Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: ESPN Playoff picks drop Clemson out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 1

TNET: ESPN Playoff picks drop Clemson out

Sep 30, 2018, 8:49 AM

ESPN Playoff picks drop Clemson out

Some uncertainty around Clemson football as we approach midseason has some of those sure College Football Playoff projections out the window. Saturday saw Dabo Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not surprised; however, wait for it: UGA, The OSU and ND

Sep 30, 2018, 8:52 AM

will all step into deep doodoo somewhere along the way.

We just have to make sure we don't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not surprised; however, wait for it: UGA, The OSU and ND

Sep 30, 2018, 8:53 AM

ND will lose to Syracuse. You heard it here first!

Sep 30, 2018, 9:27 AM

I agree. I think Cuse can give them a good game and make it close. ND defense is not that good.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Not surprised; however, wait for it: UGA, The OSU and ND ]

Chance ND loses this week at va tech but va tech may not have the D to stop ND.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure you're not the first on this board to say it. ;)***

Oct 4, 2018, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Not surprised; however, wait for it: UGA, The OSU and ND ]

. . and why we need Cuse, Tex A&M, BC, NCST 2 keep winning

Sep 30, 2018, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Not surprised; however, wait for it: UGA, The OSU and ND ]

We need Georgia Southern to keep winning too. The criticism some on TNET faced about this very thing was terrible. Guess some people don't get the fact; it may not be deemed enough even if we win out. They set that bar last year by putting in a Bama squad who did not even make their conference championship game. The icing on the cake and permanent sealer for the committee was the fact Bama went on to win it.

So, it's not conference cheering; it's "resume building" as far as I am concerned. Let's hope BC and NC ST are both ranked when we play them. Duke just lost to Va Tech so they won't be.

The Clemson name vs. keeping Georgia and Bama out? Georgia * Bama * Clemson * - any combination of Ohio St., ND-they will lose to SC, Oklahoma, Penn St., Washington. Oklahoma and Ohio St. don't play each other this year like the last two making for an elimination game. If both are undefeated in their conference plus the two SEC teams - will the committee have the guts to leave the SEC out? I don't think so!

Hope so! But, don't think so! We have to start winning and winning impressively.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: ESPN Playoff picks drop Clemson out

Sep 30, 2018, 8:53 AM

Adelson is a traitor. She's an ACC blogger.

Maybe the team will use that for motivation...

Sep 30, 2018, 8:55 AM

But, it's honest. This is not a playoff team currently.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are not a playoff team as of week 5 but

Sep 30, 2018, 9:04 AM

From what I saw yesterday, no one should doubt this team.

And I would only consider this a snapshot

Sep 30, 2018, 9:06 AM

More than true predictions.

And, being honest about it, UGA, OSU, OU, and of course Alabama would have slaughtered this team in the same situation.

We have a lot of work to do

After Oklahoma handed down the harshest penalty for the

Sep 30, 2018, 10:27 AM

starting QB for breaking teams rules. My goodness, he had to sit out one whole series!!
All these other teams need to pay attention to how Dabo disciplines his players, i.e., one game suspensions for a CB that plays about 1/2 the time and a 2nd string WR that also returns kickoffs. Just one more reason to love our coach!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After Oklahoma handed down the harshest penalty for the

Sep 30, 2018, 10:31 AM

They are catering to that kid. He could bounce with that huge baseball contract. Probably another diva QB. Playing it safe.

Riley doesn't seem to be much on discipline anyway

Re: And I would only consider this a snapshot

Sep 30, 2018, 11:17 AM [ in reply to And I would only consider this a snapshot ]

At the moment I like being on the outside looking in for the CFP slots! Motivation is critical and we seem to play better. Any loss would likely put us out based upon so many comparable teams in the top eight.

ND, LSU, UGa., Oklahoma, Ohio St., Clemson and Bama remain the best teams, but a number of deciding games remain on all our schedules. No doubt there will be upsets. I just hope TL comes back healthy for the long haul.

Go Tigers ??!!

Re: Maybe the team will use that for motivation...

Sep 30, 2018, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Maybe the team will use that for motivation... ]

Incredible game, great comeback under adversity that most other teams would have folded! I'm so wore out I can hardly type!That being said, I reluctantly agree. We need more of a threat with special teams. Other teams are on us at 10 yard line on kick offs and we can't catch a punt let a lone return?! Fortunately, the running game will put us in along with the defense. The running game will be the answer to beat Bama. Pound the ball and keep Tua on the sideline! One of those darlings of the press teams will stub their toe!

Sep 30, 2018, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Maybe the team will use that for motivation... ]

With our strength of schedule, we can't afford to have any losses. We only make the CFP with an undefeated record.

Syracuse was a much better team than last year. Their OL & DL are like Wichita St or Butler in basketball. They've played together for 3 straight years, and are well coached. Dino Babers will not last long at Syracuse, he's an outstanding coach. Their Special teams, and our turnovers were the only thing that kept that game close.

Our secondary is a big concern, we all know that.

I'm concerned with our DL. Word is that Dexter Lawrence is at full health. Watching the game live, he appeared to get pushed around. Was it just me?

I plan on watching the game again, to get a second look.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:17 AM

He was getting double and triple teamed all game. He has been all year

Minor detail, right...?***

Sep 30, 2018, 12:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Maybe the team will use that for motivation... ]

Fully agree this team is not playoff caliber yet. Starting slow and peaking late is Dabo’s MO- hopefully we will be more convincing late season.

Re: TNET: ESPN Playoff picks drop Clemson out***

Sep 30, 2018, 8:55 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: ESPN Playoff picks drop Clemson out***

Sep 30, 2018, 9:03 AM

I don’t know how ugly really is. Their “quality win” over usuc doesn’t seem so “quality “ now. It’s going to be interesting to watch the season unfold as they play A couple of fair teams on their way to a potential showdown with AL in the EsecPN championship game which they most likely will lose.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:01 AM

OU is nonsense. They're giving up like 30 pts a game against teams that aren't exactly high powered offenses and got taken to OT against Army, but we get dinged for having a close win against a 4-0 Cuse team with second (really third) string QB.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:39 AM

And a cuse team that should have been ranked coming in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only way for Uga and bama to both make the playoffs

Sep 30, 2018, 9:03 AM

is for one of them to have 1 loss only and not make it to the SEC championship game. That is highly unlikely. Kentucky is the only team statistically that can do that to Uga and Kentucky is not that good, they will lose another conference game. It the West LSU is the only team left that can statistically do it to Bama, that is so unlikely its not even funny.

We have to get better, there is no doubt. If the playoffs were tomorrow, we lose. But the playoffs aren't tomorrow.

Our secondary is the biggest problem. We just flat out do not have any depth.

Doesn't matter whose top 4 we are in at this point

Sep 30, 2018, 9:06 AM

It's simple, win and we're in. Rest will take care of itself. Someone will lose Bama/uga, Oklahoma/wbu, and OSU usually finds 1 game to crap the bed. no way 1 loss team gets in over undefeated power 5

Re: Doesn't matter whose top 4 we are in at this point

Sep 30, 2018, 9:08 AM

These rankings don't matter but the early committee rankings will. Nobody wants to be a 4 and probably face Bama with them having almost a month to prep.

I wouldn't mind bama first

Sep 30, 2018, 9:11 AM

It works both ways, if rather have extra time to prepare for them and play as close to full strength as possible

Sep 30, 2018, 9:07 AM

Always believe we can fight adversity just as we did yesterday.

UGA playing Fromm in the 4th and a bad run day
Can Book ignite the ND offense - he was not even in the first 2 games
Oklahoma yes
Ohio State should have lost against a dominating PSU for the majority of the game

I digress... not so fast ESPN.... Clemson is not going anywhere! Go Tigers!

That’s good the Tigers right now are not a top 4 team.
We have work to do in all aspects of the game .
The lucky thing is we are so talented that we keep winning.
Dabo will use this and come playoff time just like 2016 , they will be hungry.

Anyone who ranks ND in the top 4

Should be fired immediately.

It’s shaping up to be another year like the year they went to the BCS.

Are you serious? They have two wins against top 10 teams?

Sep 30, 2018, 9:35 AM

If Notre Dame shouldn't be in the top 4, we DEFINITELY shouldn't be.

People have to stop counting last year, or the previous year in this year's rankings.

Notre Dame has a MUCH better resume than we do.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are you serious? They have two wins against top 10 teams?

Sep 30, 2018, 9:47 AM

For now. In about a month and 1/2 if it’s still as impressed as u think it is now, I’ll eat crow. Stanford is way way overrated. What is the other top ten win? They barely skipped by miccagggan. A Michigan team that cuse would crush.

Those are the facts.

No, what I said are facts. You made a prediction.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:52 AM

If your prediction becomes a fact, then that will help us but we are relying on their SOS getting worse and ours getting better.

Re: No, what I said are facts. You made a prediction.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:02 AM

And I said I’ll gladly eat crap if that doesn’t bear out. As for cuse should have been ranked, i base that on comparison of other teams ranked 20-25. You could easily pick cuse over their resumes.

Should Michigan be 14? Exactly, we go through this every year. Teams that look good in September don’t look so good in November and vice versa.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Are you serious? They have two wins against top 10 teams? ]

Those are not facts the cuse had played nobody before us. Why should they have been ranked? Why would you think they beat N D ? Because they beat FSU lol give me a break

Sep 30, 2018, 10:04 AM

Go ahead and call me an idiot and a dumb #### hot garbage like you always do.

I will say this, Notre Dame's defense ranks in the bottom

Sep 30, 2018, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Are you serious? They have two wins against top 10 teams? ]

half of the NCAA Div 1, at #66 in yards allowed per game. Vandy put up 420 yards on offense in South Bend. Wake had 398 yards offense against ND.

ND can't keep doing that and win out. There are enough offenses better than Vandy and Wake on their remaining schedule for that to come back and bite them. It also wouldn't shock me if Va Tech beat them Saturday night in Blacksburg.

I've watched Stanford play three games this year, and they were ridiculously overrated after the turnover filled comeback over Oregon. Not to mention Bryce Love was hurt and had to leave the ND game. Love is the Stanford offense.

Re: I will say this, Notre Dame's defense ranks in the bottom

Sep 30, 2018, 10:41 AM

While he is a major part he has had help, with those big WRs and since they settled on that young QB half way through last season.

ND won't have a conference championship

Sep 30, 2018, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Are you serious? They have two wins against top 10 teams? ]

So SERIOUSLY, that will hurt them.

Tell that to last year's national champ.

Sep 30, 2018, 1:36 PM

Or tell that to Ohio State the year before.

The Playoff committee has thoroughly established that they will put non conference (or even division) champions above conference champions based on strength of schedule and the eye test.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:11 AM

I don't really care about now, I care about where we are at the end of the season. We will be a top four team when it counts and the naysayers can just scatter like rats in a barn fire! GO TIGERS!

Sep 30, 2018, 9:25 AM

The last thing any Tigers fan should worry about is what a bunch of talking heads think about the Playoff with the first month of the season being over. What did everyone say when Clemson struggled against Troy and losing to both Pitt and Syracuse. How many times over the past 3 years have the Tigers been doubted? It's football and Clemson has hardly played even close to a complete game. Just win is all they need to worry about. When have we had multiple Power 5 teams with no losses at seasons end? It very very very rarely happens so just win. Lawrence is going to get better with time and when the offense gets better so to will the defense take another step based solely on the fact that the offense isn't going 3 and out and putting them in bad spots. It's the cycle of a football season and Clemson fans we all know their are ebbs and flows during the season. Georgia has got LSU and Auburn left and then an SEC championship game heck I'll throw Kentucky in for poops and giggles. Not sure Ohio State will lose but don't trust Notre Dame at all and the way VT played against ODU I can see them coming out with fire to get some respect back like they did against Duke. Still a long long ways to go to give a crud what these idiots think. For me personally I thought this was one of Clemson's best wins in a long time. With everything they faced this week and during the game to come back in the 4th under those circumstances leaves me thinking its one of the best wins under Dabo. A long ways to go with a lot of big games to be played to worry about the Playoff. Let's get Lawrence healthy and back in GT form and let's start hammering some people.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:50 AM

Thank you, I knew you’d keep it in perspective!

Sep 30, 2018, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: ESPN Playoff picks drop Clemson out ]

Preach it Brother preach it !!!!!!

Unfortunately, I have to agree

Sep 30, 2018, 9:37 AM

We are not playing like one of the 4 best teams in the country right now. While Syracuse is a good team, they are not an OSU or GA quality team. The good news is that we have a schedule that can allow us to "peak" at the right time and make the CFP. Bad news is 'Bama is a beast this year.

Re: Unfortunately, I have to agree

Sep 30, 2018, 10:14 AM

Alabama, just like any other team, is not 100% invincible. At some point this season Alabama may be tested and/or face some kind of adversity. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part but he bottom line is I want the Tigers to have another shot at the national championship. If it's Alabama we play to get that crown, so be it. After watching the game against Syracuse I feel the sky is the limit for our Tigers! GO TIGERS, CRUSH WAKE!

Re: Unfortunately, I have to agree

Sep 30, 2018, 10:42 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately, I have to agree ]

Ohio State (and I'm a fan) looked pretty pedestrian against Penn State... they were lucky Penn State imploded. McSorley left, McSorely right, McSorely up the middle.... when it counted they got cute.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:41 AM

fortunately ESPN has no say in the section committee's process.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:42 AM

We need to establish a couple of things.
1. Chase is our second string Quarter Back.
2. Syracuse is a good team this year.
3. Syracuse has the perfect personnel set to match up to us.
4. We got a QUALITY win yesterday despite all the distractions.
5. The talk should be "Clemson defeated unbeaten Syracuse with a back up Quarterback."

Who is better?

Sep 30, 2018, 9:53 AM

Army...or Syracuse?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm telling you guys, winning out is not 100% that we are in

Sep 30, 2018, 9:50 AM

I still believe that if we win out we make it in, but one loss and we are definitely out.

Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Bama/UGA/LSU, Ohio State would go before us based on SOS alone. So we are relying on one of them losing. And we absolutely can't lose a single game.

Notre Dame is the only one we would have a chance of beating out, but that is ONLY if we end up with a couple of ranked teams on our schedule.

(If Colorado wins out [they won't] we would definitely go instead of them.)

Re: I'm telling you guys, winning out is not 100% that we are in

Sep 30, 2018, 9:56 AM

They would not send 2 from SEC over us.

Maybe not, but they wouldn't have to for us to be out.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:57 AM

Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and one SEC team adds up to 4 teams.

Re: Maybe not, but they wouldn't have to for us to be out.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:09 AM

^^^ he’s right, that’s exactly how easy it could happen ^^^.

That’s why it’s so much fun watching it every week.

Re: Maybe not, but they wouldn't have to for us to be out.

Sep 30, 2018, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Maybe not, but they wouldn't have to for us to be out. ]

Notre dame always gets clobbered when they play in championships. Especially teams coaches by Kelly. Alabama dismantled them last time.

Sep 30, 2018, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm telling you guys, winning out is not 100% that we are in ]

If bama and ga both win out and bama beats ga in sec champ game then 1 sec team is in, if ga beats bama in sec game then 2 sec teams are in. Its that simple. They will not keep bama out.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:55 AM [ in reply to I'm telling you guys, winning out is not 100% that we are in ]

I'm not buying that we're definitely out if we lose one.

I think three years in the playoffs earns us some benefit of the doubt.

Also, remember that our strength of schedule will include the best team in the Atlantic via the ACC championship game.

We'll be fine. Chase is plenty good enough to beat Weak Florist and Trevor is not going to be out more than a week, probably.

They do not factor in previous seasons. They have

Sep 30, 2018, 1:36 PM

said that repeatedly.

Sep 30, 2018, 9:52 AM

I'm sure Dabo loves it! Let them feed everyone else the rat poison.

Oklahoma going to OT vs Army was impressive

Sep 30, 2018, 10:13 AM

Imagine if they had to do it against an undefeated power 5 team with their previously 3rd string QB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2018, 10:14 AM

Off topic in this thread but can someone please tell me why Dabo doesn’t have Spiers rugby punting? At least when we’re backed up or maybe give Potter a chance. Tia.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:34 AM

Lol....its not where you start, but where you finish. Our tigers we make the tools get crow.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:36 AM

Who cares...we need to beat the team we are playing. We win the Division, We win the ACC Championship we are in. These mean nothing.

Sep 30, 2018, 10:37 AM

1) ESPN has no one on selection committee. 2) Clemson plays hard and wins out thru ACC Championship Game, we sit back and see how it all comes together. 3) If 2 SEC Teams end up in final four for playoffs, current system is no better than BCS. If you can't win your South Eastern Conference Championship, enjoy your off season. ESPN NEEDS TO SHUT UP AND LET THE COMMITTEE DO IT'S JOB. ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS TV RANKINGS AND SELLING COMMERCIALS. GO TIGERS!!!

Sep 30, 2018, 11:40 AM

LSU will give alabama all they can handle.

Well, if we hadn’t lost yesterday...

Sep 30, 2018, 11:44 AM

we’d be in much better shape.

Sep 30, 2018, 11:46 AM

Until ND joins a conference with a championship game, they should not even be eligible. Playing 1 less game is a huge advantage. F Notre Dame. The only one of those teams better than us right now is Alabama. And we stand to improve more by season end than they do.

Sep 30, 2018, 11:56 AM

Problem is this....SEC champ is in...and 2 SEC teams should bama pull the same stunt as last year. If OU, OSU, ND, and Clemson all win out....1 or 2 teams are gonna be on the outside looking in

ND not being in a conference will hurt them.***

Sep 30, 2018, 1:05 PM

Replies: 68
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic