Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Cardinals want Isaiah Simmons to focus on one position
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 3,239

TNET: Cardinals want Isaiah Simmons to focus on one position

May 12, 2020, 9:18 AM

Cardinals want Isaiah Simmons to focus on one position

The Arizona Cardinals got the most versatile player in last month's NFL Draft when they drafted former Clemson defender Isaiah Simmons with the No. 8 overall pi Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they are trying to lock him into one position, they have

May 12, 2020, 9:21 AM

already proven they don't know what they got. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not necessarily true...

May 12, 2020, 9:37 AM

... he said they know his flexibilty and would use him in different schemes. But as an NFL coach, it sounds like he drafted him because he saw higher potential in one specific position. That's not a bad thing. Any fool knows you can't be all things to all people.... and in the NFL, it's doubtful you can be "all positions" and succeed. Focus is never a bad thing... for anyone.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Gotta start somewhere

May 12, 2020, 9:56 AM [ in reply to If they are trying to lock him into one position, they have ]

I start training new employees by focusing on their main task. When they show mastery, they can grow into almost any role. Coach speak aside....the approach seems reasonable. I

Simmons had to do a lot for our defense to be good, in the

May 12, 2020, 2:42 PM [ in reply to If they are trying to lock him into one position, they have ]

NFL that shouldn't be the case. More talent on the field will let Simmons shine. He'll move around quite a bit still I would imagine, but not as much as Clemson did (ie nickle and safety)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If they are trying to lock him into one position, they have

May 12, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to If they are trying to lock him into one position, they have ]

You have to realize too that Simmons is really a Safety. He played several positions last year because 1) It confused college QBs/OCs, and 2) He's a better OLB and Nickel CB than what we had on our roster.

He's now on a professional football team with grown ### men who get paid to do this for a living. He is not a better OLB than whoever AZ has. He's not a better nickel CB than whoever they have. Why would he take their spot on certain packages when it'd be better to have him in their every snap as a Safety, and then just move him around in different packages?

Tony didn't even do a good job in reading the quote.

TC: "The organization wants Simmons to focus on one position instead of playing all over the field like he did at Clemson."

Kingsbury: ""Our thought process, is if he is really able to focus on one position, having the flexibility to still move around, but really focus on one, what does that look like?"

Way to sensationalize, Tony

Fake news...***

May 12, 2020, 10:12 AM

Makes sense to me.

May 12, 2020, 10:15 AM

As the saying goes, “Jack of all trades, master of none.”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Makes sense to me.

May 12, 2020, 10:30 AM

And usually correct. But in this case, "Master of all."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

so you wouldn’t have drafted him ?***

May 12, 2020, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Makes sense to me. ]

I absolutely would've drafted him.

May 12, 2020, 12:25 PM

He's incredibly talented and versatile. But as a rookie, I think it makes sense for him to focus on learning the ins and outs of one position. He can still be used in different ways. As he adjusts to professional football, he can certainly start learning other positions. But for now, there is no need to risk overwhelming a rookie by asking him to learn multiple positions from day one.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: TNET: Cardinals want Isaiah Simmons to focus on one position

May 12, 2020, 10:52 AM

Well Kingsbury really knows defense. I heard they were going to use him exclusively on FG/XP block units because of his reach.

May 12, 2020, 11:47 AM

A sound decision. After Isaiah masters the OLB position, the secondary is next.

This is the NFL and he's just a rookie. One step at a time. It will take 2-3 years before he's 1st team All-Pro.

Exactly.

May 12, 2020, 12:26 PM

It's silly to expect any rookie to come in and learn multiple positions. The NFL is a huge adjustment, even for a guy as talented and smart as Simmons.

May 12, 2020, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Cardinals want Isaiah Simmons to focus on one position ]

Wow 1st team all Pro in 2-3 years at OLB? That’s gonna be a tough get but let’s hope he does. That would mean in 2-3 seasons he’s the best OLB in the game or 2nd best however u look at it. I just hope he makes a pro bowl in the first 2-3 years then going for all pro after that. It took Nuk 5 years to get to All Pro.

May 12, 2020, 4:41 PM

I would venture to guess that it took NUK 5 yrs to be all-pro because of the lousy selection of Houston QBs before DW4 got there.

May 12, 2020, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Cardinals want Isaiah Simmons to focus on one position ]

I meant to say "at least" 2-3 years.

His coverage skills on TEs and RBs are going to blow people away. This is what will set him apart from other OLBs. If Isaiah can shed blockers and play the run better than expected, he'll almost become too valuable at LB to ever move to the secondary.

Hopefully that isn't permanent

May 12, 2020, 11:58 AM

You are wasting a lot of his potential locking him into one spot. Maybe do it for awhile and let him master one position then unleash him?

I'm sure that's the plan.

May 12, 2020, 12:27 PM

Although I bet it won't keep some of our fans from claiming that the Cardinals are wasting his talent.

Re: Hopefully that isn't permanent

May 12, 2020, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Hopefully that isn't permanent ]

It appears Simmons, like DW4, is selected by another dysfunctional NFL team. Hope he survives the foolishness.

May 12, 2020, 3:02 PM

Would have been great if the article had mentioned what position they wanted him to play.

May 12, 2020, 5:40 PM

Finally...someone noticed that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which one?***

May 12, 2020, 5:46 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2020, 5:50 PM

That decision will probably change after the first week of practice.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 3,239
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic