Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Herbstreit worried about Clemson's offensive balance
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

TNET: Herbstreit worried about Clemson's offensive balance

Nov 25, 2017, 10:16 AM

Herbstreit worried about Clemson's offensive balance

The ESPN College Football Gameday crew previewed the upcoming rivalry matchup between No. 3 ranked Clemson vs. No. 24 South Carolina on Saturday night. Desmond Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Herbstreit worried about Clemson's offensive balance

Nov 25, 2017, 10:21 AM

If this is the recipe for South Carolina success:

"So if you are South Carolina, you got to roll the dice, take a chance, rivalry game at home, put everybody at the line of scrimmage against their plus one quarterback run game. Leave your corners on islands, blitz the quarterback and make him give get rid of the ball and until he can consistently show you he can throw the ball downfield, what do you have to lose.""

... that sounds pretty good to me. Put WRU on an island -- it'll be like a vacation!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Nov 25, 2017, 11:06 AM

Our O-line may take umbrage at his assertions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 25, 2017, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Herbstreit worried about Clemson's offensive balance ]

I'd like to see us call some pass plays where KB rolls out of the pocket. He seems to be more accurate and comfortable that way.

I would expect us to mix up runs between the tackles with stretch/sweep plays. KB can pass out of some of these to go downfield.

Loosen up the defense and then Clemson can go to the ATM, er ETN to the house!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

really like Herbie... but it’s clear

Nov 25, 2017, 10:21 AM

we are going to do what we need to in order to win...

and KB is a winner to this point

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully KB can be accurate over 15 yards..

Nov 25, 2017, 10:29 AM

so we can stretch their D and open everything up. Maybe I am being a homer, but I think he will if he has plenty of time.

They can't stop our running game with 8 in the box.

Nov 25, 2017, 10:29 AM

We will out leverage them and push them aside and run over them. Feaster and Bryant are bigger than their back 7. Feaster and Etienne are faster than all of them.

Then, we will play action deep on them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They can't stop our running game with 8 in the box.

Nov 25, 2017, 12:51 PM

To be perfectly honest, my biggest concerns about this game is the play calling, and the part that I'm worried the absolutely worst about is how many of those deep balls down field will Elliott waste downs on when we will need all of them today and next weekend against Miami. Coots have a better D than they did last year, and blitzing from everywhere and stacking the D against the run makes for a hard scoring game. My hope is for quick timed slants and to the outside to Feaster and ETN and let them two use their speed. Use down field passes only if it is absolutely necessary, and with them being no longer than 15 yards to Endow or TEE bc Cain hasn't been reliable all season. Even with the 15 yard passes most of the time are tree top high calling for receivers that can go up and come down with a firm grip on the ball. We will win, but I hope that we don't look like shiot doing it bc that just exposes more of our weaknesses for the next team/coaches to scheme against us!!! Personally, IMO, we have played on a very thin line the season with a lot of lucky breaks. And I believe that KB's throwing has gotten worse over the coarse of the season. He sure hasn't thrown the ball as accurate the second part of the season as he did the first quarter of the season. I know their will be plenty that will disagree and I'm O K with that, and I expect it, as I'm sure there will be many different opinions!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

10-1, hope the shiot continues. Wish a lot of the posters

Nov 25, 2017, 2:25 PM

had to live with the late 60’s early 70’s so they could truly appreciate the great football with the current staff! GO TIGERS!!!

Re: 10-1, hope the shiot continues. Wish a lot of the posters

Nov 25, 2017, 4:17 PM

Early 70 was the worst decade I can ever remember. I think it was 74 or 75, we only had 2 wins that season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heck I can still remember sitting in the stands as a kid

Nov 25, 2017, 7:15 PM [ in reply to 10-1, hope the shiot continues. Wish a lot of the posters ]

having been invited to a game with friends of the family who were IPTAY members with seats down on the 50 yard line. "On the keeper, Mike O'Cain" from some loud-*** stadium speakers. I guess that dates me a bit.

waste? we need repetition to improve at it. You don't get

Nov 25, 2017, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: They can't stop our running game with 8 in the box. ]

a limited number of deep balls per year..

Nov 25, 2017, 10:30 AM

They just trying to boost ratings. We will see who they pick to win. They keep saying USCjr will keep it close but you see Bear don't have it on his board. I think the producers told them to pump up the coots. They showed a clip from the Kentucky game talking about a stout run D. Mind you they gave up 184 yds rushing vs uk. They know what's up. They just need to get ratings out of their prime time game

Nov 25, 2017, 11:15 AM

That graphic that Herbie put up about KB's passes over 15 yards was an eye opener. I know he's had some drops, but still. Make tonight your breakout long passing game KB!

Nov 25, 2017, 12:09 PM

KB has been a little hot and cold throwing deep this year. The WR's need to fight a little more for him. I'm confident he'll be successful against USCjr.

Nov 25, 2017, 12:24 PM

T proved last week he will fight for 50/50 balls more than
Cain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2017, 11:17 AM

herbstreit is wishy washy. first of the year he said clemson was the best team in college football now he says we are not balance and south carolina can beat us. i'm beginning to not Lensen to anything he says anymore.

Nov 25, 2017, 2:43 PM

You do realize it's possible for things to change throughout the season, yes? KB definitely impressed much more as a passer at the beginning of the season. He's not throwing the ball nearly as well recently. We know the potential is there, but we haven't seen it much since September ended.

Nov 25, 2017, 11:25 AM

Definitely a valid concern, not just for this game but for larger aspirations moving forward. No doubt that is one of the reasons we aired it out last week — we needed to give KB some confidence and fine tune things a bit with the passing attack. We’re a good team because of our running attack and defense, but if we want a chance at another title game appearance, we’ll need to be able to stretch defenses moving forward. KB was doing that at the start of the year, so we know he can do it... he just needs to get back to doing it consistently.

Nov 25, 2017, 12:28 PM

Unless The U puts on about 30 lbs per player up the middle of
their D this week TnT will have career highs rushing next week.
Pitts O line re- established the line of scrimage about 4 yards down
field every play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2017, 11:27 AM

He’s basing this on the last few games where we haven’t been able to sustain long drives. Less citadel. He’s mostly right. Fla st game no offense drive over what- 40 yrds.

They got to try and create drama too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely valid points by Herbstreit***

Nov 25, 2017, 12:20 PM

Nov 25, 2017, 12:31 PM

Herbe, Tigers balance is fine. We'll get the rhythm of the long balk and that will upset the balance we have.now. Look at the stats you so called expert.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2017, 3:07 PM

I'm pretty sure he has been looking at the stats. If you look at KB's start (not including Kent St), he averaged 7.6 yards per pass attempt, but that's dropped down to 5.9 in the second half of the season (not including Citadel). Our PPG has also dropped from 31.5 in the first four games to 29 in the last 5 (again, not including Kent St or Citadel in any of this).

While at first glance those numbers don't necessarily jump off the page, a 2.5 PPG drop isn't massively significant and -1.7 YPA isn't great but it's not the end of the world, it's important to look at the difference in competition. We started off with Auburn, Virginia Tech, and BC & Louisville...that's a better lineup than Wake, Syracuse, GT, NC State & FSU. Not only that, but it's expected that an offense will start slow and progress as the year goes on, so to see offensive statistics regressing, especially as we played lower competition, is troubling.

It's certainly not the end of the world, but between the stat sheets and the eye test, there's reason for some concern offensively.

He's partly right. But I think the reason KB isn't making

Nov 25, 2017, 12:52 PM

the deep ball is because of our poor pass protection. THAT is what concerns me the most on offense. It is our weakness. I remember earlier in the year Dabo or someone commented that ETN did not start because although he can run like the wind, he struggles with pass protection plays. But then ETN blew up and has far more snaps now and I wonder how much of the pocket collapsing is from his blocking. All I know is KB is not getting his 3 seconds on many plays where DW4 had another full second. And I don't know if it's ETN or not, but our pass protection is not good enough to allow the long pass.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2017, 2:06 PM

I worry about negative thoughts which aren't true:)

Nov 25, 2017, 3:19 PM

He is exactly right if you take out the Citadel and Kent st our O production drops a good bit .
The one thing is we haven't had to be great on O as long as the Tiger D stays dominate.
But if we are to win 4 more game KB and Co will have to step up and help a little more.

Herbstreit makes Capt Obvious comment

Nov 25, 2017, 6:22 PM

Dabo is betting Clemson can win even with limited QB ability - because the rest of team is just so talented.It's a bet Dabo's won so far except SYR when KB should not have started. And Dabo knows it and would like that one back. But no worries, Clemson still in playoff game.

Clemson can avoid that problem if HJ plays some.

Nov 25, 2017, 6:55 PM

Having some series with HJ will force SC to cover deep.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic