Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Walker Course named top public college golf course in America
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

TNET: Walker Course named top public college golf course in America

Feb 18, 2021, 8:37 AM

Walker Course named top public college golf course in America

The Golfers' Choice Awards are in. The Walker Course at Clemson University was named the nation's best collegiate and university-affiliated public course in Ame Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And just how many public college golf courses are there,

Feb 18, 2021, 8:49 AM

you ask? From the list published by the PGA that I counted, there are 56 that are completely public, and another 29 that are either semiprivate or completely private.

I was honestly surprised at the number, because if there is an almost guaranteed money losing proposition, it is running a public golf course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And just how many public college golf courses are there,

Feb 18, 2021, 8:56 AM

Not necessarily. I have a friend who owns and operates a public golf course in South Carolina and
is is making a good profit.

Feb 21, 2021, 2:03 PM

Best University course I have ever seen, particularly for an average golfer.
Of course it is not Augusta, but fantastic for Clemson.
It used to be cow pastures and agricultural land! Big improvement over the old Clemson course!!

Lots of free labor I would guess

Feb 18, 2021, 9:36 AM [ in reply to And just how many public college golf courses are there, ]

Clemson has degree programs in landscape architecture and course management; I understand the course is used as an outdoor lab for these students.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 3:31 PM [ in reply to And just how many public college golf courses are there, ]

Obviously you've never run a public golf course. There are plenty of public courses that make great money. You just have to know what you're doing! People will pay to play great layouts, great conditions and great greens. I speak from experience.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Am I wrong in thinking that the Clemson Men's team

Feb 18, 2021, 9:01 AM

doesn't use The Walker Course for tournaments because the lay-out is too short?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Am I wrong in thinking that the Clemson Men's team

Feb 18, 2021, 9:11 AM

yeah seems silly to build a course where they cant host events. Clemson has huge unused acreage. Looks like that shouldnt be an issue

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the women's team may play there...

Feb 18, 2021, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Am I wrong in thinking that the Clemson Men's team ]

but to my knowledge, the men don't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: TNET: Walker Course named top public college golf course in America

Feb 18, 2021, 9:04 AM

Congratulations to players & staff. Quite an honor!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 9:12 AM

That's a great honor. IMHO, the bulk of the credit should go to Don Garrett, the golf course superintendent who has done a phenomenal job making sure the course in in great shape. Most courses are judged on their playing conditions as a major part of their ratings. It is not supposed to be like that but it just is! Brent and his staff do a great job too.

Most university courses are not owned by the university, but a developer developed and paid for the golf course. I am not sure how it is set up for leasing the land, but when the Walker Course was built, the university had very little input beyond the structure of the deal. It is funny, but the team that was selected to develop the course was primarily chosen because they were offering a much more attractive hotel with the package.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So true, condition is EVERYTHING on a golf course. The

Feb 18, 2021, 9:20 AM

greens, especially, MUST be in great shape to generate return business. For me, even back when I still had a game, I never hit that many greens in regulation. I had to chip and putt my ar$e off to maintain my 8-10 handicap. If the greens didn't roll true, I was screwed. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The thing that used to really annoy me...

Feb 18, 2021, 9:30 AM

about The Walker Course, when you called to book a tee time, they wouldn't bother telling you they just aerated and sanded the greens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No golf course tells you that unless you ask in advance.

Feb 18, 2021, 10:11 AM

They know their play would fall to ZERO for a couple weeks if they advertised it. :)

Actually some courses do tell you that...

Feb 18, 2021, 10:24 AM

and frankly, all of them should.

Re: Actually some courses do tell you that...

Feb 18, 2021, 9:58 PM

I agree and it's good way to lose business forever.All the courses that I worked for in Myrtle Beach we would tell the customer what to expect out on the course when it came to stuff aerating or any other course repair going on.

Feb 18, 2021, 10:05 AM

That's a nice honor for Clemson. I suspect we benefited from the Yale course, which is generally considered the top college track, being closed due to Covid and allowed to overgrow. The Superintendent left and maintenance staff reduced to 2. If you care, here is a good read about the history, closure and recent comeback by Yale.
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/Yale-Golf-Course-2020

I correct myself

Feb 18, 2021, 10:13 AM

Yale is a private or semi-private club based on the article's references to members so they wouldn't be in this ranking.

Re: I correct myself

Feb 18, 2021, 10:30 AM

The Scarlet Course at Ohio State, designed by Alister MacKenzie, is in the same category.

Can’t be

Feb 18, 2021, 8:54 PM

I am sorry, but that is silly. The Walker course is a mediocre track on a spectacular piece of real estate. There are 4 or 5 just silly holes, and it is not long enough to have a proper tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic