Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Taibbi again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Taibbi again

Oct 24, 2020, 6:40 PM

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/with-the-hunter-biden-expose-suppression-136?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxMzgxMDYwNiwicG9zdF9pZCI6MTQyMjU1MzIsIl8iOiJiWGhjbyIsImlhdCI6MTYwMzU3OTA0OCwiZXhwIjoxNjAzNTgyNjQ4LCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMTA0MiIsInN1YiI6InBvc3QtcmVhY3Rpb24ifQ.BPazMZi1L8bj0f1rNB0MjpSHkiD-HLXzbtn546rlIQs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taibbi again

Oct 24, 2020, 6:50 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we are...

Oct 24, 2020, 6:54 PM

we have to battle American disinformation from Americans trying to influence the American election.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2020, 7:24 PM

Why would the social media platforms participate again in what Giuliani, Bannon, and Rupert Murdoch were trying to push? They knew exactly how this story goes because it's a re-run.

The social-media platforms got burned mightily by a last-minute disinformation blitz in 2016 that many believe successfully tilted the election; they saw it happening all over again, said "fool me twice, shame on me...and declined to participate this time around. And mucho zappage ensued. That's what history is, franc, people choosing sides at key moments...and they chose. As was their right under the law. There are no laws governing social media; just the social-media companies' own terms of service...which they are free to change at any time. A user who doesn't like those terms is free to start switch to any other social-media platforms that will allow them to spew any amount of hate or misinformation they care to.

Isn't that what Parler is, after all, a nice comfortable echo chamber where the Alt-Right can spew whatever venom and BS they want without being challenged or regulated on it in any way?

Mind, nobody outside the Fox Bubble will go near Parler because it makes Tucker Carlson look like Mother Theresa; it's like, apesh!t crazy up in there, but hey. If you want to try to maintain a viable business or even a viable civilization with that madhouse as your communications platform, you're absolutely welcome to try.

Oct 24, 2020, 7:46 PM

Oct 24, 2020, 8:31 PM

Sure they do.

It's their platform. Again, if you don't like what they're doing on it, you don't have to give them your clicks. Those clicks are their ad revenue and that's where they make their money. That's your recourse, should you so decide.

You see those videos all the time of people making a big hairy deal about how it was "still a free country and they don't have to wear masks if they don't want to" as well. And they're right - outside on the sidewalk, anyhow, a person can do what he wants, within the limits of city or state ordnances, anyway. Inside it's a private business...and the business decides what's permissible and what isn't.

You don't like it, don't shop or eat there.

Facebook and Twitter are private companies. You use them you abide by their terms of service. And those terms are pretty much whatever they decide.

Mandarin Bro

Oct 24, 2020, 9:02 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2020, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Taibbi again ]

It's pretty easy to tell the people who only read stuff...

Oct 24, 2020, 10:18 PM

that they agree with. Confirmation bias is a very comfortable place to live.

Spot on - as long as we all acknowledge the bias.

Oct 24, 2020, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Taibbi again ]

That's the problem here, as I see it. We all know and admit that Fox news is biased. Let's stop pretending that Facebook and Twitter are not, and that they don't have an agenda that drives their "fact checking". And yes, that's their right.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Spot on - as long as we all acknowledge the bias.

Oct 25, 2020, 12:11 AM

It's actually an interesting sociological question.

Facebook and Twitter are becoming increasingly aware of the distorted power they wield over social discourse itself. I don't think they ever really sought this power, or even wanted it...and they've certainly done their best to shirk their responsibility from it over the years, with that exact "we're a platform not a publisher" nonsense. (Horsesh!t, BTW...they're a mass publisher on a scale the old print presses never even aspired to.) But that power just sorta...growed.

The scale of what they do now control obviously scares them, as I think it would any rational person. Check out The Social Dilemma on Netflix if you haven't seen it; it's a really good watch. They're aware of the beast they've almost inadvertently created. he problem is it pays so very much...and then of course, there's this little problem that power, once you've got it, is so tasty and delicious and so very hard to give away....

I think we need to talk that out like rational people, what that means, and what we do going forwards...or that decision is going to be made for us...you know, like it just was.

Of course, Trump and his gang are not rational people or adults, so any grownup discussion is by definition not likely going to involve them. But I myself am all ears, because this is a new animal the human race has built here and if you know exactly how we're supposed to deal with it you're a heckuva lot smarter than I am.

Taibbi is hurting some people's feelings

Oct 24, 2020, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Taibbi again ]

he's dead on. This is a more dangerous issue than left verse right. Ignoring it is ignoring your freedoms slipping away

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic