrity--just live with it. Lose to the coots for a decade--fine by you.

Not me--Clemson deserves the best and if you aren't delivering then you should go.

Would you have fired Dabo after 2010 6-7 record?***

Jan 19, 2014, 2:21 AM

Re: Would you have fired Dabo after 2010 6-7 record?***

Jan 19, 2014, 2:30 AM

To me that season was unacceptable. Defense loaded with NFL talent but an offense that was pathetic bc Dabo promoted Napier higher than he wanted to go (so Dabo could essentially run the offense too). That was a huge mistake and on Dabo. That was just an awful offense.

I was fine with giving him one more year to mature as a coach since a lot of those losses were so close (should never have let that 60 yard kick beat us at Doak), but if he struggled the next year then absolutely move on. All this time we were losing ground to the in-state rival as well.

Dabo has still had peaks and valleys since the 6-7 debacle. Win the ACC, get beat by USCjr and embarrassed nationally by WV. Lose to USC at home but beat LSU. Beat Georgia but blown out at home to FSU.

For me I love having Dabo as coach and think he should be well compensated but this contract is a potential millstone. I'm not convinced this is a no risk investment and I wouldn't make this deal if there was any risk but clearly you have it.

It also means that the AD or anyone else has zero leverage in wanting some changes. Dabo holds the keys and the wallet and anyone who knows him a bit knows he can be a tad stubborn at times about making some changes--he doesn't have to listen to anybody now. It is just too dangerous for me.

Fair enough***

Jan 19, 2014, 2:39 AM

what has dabo not done, to prove he can lead clemson to

Jan 19, 2014, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Seriously total coot.. ]

where we all want to go ? what else does he need to do. i have a feeling that you will be scratching one more item off that very short list this november.

You're no Dabo or Clemson supporter you joke of a little man***

Jan 19, 2014, 7:58 AM [ in reply to Re: What the hell do you guys want? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

did you just poke choknchikn wit a stick?***

Jan 19, 2014, 8:02 AM

Yeah - but you just talked me down a bit with the Riggs deal

Jan 19, 2014, 8:58 AM

Guys like kikntigers are a waste.

My old lady at Clemson was kinda like that. Would take the opposite of literally anything at times just to get off watching people get worked up.

At least he didn't have the internet then ! !

Good things will continue to pile up for CDS and Our Tigers ! !

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

haha...

Jan 19, 2014, 9:00 AM

i'm here to help.

:)

I appreciate it !!! bob at brunch and you're filling in ?

Jan 19, 2014, 9:09 AM

Very kind.

bob is very helpful...

Jan 19, 2014, 9:17 AM

around tax time...

you know, being an accountant and all.

choknchkn is a man??

Jan 19, 2014, 9:02 AM [ in reply to You're no Dabo or Clemson supporter you joke of a little man*** ]

Who knew?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

yes, but he doesn't sell the good stuff...

Jan 19, 2014, 9:05 AM

photo tumblr_lgn03ndubw1qgaafso1_400_zps3ba1cfc0.jpg

My wish - for all of the wheels that don't squeek to glow

Jan 19, 2014, 12:08 AM

or something. It's like a plane crash. Tell me how many didn't crash, etc...

Jan 19, 2014, 12:46 AM

I would like contracts to be given to have a relationship with market demand. We just gave him a raise (which he deserves) and a huge buyout just because he's a good guy and has done well. No need to give him what has got to be the biggest buyout ever. It's just too risky. It's bad business.

That said, I love Dabo and I think we'll be ok.

Too me the he is just a

Jan 19, 2014, 1:06 AM

frustrated old man who gets on a website and vents because his wife is tired of listening to him complain.................. He would have complained no matter what the contract had in it............

The worst part of his story was that Coach Swinney's agent had been shopping him around to other schools and no one was interested................. The only people who would know that are Coach Swinney, his agent, and the AD's he would have contacted............. None of them would have spoken to this jerk................... Coach Swinney is happy at Clemson and wants to retire here......... These jerks think they know more about football, running a football program than anyone else..... But all they seem to be able to do is run a website were they complain and get a following of other like minds souls......

Wait until March they will start telling us again how awful our weight training program is run......... I will be glad when sites like this go away............

Coach Swinney will be fine after Coach Morris takes a head coaching job............... Coach Ford had great assistant coaches was he a bad coach? He was never a OC just a OL coach.................

Clemson is going through the third best period in school history and it not over it could end up being the best period in school history and there are fans who only care about one thing beating South Carolina.... Well that day will come and then they will find a new topic to rail about ........................

Re: Too me the he is just a

Jan 19, 2014, 2:12 AM

Actually everyone on the board knows these things--so it is really not all that 'insider' of knowledge if you know anyone close to the board. That is a lot of people and a lot of people know the same info.

Jan 19, 2014, 1:10 AM

I like Dabo. I was vocally in favor of him being hired during his interm time. I think he is taking Clemson football into a new golden age. He is fantastic at recruiting, and does an awesome job with hires. I think we have one of the top 3 football staffs in the country, largely thanks to Dabo's great personality and willingness to take less money to hire a better staff.

Having said all of that, I still don't like the idea of an 8 year contract. Does any other coach in the country have an 8 year contract? I wouldn't even offer Nick Saban an 8 year contract.

Re: Re: What the #### do you guys want?

Jan 19, 2014, 8:52 AM

Larry Fedora was given a 7 yr contract a yr ago when he went to north Carolina. This was because of the probation and limited scholarships under butch Davis regime. The terms weren't anything similar I'm sure.

Why would you even read that rubbish?

Jan 19, 2014, 1:21 AM

Much less post a link to it?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally--it makes far too much sense...

Jan 19, 2014, 2:09 AM

People might not like to read too much truth in one dose. Milk before meat, milk before meat my friends...

Wait--so you are ok with losing to USCjr??

Jan 19, 2014, 2:00 AM

And you are ok with the inconsistency Bowden?? We did the same stupid thing with Bowden--gave him a contract extension with a huge buyout for no reason and paid the price for it.

I want a coach who can not lose 5 straight to our rival, who is competitive against our ACC rival (Bowden could also beat FSU when he had no business doing so), and who doesn't turn around and lose to Duke or an unranked nobody in the ACC (the impetus for 'Clemsoning').

Is it a good thing to say to an employee, hey, you can suck for the next four years at your job but don't worry about it because I can't fire you. If I did I would have to pay quadruple your salary for the next decade.

What part of that sounds remotely intelligent?? Please explain.

Obviously no one is OK with losing to Scar, but they are in

Jan 19, 2014, 2:16 AM

the best years they've ever had as a program. The two teams we lost to this year were the national champs and the #4 ranked team. When was the last time Dabo pulled a "Bowden" and lost to a Duke or Wake a Forest? Bowden was rewarded for beating Scar and we got burned. Dabo is being rewarded for the overall success of the program. Do you foresee a dramatic turnaround in the program soon? Do you not think we will return to beating Scar again? They were never as good then as they are now but that was TB's saving grace.

Re: Obviously no one is OK with losing to Scar, but they are in

Jan 19, 2014, 2:21 AM

I don't care how good they are--5 straight is unacceptable. Win or get out. I grew up born and bred to hate coots and that will never change.

We had a great season--loved every minute of it minus the loss to the coots and getting blown out at home in our worst home loss ever but I still loved the season and the bowl win.

But the last time Dabo coaches without Chad Morris we had a 6-7 record--a losing season. Things are going great but lots of unknowns and you can't predict this program in 4 years or 7 years. This contract and buyout says no matter how poorly we might do, we can't fire Dabo Swinney--thats just stupid.

Right now Dabo could lose 12 straight to USCjr and Clemson fans could do nothing about it because the AD just hitched our wagon so tightly to Dabo's.

And after that 6-7 season Dabo fixed what needed to be fixed

Jan 19, 2014, 2:32 AM

and won an ACC championship. And before you mention how we went on to get blown out by WV in the OB, he went out and got Venables. The last two years we have lost to the same two teams, but we have also beat some highly ranked teams, in bowl games, and against the mighty SEC also. Dabo has shown and proved that he will fix whatever problems there are.

If you want to credit Morris for Dabo's success then does he also receive the blame for the losses? Would you think it's a wise move to fire CM for losing to Scar?

Dabo DID NOT have the talent or the experience as a

Jan 19, 2014, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Obviously no one is OK with losing to Scar, but they are in ]

head coach before Morris arrived. That is an apple to oranges argument. Think of something else that might be relevant.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's my soon-to-be unpopular opinion

Jan 19, 2014, 3:43 AM [ in reply to Wait--so you are ok with losing to USCjr?? ]

With where Dabo's taken the program, the outcome doesn't matter. The only thing to take away from that game is your ability to brag to your neighbor or have to man up and take some ribbing from a Gamecock for a year. Had we won the game this year, we would have been in the same bowl game, playing the same opponent. Absolutely nothing changes except your pride, possibly.

The reason the South Carolina game mattered during the Bowden years was because the outcome of that game affected our bowl status. Win and we may go to the Peach Bowl. Lose and we could drop to Nashville or Boise.

Would I like to win the SCar game? Absolutely. I'd love to win them all, while you're asking me how selfish I'd like to be. But as long as we're winning the rest of the games and it doesn't affect where we play in the postseason, the outcome of that game does. not. matter.

Re: Here's my soon-to-be unpopular opinion

Jan 19, 2014, 9:48 AM

Automatic BCS tie in is over. It absolutely does matter!

You actually think that Dabo might suck at his job

Jan 19, 2014, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Wait--so you are ok with losing to USCjr?? ]

for the next 4 years. What part of that sounds remotely intelligent? Please explain.

I want a rum and coke.

Jan 19, 2014, 2:49 AM

This thing has me stress out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2014, 6:41 AM

What do we want?
For me,the first thing I want is a TigerNet fan base
that is realistic.( I know this is not directly related to the article but hear me out).
I am tired of these fickle fans on here that seem to think we should go undefeated ,and win the N.C just because we are Clemson,then they complain when we don't live up to their expectations,bash Dabo for five straight double digit losses to the coots,or two embarrassing national tv losses(2011 Orange Bowl and the loss this year to FSU).And then when someone disagrees with them they are labeled a coot.
Now that I have got that out of the way,this is what I really want.I want a coach who is passionate about his program,his university and his players.Dabo fits that bill.
I want a program that is competitive.Dabo's goals each season are allways the same:
1)Win the opener
2)Win the division
3)Win the conference
4) Beat your instate rival.
He has come close,but as yet has not fullfilled all four goals in one season( P.S. notice no talk of the NC.)
Therefore,I do wonder about his contract extension,and in particular the buyout portion.
But it is what it is.
I can only hope that this dominance by our instate rival will soon cease,that FSU's run to the N.C. was a combination of an easy regular season schedule,some good recruiting( did we ever give Winston a look at),a match up with an Auburn team that was maybe not as good as advertised( they had luck as well).
I don't know,but I do know Clemson is close to regaining elite status.Problem is close only counts in horseshoes ,and hand grenades
Sorry for being so long,but at least I feel better.

Leftie, that is an excellent post and could not agree more.***

Jan 19, 2014, 2:09 PM

Re: What the hell do you guys want? Beat USCjr

Jan 20, 2014, 3:15 AM [ in reply to Re: What the hell do you guys want? ]

Anything else is loser talk.

The kind of stuff I used to hear chickens say all year long. Now I hear it from so called Tigers fans who have accepted defeat.

Re: WORLD PEACE?***

Jan 19, 2014, 8:08 AM

A bottle of 23-yr Pappy Van Winkle

Jan 19, 2014, 8:33 AM

TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

how bout a dram of henry iv?

Jan 19, 2014, 8:39 AM

no baptist.

i can't hang out with you no mo unless your palette becomes much more discerning.

smh

oh, and good morning gwp!

Good morning good sir

Jan 19, 2014, 9:05 AM

If you have some henry iv, I'll be right over...gonna be a great Sunday!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Can't wait to watch the Browns play today!

Jan 19, 2014, 9:08 AM

Oh, wait. Sorry, I has the confuse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

the browns?

Jan 19, 2014, 9:09 AM

are those neighbor's kids?

Point for one of the most sensible posts I've seen in quite

Jan 19, 2014, 8:44 AM

a while. Some so called Clemson fans just can't enjoy the success we have enjoyed the last 3 years. Have we had a couple of bumps, sure but what team hasn't?? Folks lets just enjoy this as it's only going to get better and we'll get back to beating the coots sooner rather than later! Well said ClemsonTigers4!

HAM SAMMICHES !!!! And Bojangles sounds good, too.***

Jan 19, 2014, 8:46 AM

Um, this is about the contract

Jan 19, 2014, 8:52 AM

not about Dabo. It's not emotional.

I think you do have to question the size of the buyout given no BUSINESS reason why it is so large. Where is the pressure coming from to make it virtually impossible to change coaches within a 5 year period? I certainly don't see any.

I like Dabo, That has nothing to do with the contract.

A life time supply of Crown Royal Reserve with a selected

Jan 19, 2014, 9:07 AM

bottle of a craft bourbon every 3 months.

I BELIEVE IN DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION!!!

Same as always

Jan 19, 2014, 9:57 AM

Win division 50%. Beat rival 66%. Win conference 25%.

Yes the teams related to these goals have gotten stronger. Yes we were stronger than both of them not long ago. Yes we ALL made changes around the same time. Yes they made better changes. Yes we are seeing the consequences of our choices. No we don't have any prospect to pass them anytime soon. No we don't have any prospect to achieve the above goals during the life of Dabo's new contract.

Re: Same as always

Jan 19, 2014, 10:53 AM

I like where Clemson football is.

I think the next step for the program is to start beating South Carolina regularly again. I also think that will begin next season. It's a home game, Dabo's dandy dozen is gone, Dabo has head coaching experience now, and Clemson has coaching stability it has lacked for a while.

* Also, Clowney, Strong, Johnson & Shaw (and others) are no longer at South Carolina.

I think beating FSU and contending for a national championship should be the (realistic) goal for 2015. (the final step for Clemson becoming an elite program again)

A chance for a championship.

Jan 19, 2014, 11:09 AM

Dabo has elevated this program to a perennial 10-11 win team. We don't lose to teams we shouldn't any more. He has recruited some great players. I will give him all the credit in the world for that. But he can't take the next step. He is our version of Frank Beamer. For like 8 years Virginia Tech had 10 win seasons, but never won a championship. I want someone else to come in and get us to that top tier. This is our ceiling with Dabo as the coach.

"Take the next step?"

Jan 19, 2014, 1:34 PM

You mean a National Championship?

I don't see why that is Dabo's expectation. Clemson has no proven track record of competing for the national title. We have no history of matching the big boys of college football. A national championship is a nice goal to have and one that Clemson should have, but it can't be expected. Not without a proven reputation, at least.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Take the next step?"

Jan 19, 2014, 1:44 PM

You are absolutely right. We should expect to win the ACC every 3 years or so like we used to when we were at our peak. We should have NC aspirations, but there is no way Dabo should be on the hot seat even if he never leads us to a NC win.

We have taken a large step forward under Dabo. I think he should be in the top 10-15 coaches in NCAA football when it comes to compensation, but I still don't like the idea of an 8 year contract.

I still don't get the point of this post

Jan 19, 2014, 2:12 PM

and all of the expectations/criticisms whatever regarding Dabo.

The friggin' contract is ridiculous. Go to the post on STS and read what the lawyer had to say, He is 100% correct. A contract is not a reward or punishment - it should reflect a negotiated position reflecting a balance between the strengths of both parties.

Why is this fanbase so convinced of Clemson's mediocrity? Have we not learned from the whole Bowden fiasco (not the results of his coaching - THE RESULTS OF HIS CONTRACT). This is a top 20 job. Why sell the farm when there is absolutely no need to?

Once again our athletic administration - with new leadership no less - has shown it knows squat about negotiations.

Jan 19, 2014, 2:18 PM

But when it comes to football, I guess I'll take the next logic step from this past season...a state championship, an ACC championship and then a bowl championship...that's not too much to ask is it? :)

heck, we all want that ! i thought we was just talking foot-

Jan 19, 2014, 2:23 PM

ball. my bad.

Outstanding post ! Agree 100%.

Jan 19, 2014, 2:36 PM

Those complaining about the contract are ones that have found something/anything to complain about since Dabo was hired.

Enjoy the ride! Clemson is on one of the best runs in school history. Find something about our success to be happy about.

to beat the coots***

Jan 19, 2014, 2:56 PM

Re: to beat the coots***

Jan 19, 2014, 5:54 PM

+1

in the end...it matters most

11-1 doesn't even do it when you can't win your #### rivalry game

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so in termm..

Jan 19, 2014, 6:02 PM

winning against bad teams and losing to the top 10 teams is great eh? im sick of losing to the coots.and like it or not fsu is back.we will be second fiddle in the sec for a while to come now. its all good though.we can beat the wakes and nc states of the world though.

Re: so in termm..

Jan 19, 2014, 7:07 PM

petrino and louisville

Jan 19, 2014, 7:09 PM

I'd give you +10 for that if I could.

Message was edited by: phonograf®

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

everybody's tired of losing to usc

Jan 20, 2014, 7:37 AM

to answer your Q

Bowden consistently beat USuC because they sucked...

Jan 20, 2014, 7:52 AM

during that time period. That has a lot to do with it.

A 'sleeper' DE and DT from Never-Neverland... You asked.***

Jan 20, 2014, 8:02 AM

Replies: 76
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic