Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tailgating with TV streaming with iphone
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 101

Tailgating with TV streaming with iphone

Sep 9, 2019, 9:22 AM

So for the last couple of years I have been able the watch espn app and plug up my iphone using an adaptor cord and stream to tv with an hdmi cord. Saturday, I could log into espn and watch on my iphone but every time I plugged in my adaptor cord it stopped working. Any help with getting this fixed would be appreciated.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tailgating with TV streaming with iphone

Sep 9, 2019, 9:27 AM

? Maybe try using a Chromecast dongle plugged into the HDMI port, and cast from your ESPN app to the TV. Just an idea. You could try that to see if it works.

Sep 9, 2019, 9:34 AM

I think I would need wifi for that

Sep 9, 2019, 10:03 AM

I've done this in the past. It will usually work in the morning, but once more people show up, it usually gets really slow with a lot of buffering, if it streams at all.

The best way I've found to do it, is to hotspot your phone, then get a second device to connect to that hotspot wifi, and connect the chromecast to that also. I had to do it this way with my iPhone, but a friend with Android was able to connect directly to the chromecast without the secondary hotspot. Either way, it's not very reliable once the crowd gets to Clemson and the network gets overloaded.

I have Verizon with unlimited data if that makes any difference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 10:10 AM

It works great on Friday, but on gameday I haven't had much luck with AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. Just not fast enough. Back to satellite for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 11:50 AM

I've used the same setup for the past 2 years - iphone>adapter cord>TV HDMI input and it has worked just fine from parking lots in downtown Clemson, but I haven't tried it yet this year. If you're saying that the phone works well with ESPN until you plug in the cord and then it quits, I wonder if you have a problem with either the adapter cord or the TV HDMI input - or maybe a problem with the phone cable jack circuit. I don't otherwise see a reason why it would not transfer the video being shown on the iphone. Try the setup at home where you don't have bandwidth issues and see if you get the same result - if so, try another phone/adapter cable/TV until it works.

Sep 9, 2019, 12:05 PM

Apparently ESPN blocked streaming from their mobile app to a tv through an adapter. That’s what we had done in the past as well and it didn’t work this year, so some digging on the internet came to that conclusion. Streaming it through a service like Hulu Live or YoutubeTV works fine, but they don’t let you stream it directly from their app anymore for whatever reason.

Sep 9, 2019, 12:35 PM

You're correct. I just did some quick research and found that the adapter is considered (and called) a "secondary output". A lot of Comcast customers are really complaining about all of their content being blocked from using a phone or laptop to feed a TV screen.

I guess the streamers are getting to the originators of content and everybody is trying to get a piece of the streaming game and/or protect what they have. Before long, OTT streaming may cost more than cable.

Sep 9, 2019, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Tailgating with TV streaming with iphone ]

We had the same problem at our tailgate as we stream via a phone adaptor hook up to the TV also. ESPN updated their app in the past months to prevent this. What made it worse was that DirecTV & Spectrum both blacked out the game for streaming too. YouTube TV was the only service that could be streamed via phone to the TV.

CUvsFSU2011win

-- Too many daughters and not enough bullets. --

Sep 11, 2019, 3:51 PM

Thank you all for the replies, guess I will be getting youtube tv.

Replies: 9
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic