Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program

Feb 13, 2019, 2:56 PM

Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program

Former Clemson defensive tackle Josh Belk reportedly will be leaving the South Carolina football program. Mike Uva of WACH Fox 57 in Columbia first reported the Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program

Feb 13, 2019, 3:10 PM

If true, a tough break for the kid. I hated he left our team and though not sorry he can't play for sc, hate for anyone that young to break a vertebrae to possibly end their career.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well. he could have played for the tigers and won a natty.

Feb 13, 2019, 3:12 PM

I believe in karma.

Re: well. he could have played for the tigers and won a natty.

Feb 13, 2019, 7:23 PM

Geez, the kid decided for whatever reason that he wanted or needed to play somewhere else, it’s not like the crime of the century. Your response then is to say he deserved a potential career ending injury?

Re: well. he could have played for the tigers and won a natty.

Feb 13, 2019, 9:13 PM [ in reply to well. he could have played for the tigers and won a natty. ]

If u believed in karma, u would be nicer. I believe in grace... And depend on it from God and the people who know me.

His claim, not theirs.

Feb 13, 2019, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program ]

If true, they're on the hook for a medical hardship scholarship

only of he wants to remain in school and earn his degree***

Feb 13, 2019, 3:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Do they haul their horses with Peterbilts?***

Feb 13, 2019, 7:28 PM

null

Message was edited by: Spud®

Feb 13, 2019, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program ]

A fractured vertebrae is in no way a career-ending injury. It likely doesn't even involve surgery...just a few months of rest for the pain to go away. Depending on pain tolerance and exact location of the injury, some players even choose to play through the injury.

His departure from Clemson and now this sounds like a kid looking for excuses to quit football. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with football not being a passion for someone, even if they do possess the talent. You just have to worry that he won't end up regretting this choice, especially if he never ends up getting a college degree.

Feb 13, 2019, 4:05 PM

We have no idea about the details of the cracked vertabrae. He could have some structural abnormality that make something such as that more dangerous for him; he could have low bone density... who knows.

have you ever been over 300 lbs and had back problems?***

Feb 13, 2019, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program ]

A fractured vertebrae is in no way a career-ending injury. It likely doesn't even involve surgery...just a few months of rest for the pain to go away. Depending on pain tolerance and exact location of the injury, some players even choose to play through the injury.

His departure from Clemson and now this sounds like a kid looking for excuses to quit football. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with football not being a passion for someone, even if they do possess the talent. You just have to worry that he won't end up regretting this choice, especially if he never ends up getting a college degree.

Yah. No doubt. Granted a fractured vertebrae is no joke and not something to take lightly but it is a thing that somebody who wanted to play through would likely play through.

He had the ability...but everything everybody saw from him at Clemson was, he had absolutely zero desire. He just didn't seem to want to be there...on the field, in the weight room, in college in general. Which was why Clemson just opened their hands and let him go, and why nobody I know thought he was going to work out at Carolina either.

If you don't want it, you don't want it.

Feb 13, 2019, 6:25 PM

Yep... sad to see this situation. Whether truly hurt or couldn’t get along with the team it stinks for the kid. I know he quit on Clemson but chalk it up to young and dumb. He seems to get along with our team just fine evidenced by him coming back for visits. Bring him back in some manner to let him get a degree if he seeks it out. Maybe he grew up from this and he did seem to enjoy his teammates here.

No way we should bring him back so he gets a degree.

Feb 13, 2019, 11:37 PM

Let it go to someone deserving, that wants to be Clemson grad, and will appreciate the opportunity. He left, he can live with his choices.

I see that most assume that Belk’s fracture is a simple fracture

Feb 15, 2019, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program ]

Or, never had a serious back injury. The last thing I wanted to do was to come off like I was defending this kid. BUT, without an MRI to get a diagnosis, (which we do have-fractured vertebrae), degree of fracture, impacted soft tissue surrounding vertebrae, impacted nerve, disc space, and spinal cord space, and finally prognosis. We have a partial prognosis because it’s serious enough to quit football. I have had three back operations, and know what true suffering is. I know what a fractured vertebrae can do to disc space, causing the disc to herniate. It constricts the spinal cord, cutting off signal from the brain to the legs, bladder, and several other nightmarish areas no one EVER wants to experience. Not being able to control any part of your body is some of the scariest moments of your life. Even after the surgery, the damage remains from the force of the disc herniation, and restriction of the spinal cord, and nerve roots. My left leg and foot stay numb almost constantly. When my back flares up, starting a urine stream can be almost impossible. All from a simple fractured disc. I fell 3ft! The Dr told me he’s seen worse from people bending over to tie their shoes. I walked with a walker for 6 months, and a cane for 3 years. I’ve been off walking assistance for 7 years. I got lucky. But, I lived on pain meds for almost 10 years. I got so sick of taking them. I finally just threw my hands up and decided I was going to take ibuprofen & aspirin. I’m not trying to defend Josh Belk. I was one of the guys that was chastising people for telling him:”you’ll always be a Tiger”. Nope. He’s not a Tiger. He’s a Gamecock. But, never assume that any back injury is “simple”! They can be a daily nightmare, for the rest of your life.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Former Clemson DT reportedly leaving Gamecocks program ]

It def can be and the risk of re-injury is extremely high. Depends on the details of his injury. I got a medical disqualification here at Clemson after the same issue. Slight lower back vertebrae fracture that resulted in disk herniation and degeneration. After 18 years its painful every day. Football and rings aren't everything.

Even though he left Clemson, let's wish the young man the best and hope he is in good health.

Jesse?***

Feb 13, 2019, 9:53 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 3:17 PM

Why do so many posters start their own thread on a topic when they can add to an existing one?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, fracturing a vertebrae is no joke

Feb 13, 2019, 3:18 PM

Hope the kid gets better.

Feb 13, 2019, 3:24 PM

Praying he makes a wise decision for his future. It’s a tough age and his struggle with weight is real. I pray he heals fully and walks in Gods will. I pray he will stay in school and graduate ??.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Hate to hear of a career ending injury happening to any

Feb 13, 2019, 3:36 PM

young man around his age. Wishing the best for him as he moves on from football.

More excuses

Feb 13, 2019, 5:56 PM

Dude is taking a cop out any way he can to avoid working hard. It’s a shame, but oh well.

Re: More excuses

Feb 13, 2019, 7:05 PM

Man, I have to agree. I see him leaving Clemson because it was real actual work and accountability. I think he wanted to just coast along with his donuts and hotdogs like high school and Carolina didn’t even accept that for his services... Kid is a soft, mushy freeloader.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 7:24 PM [ in reply to More excuses ]

So you’re saying he’s faking this injury?

Feb 13, 2019, 8:46 PM

If you are asking me, not sure how/where you inferred that. I said he is a lazy pos. Mike Williams BROKE his neck and is now a baller in the NFL. Belk is a child with excuses and a love of pork...

You comparing ANYBODY to Mike is unfair

Feb 14, 2019, 8:52 AM

99% of all athletes don't possess the drive or talent that he does. Guys like Shaquem Griffin are in the other 1%. You're faulting a kid that was in high school a little over a year ago for not being exactly like a professional? You are NOT a "pos" if you break your back and decide to stop doing the thing that broke your back, especially if you're only 19 years old.

And PLEASE stop acting like you grew up down the street from this kid. You don't know him, his family or anything about him. Keep your energy focused on players wearing orange.

Re: You comparing ANYBODY to Mike is unfair

Feb 14, 2019, 7:37 PM

I’ll see your TD and submit I have no idea what you are referencing with how I “act.” My opinion is just as relevant as yours... When did I accuse him of being a POS for breaking his back? My OPINION is he is a POS as a comparison to the thousands of student athletes that don’t quit on two teams in less than a year for an injury that could be recovered from. The word professional is also one I didn’t use. Maybe you should focus your energy on facts before responding when disagreeing, go ahead and TD again. We’ll keep this party going.

I’d wager the injury is as real as his sick

Feb 14, 2019, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: More excuses ]

mother. That is to say I don’t doubt it, but they are still cop outs.

Also, when was driving a truck good for people with back injuries?

Belk couldn’t fit in at Clemson or SCar because of his attitude and he didn’t want to put in the work to be a great player. That’s fine, but call it like it is.

Feb 14, 2019, 8:35 AM [ in reply to More excuses ]

Do you personally know him? Those are some pretty major assumptions that are likely biased because of his previous decision to leave Clemson.

Feb 13, 2019, 6:39 PM

It's a scary serious injury. Time for him to hang it up.

If you don’t take care of yourself no one else will. Wish him all the best***

Feb 13, 2019, 7:47 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Feb 13, 2019, 9:23 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised if he's playing for someone else next year.
Maybe lower division even.

"Sources say he couldn't get along with his [Gamecock]...

Feb 14, 2019, 12:26 AM

teammates."

Well he's got that going for him.

Feb 14, 2019, 7:00 AM

Sorry the young man has had physical issues, but sounds based on his history with us, that he may have attitude problems, I don’t know that and certainly hope it’s not the issue! I wish him the best!

Feb 14, 2019, 9:14 PM

He says he is going to drive a truck? I would like to see how a fat ### like him would get in and out of the truck.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic