Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Herbstreit: Bryant will have to pass well "Only way they win"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

TNET: Herbstreit: Bryant will have to pass well "Only way they win"

Dec 28, 2017, 8:22 AM

Herbstreit: Bryant will have to pass well "Only way they win"

No. 1 ranked Clemson will face No. 4 Alabama in the Allstate Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. This will be the third consecutive yea Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be can say they same about Jalen Hurts***

Dec 28, 2017, 8:40 AM

Hurts is a terrible, it’s a given he can’t do anything passing***

Dec 28, 2017, 9:37 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That terrible gave his team the lead with 2:09 left to go in

Dec 28, 2017, 9:41 AM

the National Championship game, and it took our all time best player to beat him. I would not discount his abilities in a big game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That terrible gave his team the lead with 2:09 left to go in

Dec 28, 2017, 10:11 AM

But he did not do it with his arm. KB runs just as well , if not better, than Hurts.

I don't necessarily disagree with Herbie, but...

Dec 28, 2017, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Be can say they same about Jalen Hurts*** ]

What does Jalen Hurts have to do for Alabama to win, Kirk?

Typical ESecPN announcer... only presenting one side of the story.

If Bama forces Clemson to throw, Bryant has to be effective. That's like saying humans need air to breathe in order to live.

If Clemson stops Bama's running game, Herbie, what does Hurts have to do? Duh?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Herbie...Yada, Yada, Yada!

Dec 28, 2017, 8:40 AM

We've heard that Trash All Year! Still, We've Got You Covered Mr Buckie!

Signed: KelleyB

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please come up with something NEW

Dec 28, 2017, 8:45 AM

Same Ole Same Ole
Only way to win?? Always so disrespectful. Besides, we can win in a lotta ways!
I'm personally looking for a big game from our Special Teams

Re: Please come up with something NEW

Dec 28, 2017, 8:50 AM

This is ridiculous. We have to be the only fan base to bittch and complain literally Everytime an analyst does his job... Not one thing he said was disrespectful. He's right, Kelly is gonna have to perform well thru the air for us to win, wouldn't say it's the only way we can win but it's a very big part.

What he said was actually pretty generic for ANY team

Dec 28, 2017, 8:58 AM

with a dual threat QB running the spread. I see no disrespect there.

Saban is nobody's dummy when it comes to defensive planning. He can see on film that KB is a special talent running the ball, and that we have more explosive backs than last year, so he is going to stack the box to eliminate KB runs, as well as trying to stuff the runs from TNT. So, yes, we are going to have to prove to him that we can pass the ball effectively to win. He will force us into that. But, once we do it, (and we WILL do it successfully) advantage us.

We win by TEN with ETN!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What he said was actually pretty generic for ANY team

Dec 28, 2017, 10:14 AM

Ditto for 'Bama. Clemson will stack it and force Jalen Hurts to throw.

Dec 28, 2017, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Re: Please come up with something NEW ]

Exactly. Some complain about absolutely everything.

Dec 28, 2017, 9:31 AM

And some complain about people complaining, it's a vicious cycle.

"I'm fat because I eat, and I eat because I'm fat. It's a

Dec 28, 2017, 9:38 AM

vicious cycle."
Fat Bas-tard - "Austin Powers in Goldmember"

Message was edited by: 76er®

Message was edited by: 76er®

Dec 28, 2017, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Please come up with something NEW ]

Eh, I see what you're saying, but at the same time it is sort of disrespectful of our defense, TnT, and our O-line to say the only way we can win is if we pass the ball.

LSU, Miss State, and Auburn all rushed for 150+ on Bama's defense, a rarity under Saban. For reference, the last two years Bama gave up below a 70 yard per game average on the ground. This year they are giving up about 95.

So, while we certainly aren't the same team without DW4, it's pretty disrespectful to say the only way we can win is passing the ball, inferring we aren't "tough enough" to run it on Bama's D.

Re: TNET: Herbstreit: Bryant will have to pass well "Only way they win"

Dec 28, 2017, 8:52 AM

I have to disagree, teams have been able to run the ball on Bama's defense. KB won't have to throw the ball to win the game.

He's 100% correct. That's not a dig, it's the truth.

Dec 28, 2017, 9:01 AM

If Watson would have been off on his passing last year Clemson would have lost by three TD's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson faced a better Bama defense, and didn’t have as good of oline...

Dec 28, 2017, 9:40 AM

as we do this year. Bama has gotten weak on the run, while we have gotten better with running the ball

Re: He's 100% correct. That's not a dig, it's the truth.

Dec 28, 2017, 10:15 AM [ in reply to He's 100% correct. That's not a dig, it's the truth. ]

And if Scarface didn't run for two first half tds, 'Bama would have lost by three tds. If, if , if.

Dec 28, 2017, 9:15 AM

The same can be said for Jalen Hurts, Mayfield, and Fromm. Where would Oklahoma be if Mayfield did not make good throws.

The implication of Herbstreit's message seems to be that KB will have play better than ever for Clemson to win; to make throws that he has not made before. And, therein, lies the "disrespect" for our program.

People, including analysts, have to realize that we don't have to do anything unusual to win - even against Alabama - we are just that good.

Kelly Bryant has had a few bad games throwing the ball

Dec 28, 2017, 9:18 AM

though. You know what you are going to get from Baker Mayfield. If he has a bad game it's probably because his OL is getting destroyed. He's not going to just show up and make a bunch of terrible throws.

Re: Kelly Bryant has had a few bad games throwing the ball

Dec 28, 2017, 10:18 AM

We do know that the Baker wasn't cooking in the second half against Clemson two years ago. Put enough pressure on any qb and you can force errant throws and fumbles.

Excellent Point about Saban

Dec 28, 2017, 9:27 AM

Forcing KB to throw ball may just be his strategy.
However, field position in our favor, turnovers, their inability to move the ball, are all possible variables that could impact his strategy. And we Do have big run play capability. And we do have big play YAC ability. My point is that at this point to say we MUST throw the ball WELL to beat Alabama is conceding that we will not dominate other facets of the game and is hence Disrespectful.

I agree but I wasn't quite as polite.***

Dec 28, 2017, 11:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nonsense ... Clemson can win a 6-3 SEC type slugfest ... no

Dec 28, 2017, 9:30 AM

problem

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same can be said for Hurts about Bama's chances***

Dec 28, 2017, 9:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2017, 9:32 AM

Completion PercentageLast updated - December 28, 2017 Through games of December 27, 2017

RANK NAME TEAM CL POSITION G PASS COM PASS ATT PCT
1 Baker Mayfield Oklahoma Sr. QB 13 262 369 .710
2 Mckenzie Milton UCF So. QB 12 249 360 .692
3 Jake Browning Washington Jr. QB 12 212 308 .688
4 Kelly Bryant Clemson Jr. QB 13 244 362 .674

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/755
Well its a good thing this^^^^^^^^

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2017, 10:21 AM

The Baker plays in a #### poor defensive conference. KB would light up teams like OSU, Texas Tech, Baylor, West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas and KSU.

Na doesn’t even it out. Bama’s run defense is weaker this year...

Dec 28, 2017, 9:36 AM

And Jalen Hurts has regressed

Re: Na doesn’t even it out. Bama’s run defense is weaker this year...

Dec 28, 2017, 10:56 AM

I think another thing some are underestimating is how good Clemson's run defense has been against running backs. Outside of run heavy option GT, not one team had a running back get over 100 yds vs Clemson this season.

Re: Na doesn’t even it out. Bama’s run defense is weaker this year...

Dec 28, 2017, 1:50 PM

That's a good stat to have, but at the same time with Bama having a running QB it doesn't tell much. That also doesn't take into account teams that use multiple RBs like we do.

Hmmmm - conventional wisdom! Another scenario has ...

Dec 28, 2017, 9:38 AM

KB, Tavien and Travis getting some big plays with their legs. A few scrambles, pop the LOS several times, some grinding and a few screens.

Down field passing may open as a result of getting Bama’s safeties involved in stopping the run and short passing game. Hitting the downfield throws will undoubtably be a huge boost. But I am not sold that we can’t grind it out against Bama.

Re: Hmmmm - conventional wisdom! Another scenario has ...

Dec 28, 2017, 10:13 AM

Everybody, we dance with the team that got us here. Dabo and company may put in a few wrinkles, but we will continue to do what we do best until the elephants prove they can stop it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2017, 10:02 AM

I also think KB is going to need to throw the ball well for us to win. But I don’t think that means he has to throw the ball deep. Short passes to TNT or Ray Ray in the flats are high percentage and these guys can turn the short throws into huge gains. He has also thrown the 7 yard hitch route to Deon very well this year. I think the key will be the short passing game and the yards after catch from our WR and RB talents. Spreads the field too which will open up the conventional running game. Force Bama to pick their poison. Kinda like playing high/low on the basketball court. They can’t defend inside and outside. Can’t wait to get to the Big Easy!
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

15 for 15 to start ACCCG...

Dec 28, 2017, 10:21 AM

... I think we’ll be okay.

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 28, 2017, 11:12 AM

Yeah, our o-line is going to have to block, our RBs are going to have to hold on to the ball, our coaching staff is going to have to make good choices in play calling, our waterboys are going to have to do their jobs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2017, 11:27 AM

There is no “I” in team. It will take everyone and I have no doubt we will prevail. Go Tigers!!!

Cain and Higgins both catch long TD passes.

Dec 28, 2017, 11:50 AM

After that happens we will run all over them too.

We have to have balance to win

Dec 28, 2017, 12:51 PM

We have weapons all over the field. The real key for KB & the coaches, is to make the correct calls against a defense that likes to disguise coverage. They have very good athletes on the back end.

I don't think their front 7 is as good as last year, so that can be an edge.

My biggest fear, other than our FG kicker?

What if Bama installs a hurry up offense? That's what really gives us trouble. Brent likes to see formations before making defensive calls. If Bama lines quick, and has scripted plays, we get confused on defense. I know that's not Saban's style, but expect the unexpected.

You never know.

Re: We have to have balance to win

Dec 28, 2017, 1:33 PM

Herbie just going off the stereotype off the differing offenses.

Bama’s style is such that their QB and receivers can have an off day, and they’re still mostly able to do what they want to do.

If our QB and/or WR aren’t feeling it, we probably struggle. Can we still win? Sure but it’s not winning with the offense we practice.

Spread teams are naturally going to rely on the QB more. And that’s a good thing for us. It’s why we get players like Watson and Lawrence. They want to play in a system that features a QB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 28, 2017, 3:32 PM

Like most here, I don’t think there is anything disrespectful at all in what Herbie said. For us to win, Bryant is going to have to pass well. At least we’ll enough to keep Bama from stacking the box against the run. That doesn’t mean he is going to have to put in a DW type passing game, he just has to keep the Bama honest and IMO they aren’t nearly as stout against the run this year as last. Can he do it, yes I think he absolutely will and that will allow the Tiger backs to have a good day.

The exact same can be said of Bama. Hurts is going to have to have a good day passing for them to stand a chance against the Tiger D and keep them from teeing off on him and theirbrun game. Can the Tiger D hold him in check and contain the Bama backs, yes I believe they will.

Tigers by 7 in a hard fought slugfest.

Herbie's been Mr. Flip Flop all year.***

Dec 28, 2017, 5:28 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 28, 2017, 5:48 PM

To Vegas....They are the dogs in this game....I love it, Seems they play best when Vegas makes them the dogs!!! Go Tigers!! Prove the fools wrong....again!!!! They were dogs against Ohio State and Bama last year, how did that work out for them???

Dec 28, 2017, 6:13 PM

Herbstreit is the best analyst out there, bar none. It doesn't mean he's always right, but it is an opinion not to be dismissed. There is no secret to defending Clemson -- Alabama will bring eight up tight to the box and try to shut down both running and the short passing game and get to Bryant before he can feel comfortable going deep. But everybody does that. Their problem becomes Clemson can this year run off the edge as well as between the tackles, meaning one has to defend them side to side, end to end. That is very hard to do for anybody, Alabama included. We probably won't see another 500 yard, 35-40 point game from either team, and Alabama has its passing problems as well. This is easily the championship game, and Oklahoma-Georgie are just pretending. Maybe somebody will make the committee 'splain itself when it is all over, because Alabama is not the 4th horse in this race. But a heavyweight game, and turnovers decide it.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic