Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Former NFL GM sees potential 'perfect storm' of Swinney, Lawrence going pro together
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

TNET: Former NFL GM sees potential 'perfect storm' of Swinney, Lawrence going pro together

Aug 31, 2020, 12:58 PM

Former NFL GM sees potential 'perfect storm' of Swinney, Lawrence going pro together

Former Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum sees a potential "perfect storm" for the Jacksonville Jaguars that would heavily involve Clemson. The scenario? The Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NFL? What is that?***

Aug 31, 2020, 1:05 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NFL? What is that?***

Aug 31, 2020, 6:37 PM

NFL, worse than being the coach for the Coots in Columbia, just ask Spurrier.
Dabo can stay at Clemson and be a College Football Legend when he retires.
Like Bear Bryant, Bobby Bowden, Bud Wilkinson, Saban, etc....
He can get the best players and coaches in the Nation, and develop them to move on or come back to Clemson!
As long as the Clemson Nation has Dabo's back, he will stay in God's Country for years.

Re: don’t see it

Aug 31, 2020, 7:02 PM

But could be wrong. I think Dabo is similar to Coach K in regards to this issue. Coach K was offered the Lakers job years ago and could have made any amount he wanted. Chose to stay at Duke. Dabo is similar in many regards. I sincerely can’t see this happening. Last NFL game I went to, it’s just not the same. Sort of a trashy atmosphere if you ask me. And not exactly getting better. Boring people if you ask me. Love seeing college kids and the spirit they bring. I would much rather be around a college program.

Saban & Muschamp the sources for this story ?

Old dave at ncsu pushing this too.

Re: Saban & Muschamp the sources for this story ?

Aug 31, 2020, 2:13 PM

Notso Smart could also be in on it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Saban & Muschamp the sources for this story ?

Aug 31, 2020, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Saban & Muschamp the sources for this story ? ]

Yep, I would almost bet if I was gambler, and I'm not bc I have a better use for my money than risking it to another gambler. But I can see the college coaches that we continue to beat down, them calling NFL owners and GM's telling them how they would bet that Dabo would make a great NFL HC. They know if Dabo was to take the bait, that their college careers would be over if Dabo failed in the NFL and came back to the college level. BUT, I really don't think Dabo is that stupid, and why would he bc, he makes as much money as most NFL coaches do, and as he has said, he can sign more than one #1 player in college, and the NFL can only afford to purchase one of those culebra players, and winning NFL teams can't stay on top bc if they try and the owner isn't a multiple billionaire, he would go bankrupt with trying to pay high profile players. I don't think that there is any worry about Dabo leaving Clemson for an NFL HC job!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Former NFL GM sees potential 'perfect storm' of Swinney, Lawrence going pro together

No chance. Dabo doesn’t want to deal with all the divas and political drama surrounding the NFL and their players. Only next step is away from coaching altogether.

Re: TNET: Former NFL GM sees potential 'perfect storm' of Swinney, Lawrence going pro together

Aug 31, 2020, 1:13 PM

I personally don't see Dabo leaving Clemson for the NFL or anywhere, but what makes you so sure he'd be so against coaching in the NFL? This is a quote from him a few years ago:

“I’m very happy where I am and I’m very happy coaching college football,” Swinney said a few months ago. “The great thing about college players is a chance to really build young men, on and off the field. But the NFL is great. I love the NFL. I would never say never. But right now, I’m a college coach.”

Also, is the NFL not made up of players who played in college? At what point do they stop being quality young men and start being divas? I'm not saying the NFL doesn't have any divas, but I wouldn't say that most players are either. Which recent Clemson players have turned into divas in the NFL for instance?

Serious ? "At what point do they stop being quality young

Aug 31, 2020, 1:52 PM

men and start being divas?"

Uhhhhhh - at the point they almost instantly have more money in their bank account than most of us will ever see in our lifetime cumulative.

And sure - that is the top level guys - but they ALL make a ton of money that make it MUCH harder to mold & shape them - which is where our guy is incredible and it is where he apparently gets his fulfillment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Serious ? "At what point do they stop being quality young

Aug 31, 2020, 7:22 PM

So is Deshaun Watson a diva now because he’s rich?

You keep up with him on social media ? Is he more like a

Aug 31, 2020, 11:21 PM

Warrick Dunn Habitat for Humanity guy or a diva ???

Who knows ? I’ve never met the guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Aug 31, 2020, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former NFL GM sees potential 'perfect storm' of Swinney, Lawrence going pro together ]

A few months ago the atmosphere in pro sports was not as politically charged as it is now. Dabo has a secure job that he likes. I don't see him wanting to leave it for that kind of atmosphere.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Aug 31, 2020, 7:24 PM

So what’s different about the political atmosphere in the NFL now compared to a few months ago, or even a few years ago?

Aug 31, 2020, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former NFL GM sees potential 'perfect storm' of Swinney, Lawrence going pro together ]

I think that Dabo will be connected to college FB in some way until he is put in the ground bc I believe that he truly cares about developing young men into men as much and probably more than he loves coaching FB, and he can't do that as a full time NFL HC. Like I've already said, Dabo will never coach NFL FB!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would he go to that ######## in JVille? They just waived

Aug 31, 2020, 1:08 PM

their Top 4 pick from 3 years ago...He was still on his f-ing rookie deal! Why wouldn't Dabo wait for a much better offer? Tannebaum is an idiot

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why would he go to that ######## in JVille? They just waived

Aug 31, 2020, 1:28 PM

Yeah. A former Jets GM. Given his success rate in New York, I wouldn't pay a whole lot of attention to what Oh Tannenbum has to say.

Re: Why would he go to that ######## in JVille? They just waived

Aug 31, 2020, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Why would he go to that ######## in JVille? They just waived ]

Dabo isn't interested in any NFL Head Coaching offer, period!!! He has it made at Clemson, and he is making more money at little ole Clemson than most NFL head coaches make. And Dabo could if he wanted to, take the Job AT Bama, and make more than Clemson could afford to pay him. And knowing that, and knowing that your job has everything to do with being satisfied where you work, and being satisfied with the amount of money you're making. So far, Dabo is satisfied with both at Clemson!!!!

Its funny how yankees view the NFL vs College

Aug 31, 2020, 1:20 PM

They don't understand how anyone could put college football over the Pros. But when you get down south you can't understand why anyone would waste a sunday on the pro's (other than following your Fantasy Football stats). In my mind its college at #1 and high school and pro's tied at #2. High school may have a slight edge in the south though.

It almoooost sounds like they put a higher emphasis on the

Aug 31, 2020, 1:29 PM

better players playing at their physical peak...Silly yankees right?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what does that matter? NBA finals vs Final Four? not even

Aug 31, 2020, 5:01 PM

in the same ballpark.

Re: what does that matter? NBA finals vs Final Four? not even

Aug 31, 2020, 5:36 PM

Seriously, I would watch the NCAA final 4 long before I would even consider watching the NBA playoffs!!! In fact, I would rather watch college FB and college Basketball over either of those two pro sports!!!

Message was edited by: allinallorangeallthetime52®

As a yankee let me try and explain it to you...

Aug 31, 2020, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Its funny how yankees view the NFL vs College ]

Pro sports, particulary football was a working man thing. Men got to hang out on Sundays and drink beer without the wives. In the 60's and 70's it was prime, hang out with the guy's, male bonding activity. If you were close to Philadelphia, NY, Pittsburgh, etc., then you went to the games. Tailgating was pulling up in a car already half tanked and then the real drinking began. You could travel to watch you team play in NY or Philadelphia and you rooted for your team but if you talked trash, someone was gonna throw you a beatin.

If you watched the games at home during the 60's and 70's, the men watching them took it pretty serious. They did cry about penalties. They wanted to see clean hard hits. These were guys that didn't go for spiking the football after touchdowns.

If guys were college football fans they were most likely Notre Dame fans because they were catholic. No guys bought season tickets to Penn State games unless you were an alumni. And then you went with the women folk. Now Penn State football is big time, and so was Pitt, Syracause and so was Maryland to so extent. Penn State tailgating in the 70's and 80's rivaled anything you see down south. It was just a lot colder in the winter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Re: As a yankee let me try and explain it to you...

Aug 31, 2020, 6:40 PM

In the '60s and '70's, one would have to travel 50 miles outside of the city to watch a home game- blackout rule wasn't changed until 1976. I did this with my dad a couple of times. I distinctly remember watching Gayle Sayers running wild against the Giants at Yankee Stadium in 1965. He was amazing. Those were the days of heroes- Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Fran Tarkenton, Don Meredith, Bart Starr, Y.A. Tittle, Lenny Moore, Sayers, to name a few. And then there were the monsters liken Ray Nitschke, Sam Huff, Deacon Jones, #### Butkis, Bob Lilly, Willie Wood, Mel Renfro. And of course, the fledgling AFL. Most of us just looked down our noses at them until Joe Willie decided to rearrange our noses. :)

Aug 31, 2020, 1:21 PM

The thing about people in the league or people who have been in the league is they think people come running at any chance to be a part of it. The comparison of Dabo to Pete Carroll is easily the worst case he could have made. Carroll the cheater fled USC one step ahead of probation and had been in the league before and washed out so it was a way for him to try it again.

Aug 31, 2020, 1:29 PM

Sttttaaaaaaahhhhhhhppppppp!!!!!!!!!

^^^ This

Aug 31, 2020, 5:28 PM

is an underrated post.

Only if society continues to gut college football. Swinney

Aug 31, 2020, 1:32 PM

Swinney is not cut out for the professional game.

His outlooks, his beliefs, his culture are all in conflict with what is happening in professional sports.

As you say, society seems dead set on professionalizing

Aug 31, 2020, 1:47 PM

college football by paying the players. So, I could easily see Dabo making the jump to the real Pros at the point all those changes become reality.

Due to that, along with this pandemic, WE MAY HAVE ALREADY SEEN our last year of traditional college football. :(

Maybe but I truly believe

Aug 31, 2020, 6:47 PM

Many on this bandwagon, whether it is head injuries or paying players, are just trying to destroy college football period. It’s always a slow fade but you can see it if you recognize those in charge of colleges/universities. Sadly, I think they will win within 10-15 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2020, 1:43 PM

For what its worth: I couldn't see Dabo moving into a role like that. Not because of his talent but because he is Great in what he would probably see as his primary role, building young men into better,true men. At the same time developing humility, character and keeping players grounded. His role on this side of the game I would think is a stronger influence than it would be at the next level. As another poster said there are a lot of divas on the next level.

Aug 31, 2020, 1:48 PM

Hmmmm....what is average salary of NFL coach....2 to 3 million?
Dabo dealing with kids and their families...( awesome)
Pros deal with agents( negative)
Dabo lives in wonderful quiet area
Most pro teams in cities with potential violence
He has A CLEMSON FAMILY!
Average pro seating capacity 70,000....different kinda crowd...
Dabo*s system well established for the long term
Good food around here too...great golf...nice lakes..great fishing..hunting...

Aug 31, 2020, 1:54 PM

I just don’t see Dabo being happy in the No Fun League.

Aug 31, 2020, 1:58 PM

Even six months ago I'd have thought this was insane. However now that college players are going to get paid (which will put Clemson at a huge recruiting disadvantage they didn't have before) and Dabo is going to have to pretend to be distraught every time a criminal gets shot by a cop, I could easily see him either retire from coaching or take a huge NFL payday and leave the recruiting to the college teams with much deeper pockets. Once he starts losing recruits to the usual suspects and settles back into winning 9-10 games a season with no real shot at a NC, the life of being a college coach won't be nearly as glamourous as it has been the last few years. He does have it made here but even the natives will grow restless after a few three or four loss seasons.

Aug 31, 2020, 3:21 PM

I don’t believe that coach Swinney needs to prove to anyone that he can coach in the NFL. Certainly not to himself.

Aug 31, 2020, 2:05 PM

Dabo isn't going anywhere. Trevor will but where?

Aug 31, 2020, 4:32 PM

I don’t see Dabo leaving for pros. I can see him leaving Clemson in this climate today. Wouldn’t surprise me if he were to step down to a division ll or lll school.

Dabo is a man of Faith...

Aug 31, 2020, 4:58 PM

One of the main reasons he likes working with the College age crowd is that he can reach out to them with the message of salvation. I can't see him happy in a Godless NFL where he will not be allowed to honor God as he does now. To a true man of God being able to share his faith is bigger than any paycheck. The good Lord has blessed all of us with this man.

Aug 31, 2020, 5:13 PM

Dabo is too smart to get caught up in a League that is bent on destroying itself from with in.And he certainly doesn't need the money.
Now,if I were a betting man,and I'm not,I'd be more inclined to placing a bet on Dabo replacing Saban before he goes to the Pros!

For anyone who watched Hard Knocks with the Jets several years ago

Aug 31, 2020, 5:20 PM

Tannenbaum was the GM then. He is a complete Bufoon! This guy can’t string 2 sentences together.

Re: For anyone who watched Hard Knocks with the Jets several years ago

Aug 31, 2020, 5:23 PM

“Buffoon”

Re: For anyone who watched Hard Knocks with the Jets several years ago

Aug 31, 2020, 6:46 PM [ in reply to For anyone who watched Hard Knocks with the Jets several years ago ]

He was lucky to string two wins together.

You can rise very high in an organization

Aug 31, 2020, 5:26 PM

and still be clueless when you step out of your area of expertise... I say hoping he doesn't know something that I don't know.

We don’t really need either one of those bums

Aug 31, 2020, 5:40 PM

after about 2045.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not so fast

Aug 31, 2020, 5:45 PM

I don’t believe for a second that Dabo would go to the NFL any time soon.
GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh boy.....here we go again.

Aug 31, 2020, 6:43 PM

??

Well, Dabo may not say it, but I will: NEVER!

Aug 31, 2020, 8:39 PM

(please!)

I hope Dabo stays in Tiger Town until he retires.

"But I always say 'never say never.'"

Bingo. Dabo’s got it figured out. He ain’t going nowhere.

Aug 31, 2020, 9:47 PM

Run along, Muschimp and Saban with your goofy story leaks that don’t hunt.

Roar Tigers

Perhaps this is why he is a "Former"***

Sep 1, 2020, 7:12 AM

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic